Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: Team-Challenge Threads > ♪Team 1: ONE-EYED PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS

Comments (showing 1-50 of 323) (323 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by CaroB (last edited Sep 04, 2012 07:09AM) (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Team 1: ONE-EYED PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS
Co-Captains: Lauren & Zina

♪Gisela
♪Vi
♬Lauren
♬Zina

message 2: by CaroB (last edited Oct 22, 2012 02:58PM) (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Dance Card

message 3: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Hi team!! I'm excited to start the team challenge.

message 4: by Lauren (last edited Oct 26, 2012 02:06AM) (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Dance Party Team Challenge
Team 1: One-Eyed Purple People Eaters
Weekly Reads

Week 1: ♬ "Roxanne" - The Police (1978)
Completed: 4/4

Gisela: Breathe by Kristen Ashley - ★★★1/2 Review
Vi: Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie - ★★★★ Review
Lauren: First You Run by Roxanne St. Claire - ★★★1/2 Review
Zina: Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver - ★★★★ Review

Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4) by Kristen Ashley Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) by Agatha Christie First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4) by Roxanne St. Claire Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver

Week 2: ♬ "Killing Me Softly" - The Fugees (1996)

Gisela: Grave Mercy by R. L. LaFevers - ★★★★1/2 Review
Vi: The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson - ★★★★★ Review
Lauren: Hidden Away by Maya Banks - ★★★1/2 Review
Zina: Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon - ★★★1/2 Review

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson Hidden Away (KGI, #3) by Maya Banks Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Week 3: ♬ "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon & Garfunkel (1970)

Gisela: Sea Swept by Nora Roberts - ★★★★ Review
Vi: The Charm School by Susan Wigg - ★★★★ Review
Lauren: Ruthless by Anne Stuart - ★★★★ Review
Zina: Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas - ★★★★1/2 Review

Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #1) by Nora Roberts The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1) by Susan Wiggs Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1) by Anne Stuart Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

Week 4: ♬ "I'm Yours" - Jason Mraz (2008)

Gisela: Lord of the Fading Lands by C. L. Wilson - ★★★★★ Review
Vi: Silver Borne by Patrica Briggs - ★★★★ 1/2 Review
Lauren: Ecstasy Unveiledby Larissa Ione - ★★★★1/2 Review
Zina: Sins of the Soul by Eve Silver - ★★★★ Review

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica, #4) by Larissa Ione Sins of the Soul (Otherkin, #2) by Eve Silver

Week 5: ♩♩ "Like A Virgin" - Madonna (1984)

Gisela: The Inconvenient Duchess by Christine Merrill - ★★★★ Review
Vi: Tempting the Bride by Sherry Thomas - ★★★★ Review
Lauren: Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas - ★★★★★ Review
Zina:It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas - ★★★★ Review

The Inconvenient Duchess by Christine Merrill Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3) by Sherry Thomas Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2) by Lisa Kleypas It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

Week 6: ♪♩ "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" - Greenday (1998)

Vi: Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay - ★★★★ Review
Gisela: The Dragon and the Pearl by Jeannie Lin - ★★★★ Review
Lauren: Possess Me at Midnight by Shayla Black - ★★★★ Review
Zina:Secret Vampire by L.J. Smith - ★★★★★ Review

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay The Dragon and the Pearl (Tang Dynasty, #2) by Jeannie Lin Possess Me at Midnight (Doomsday Brethren, #3) by Shayla Black Secret Vampire (Night World, #1) by L.J. Smith

Week 7: ