What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Juvenile/YA: 3 african (american?) boys' adventures

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by banana (new)

banana (bananah) | 6 comments I know this is a chapter book and that one of the character's names is Agamemnon. I haven't actually read this, I'm looking for it for someone else. I believe there are a series of these books, but that may not be true. Thanks!

message 2: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments I started to suggest The Troy Trilogy by David Gemmell, but it doesn't fit the African reference. Is there anything else about the plot, or when it was published?

message 3: by banana (new)

banana (bananah) | 6 comments April Ann wrote: "I started to suggest The Troy Trilogy by David Gemmell, but it doesn't fit the African reference. Is there anything else about the plot, or when it was published?"

Oops. I wasn't very clear: I don't necessarily think there are three books, though there are definitely more than one, but three boys! My feeling was that these books were checked out from the library 10-20 years ago, though maybe longer ago.

message 4: by April Ann (last edited Feb 02, 2009 05:39AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments I found something from 1988, although it doesn't mention a character named Agamemnon, it's about a gang set in Harlem. It's Scorpians by Walter Dean Myers, (Newberry Honor Book). Summary: After reluctantly taking on the leadership of the Harlem gang, the Scorpions, Jamal finds that his enemies treat him with respect when he acquires a gun until a tragedy occurs.

He also wrote Won't Know Until I get there. 1982Summary: Fourteen-year-old Stephen, his new foster brother, and his friends are sentenced to help out at an old age home for the summer after Stephen is caught writing graffiti on a train.

And Motown and Didi 1984, Who Owns the Sun? 1988, Hoops:A Novel 1981.

There's an extensive list of Mr. Myers' book on Fantastic Fiction. He is AKA Stacie Johnson.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/w...

Is there anything else about the plot, such as family dynamics? Were they in the North or South? City or Country?

message 5: by banana (new)

banana (bananah) | 6 comments Wow. I have no idea if this is the book but I will let you know after I suggest it. Thanks for the great research!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 29414 comments Mod
Banana, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

Was it Scorpions suggested @4?