Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: Team-Challenge Threads > ♪Team 1: ONE-EYED PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS

Comments Showing 51-100 of 323 (323 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments I'm done too! Will review once I get back from walking the dog.

message 52: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Book: First You Run by Roxanne st. Claire
Rating: ★★★1/2
Finished: Sept 8th
Review: This is book #4 in the Bullet Catchers, a series that I am enjoying very much. However, something is missing from this installment. The main characters lack the chemistry of the previous couples and the hero didn't really appeal to me although the heroine is lovely. It got better toward the end though and I will still continue with the series.

Song Link: Author's name is Roxanne

message 53: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 08, 2012 06:34AM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3932 comments Book: Breathe by Kristen Ashley
Finished: Sept 8th
Review: This is book #4 in the Colorado Mountain series. I have really enjoyed this series but this is the weakest so far. My biggest problem with this book was the heroine and her "voice", I didn't like the way she expresses herself. She is always either whispering, mumbling, muttering or inserting every other word with "um" or she goes the other extreme. She yells and rants using SF program analogies and uses the word "frak" way too much. It annoyed the heck out of me.

Song Link: Hero is a police officer.

message 54: by Lauren (last edited Sep 08, 2012 07:33AM) (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Well done ladies! We have read and reviewed all of this week's books. I'm off to turn up our music.

Week 1: ♬ "Roxanne" - The Police (1978)
Completed: 4/4

Gisela: Breathe by Kristen Ashley - ★★★1/2 Review
Vi: Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie - ★★★★ Review
Lauren: First You Run by Roxanne St. Claire - ★★★1/2 Review
Zina: Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver - ★★★★ Review

Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4) by Kristen Ashley Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) by Agatha Christie First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4) by Roxanne St. Claire Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver

message 55: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments Neat review, Zina! I understand there is a bit of a cliffhanger at the end of that one. You don't mind that? Are you going to read the next one soon?

message 56: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments Loved your review, Vi! I was a Christie book fan big time, too! Still am, though I mostly watch her stuff on PBS.

message 57: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments Lauren, spot-on review. I lost track of that series, and I think it was b/c of this book. LOL!

message 58: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments Super! Congrats on all of you posting your reviews, Purple People Eaters! Cupcakes all around.

[image error]

message 59: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments FANTASTIC WORK guys!!

message 60: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Lisa Kay wrote: "Neat review, Zina! I understand there is a bit of a cliffhanger at the end of that one. You don't mind that? Are you going to read the next one soon?"

Thanks. I didnt mind the ending i have the rest being shipped probably early next week so i can continue the series.

message 61: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Lisa Kay wrote: "Super! Congrats on all of you posting your reviews, Purple People Eaters! Cupcakes all around.

"

Great pic thanks

message 62: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3932 comments Cute cupcake!

message 63: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Thanks, LK! I managed to finish one more I had (A Caribbean Mystery) but that was ok. The first had more flair, I guess. Thanks for the cute but weird cupcake!

Great work, ladies!!

message 64: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Thanks Lisa Kay. I'm intrigued enough by the suspense plot to keep on going with the series. I've also noticed that they seem to fit into my challenges quite easily.

Love the cupcake - a three-eyed purple people eater, lol!

message 65: by Vi (last edited Sep 12, 2012 03:53AM) (new)

Vi | 592 comments Next song is posted! From CaroB's post:

Week 2: ♪♩ "Killing Me Softly" - The Fugees (1996)

Possible links:
♩ Author or character First names Lauren (any spelling) or Lori, or surname Hill.
♩ A book where one of the characters is a refugee.
♩ One of the main characters being hunted.
♩ One of the main characters is an Assassin.
♩ Either of the words "Kill" or "Soft" in the title.
♩ Any book set in the Caribbean.
♩ Any book set in or published in the 90s.

*Again, these are just some ideas to help you along. Feel free to come up with your own, but I will be checking to validate book-song links. If you need more ideas, check out the lyrics HERE.
Please remember, when you finish reading,to make some part of review bold. Thanks.

♩ Direct quote from my husband: "Couldn't it be about ninja teddy bears?" Ummm, yes. Yes , it could.

message 66: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Thankfully, I was just about to start the The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson; a war just ended - so there are bound of refugees in the book. Also, Vin, the main lead acts as an assassin for the Emperor, her husband. She calls herself the Emperor's Knife. I'm thinking this would be a perfect fit for this week's song. But I'm getting confirmation from CaroB, JIC.

message 67: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments CaroB okay'd The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson. As the book's a chunky, it'll take me a few days to finish it. I can't wait to see what you guys pick :)

TO help:

GR Assassins Shelf
GR Books in Caribbean
Books Set in Caribbean (External)

message 68: by Lauren (last edited Sep 12, 2012 04:54AM) (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments So excited about the new song!
Will post back soon with my choice of book.

