Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Author Profile Image - Copyright Issues

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rene (new)

Rene Folsom (renefolsom) | 26 comments An author has pointed out to me that her copyrighted photo was added to her profile and has since been removed. However, when you view her profile while you're not logged into Goodreads, it still shows her copyrighted photo, even though it is completely gone from her profile once logged in. The librarian who helped her remove the photo even put in a note asking others to refrain from using that particular photo. I'm just curious as to why it would still show up to someone who is not logged in.

Are there any librarians or GR staff that has come across this issue? I suggested to her that we upload a generic photo to her profile (maybe a book cover of hers or something) to replace and hopefully override this little quirk.

Author: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 2: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool I can't see this author's photo while signed out. Could it be something to do with your computer's cache? (said I, trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about...)

message 3: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I tried signing out and then viewing the page. There is no author photo showing even when I am signed out.

It may be a caching issue. Was the photo deleted recently? If so, it may be a few days before the cache clears.

message 4: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 871 comments it's very likely it's a cache issue. Have the author (and yourself if you see the photo too) empty their browser's cache, restart the browser and check again. (I see no photo of the author myself.)

message 5: by Rene (new)

Rene Folsom (renefolsom) | 26 comments She just posted this issue on her Facebook page today, so I was looking into it for her. I have no idea when the photo changes were made, but it seems to have cleared itself up within the past few minutes. I don't think it was a caching issue on my end, as I have never viewed her profile before, but I do believe now it probably just took time for the changes to take effect.

Sorry to have bothered anyone with this. I think she was just being pressured by the photographer to get it removed and seemed to be a bit frantic.

Thanks for taking a look!

message 6: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments It could be a cache on your ISP's systems. That is one of the results of proxy servers.

message 7: by Rene (new)

Rene Folsom (renefolsom) | 26 comments Caching was my first thought, but turned out not to be the case. My best bet is the author was just eager to see the changes take effect within minutes.

I'm a web programmer, so I know all about caching and how to flush my ISP, DNS, and browser cache, etc. This just happened to be something that took a few hours for the changes to take effect across the board.

message 8: by Banjomike (last edited Sep 02, 2012 03:34AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Rene wrote: "how to flush my ISP"

Great, you can tell ME how to flush the cache on the ISP's proxy server. It frequently get into a knot and just serve up the same old crud.

message 9: by Rene (new)

Rene Folsom (renefolsom) | 26 comments Are you on a PC or Mac?

message 10: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Rene wrote: "Are you on a PC or Mac?"

PC, Windows 7 - 32 bit

message 11: by Rene (new)

Rene Folsom (renefolsom) | 26 comments First step:
Close out of your browser session (and clear your browser cache if you feel the need to).

Second step:
To flush your ISP DNS cache on Windows 7, you will need to run a command prompt (which can be run from Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt application). Once you have the command prompt application open, type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes of course). That should refresh your ISP's DNS cache. Now you can close out of the command prompt application and open your browser.

Hopefully this will help. I have to use this often when making web and DNS changes. Have a good day Banjomike! :)

* Just in case there are any Mac users who want to do the same: After clearing your browser cache, be sure to completely exit out of your browser instead of docking it. Open the Terminal app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and type "dscacheutil -flushcache" - that's it.

message 12: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Rene wrote: "Hopefully this will help. I have to use this often when making web and DNS changes. Have a good day Banjomike! :)"

Nice. Thanks.