For Killers/Assassins, I recommend:

Assassin's Honor (Order of the Sicari, #1) by Monica Burns by Monica Burns - excellent characters and world building
Black Ice (Ice, #1) by Anne Stuart by Anne Stuart - all the heroes in this series are killers and although they are vicious, you can help falling in love with them.

message 69: by Vi (last edited Sep 12, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

Vi | 592 comments I found that there is no middle ground for Anne Stuart: Either you love or you hate. It was the latter for me but 90% of my friends gush about her.

I'll recommend from the GR shelf:

Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder - YA, Romance, Fantasy. Superb world-building and a refreshingly original story.
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost - PNR, Adult. Actually, the female lead is a vampire-hunter but it ended up on this list. One of the hottest PNR out there.
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh - UF, Adult. Again, a vampire-hunter. It has Raphael, one of the hottest guy ever.

message 70: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Morning...Well after searching through my books I decided to go with Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I really like Kenyon's style of writing. Some good books on that assassin shelf....have fun picking your books...

message 71: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments OK, after much deliberation I've decided on Hidden Away (KGI, #3) by Maya Banks by Maya Banks.

The heroine is being hunted after witnessing a murder.

message 72: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 12, 2012 06:17PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3932 comments I'm going to read Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers and if it turns out unfinishable (is that a word?) then I'll reread Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder.

message 73: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Oh Gisela, I've been wanting to start the Study series for a little while.

Love the dress in Grave Mercy though!

message 74: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 186 comments Gisela I loved Grave Mercy! I really didn't think I would but once I got into it I couldn't put it down!

message 75: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments I like that word, Gisela: "unfinishable." LOL!

message 76: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments BTW, hope it is not!

message 77: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments OK Teamies, how's it going with this week's read?

I am 22% in with Hidden Away. My brother and sister-in-law have gone back to Belguim so I'm hoping to pick up my reading pace.

message 78: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments I'm about 47% in with the Hero of Ages. I hope to complete it by today but.. The book is so engrossing that I don't want to put it down but I need to get the guest room ready for my sister-in-law who's coming for the weekend.

message 79: by Rosina (new)

Rosina I am about 15% done with my book. I am struggling a bit with it hoping to get some read today. The story hasnt really grabbed me yet. I always have problems connecting with stories that involve planets and people with unusual names.

I do like the dark hunters series and usually her writing is a fast read. I ll keep going with it and hope it grabs my attention soon.

I have a busy day planned. Girls day out - shopping,lunch and pedis. The four of us go to vegas next thursday for 5 days. So excited.

message 80: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments I haven't read that one, Zina. Super about Vegas! I'm excited for you. LOL!

message 81: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Finished my book. Will post a review tomorrow morning.

message 82: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Wow Lauren, that was quick reading!

Zina, I'm so jealous of the Vegas trip, way cool for you!! How are you going to handle your 4 team challenges with a holiday?

message 83: by Vi (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:14PM) (new)

Vi | 592 comments Week 1: ♪♩ "Killing Me Softly" - The Fugees (1996)

Book: The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
Rating:★★★★★
Date Finished:14/Sep/12
Review: This is the conclusion to the stunning Mistborn trilogy. The mistborn trilogy is one of the best fantasy out there. The traditional tropes are turned upside down and it tackles a variety of topics. It has magic, fights, romance, politics AND religion. At the end of books 1 and 2, we are left with a lot of questions. How did the world end up as it is now? What happened to the prophecy? In book 3, we meet our main characters as they try to defeat the evil force. They end up being one step behind but slowly we get all the answers. The issue of religion is tackled prominently in this book but it is done so deftly that it did not feel forced. The last 100 pages is where you see everything coming together and I literally couldn't put the book down. Sanderson manages to tie up all the loose ends and gives a very unexpected twist at the end. I'm so glad that I finally read this trilogy. It's going on my all-time favorites.

Song Link: The female lead is an assassin.

message 84: by Rosina (new)

Rosina CaroB wrote: "Wow Lauren, that was quick reading!

Zina, I'm so jealous of the Vegas trip, way cool for you!! How are you going to handle your 4 team challenges with a holiday?"

I hope to get them done...have some beach time at mandalay bay...soooo excited went shopping today and had so much fun with the girls

message 85: by Lauren (last edited Sep 14, 2012 10:34PM) (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments @CaroB - Thanks, it was an easy read.

@Zina - Wow! That is fantastic. I've only been to Vegas once and the thing that stands out the most is the lion that lives in the MGM, lol! Hope you have a wonderful time.

@Vi - So glad you enjoyed your book. I love the bittersweet feeling you get when finishing an excellent series. On the one had you are satisfied that it ended so well but on the other you are disappointed that there are no more books to come.

message 86: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Book: Hidden Away by Maya Banks
Finished: Sept 14th
Review: Disappointing - was expecting more from Garrett's book as he is my favorite Kelly brother.
The story gets off to a slow start but thankfully the pace eventually picks up once the suspense plot gains momentum. Unfortunately, there are three separate suspense stories and none is sufficiently developed or resolved satisfactorily.
The romance is the strongest aspect of the book as Sarah and Garrett have a sweet and emotional bond.The secondary characters are entertaining, especially Rusty and Sean as well as Rio and Steele, who is particularly intriguing.

Song Link: Heroine is being hunted after witnessing a murder.

message 87: by Rosina (new)

Rosina CaroB wrote: "Wow Lauren, that was quick reading!

Zina, I'm so jealous of the Vegas trip, way cool for you!! How are you going to handle your 4 team challenges with a holiday?"

Sorry i didnt really answer your question about the 4 challenges. So i plan on taking my kobo and two paperbacks with me. I am hoping that two books will overlap on the challenges so that at most i will have 3 to read.
My challenges are called on wed, fri n sun. So timing is good. Before i leave i plan on 3 of 4 challenges to be read. I leave thurs and return monday.
We will be busy but will still get in 4 hours a day of reading. Lots of ool time planned. My only worry is that i dont have books that will work and i end up buying books.

Current book i am reading is not really capturing my attention. Will continue with it but not too happy with it.

Ok just had a thought. All books have to be read within the week in order to get counted or is this like other challenges where it gets counted when finished?

message 88: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments Neat review, Vi! I agree with Lauren; bittersweet when a series ends.

message 89: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments Thanks for the heads up on that one, Lauren! Neat review.

message 90: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments The book itself had a bittersweet ending that just enhanced the whole experience. It took me a while to get over the ending. Overall, exhilarating and bittersweet.

Zina, from what CaroB said, it's like the other challenges. It counts when we all have read a song. We just have to do it before the challenge ends.

message 91: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2012 04:35PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3932 comments Book: Grave Mercy
Rating: ★★★★1/2
Review: I enjoyed this more than I thought I would! The heroine is very believable. She grows throughout the book. She begins being helpless, then she grows stronger. By the end of the book she is strong enough to do what she believes is right. The intrigue is very well done. The romance is very sweet too!

Song Link: Heroine is an assassin.
Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers

message 92: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3932 comments Vi wrote: " Week 1: ♪♩ "Killing Me Softly" - The Fugees (1996)

Book: The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
Rating:★★★★★
Date Finished:14/Sep/12
Review: This is the conclusion to the stunning Mistborn tr..."

I've been meaning to start this series for a while! It's definitely going up on my tbr!

message 93: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Wow, 4 and a half stars, I'll definitely have to get that one Gisela!

message 94: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20798 comments Neat review, Gisela! Look intriguing.

message 95: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Way to go ladies - we are on track for our 2nd groovy dancer!

message 96: by Rosina (new)

Rosina I am hoping to be finished tonight. This book has been a real struggle for me to connect with story or characters.

message 97: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Book Born of Night
Rating 3.5*stars
Finished Sept 17 2012

Review This book started out slow for me. I normally dont read sci fi space stories. I have problems concentrating when I am reading unfamiliar names. After 250 pages of perservering the story grabbed my attention. Nykyrian is an assassin. Kiara is a dancer she has been kidnaped. Nykyrian is a tortured soul, physically and emotionally. Kiara sees the true hero behind his defenses and falls in love and teaches him how to love. There is action a good story about Nykyrians past life. Started as a 2 star for me but ended up being a 4 star.

Link Hero is an assassin.

message 98: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Glad you ended up enjoying your book Zina. Sherrilyn Kenyon's writing is usually so smooth. Nevertheless, there are books of hers that I've had trouble getting into.

message 99: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Woohoo! We have read all our books this week. I'm off to get our dance card groovified!

Week 2: ♬ "Killing Me Softly" - The Fugees (1996)
Completed: 4/4

Gisela: Grave Mercy by R. L. LaFevers - ★★★★1/2 Review
Vi: The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson - ★★★★★ Review
Lauren: Hidden Away by Maya Banks - ★★★1/2 Review
Zina: Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon - ★★★1/2 Review

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson Hidden Away (KGI, #3) by Maya Banks Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 100: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Lauren wrote: "Glad you ended up enjoying your book Zina. Sherrilyn Kenyon's writing is usually so smooth. Nevertheless, there are books of hers that I've had trouble getting into."

I agree her writing is really good. At the beginning of the book she told the story about how the book came to be. She wrote it in the mid 80s finished it gave it to her brother to read. He loved it and then 3 weeksnn later he died so then it sat on the shelf for years. She didnt write for years and then took up the pen again.

So it is her early work. Still a good story but her current stuff is so much more enjoyable.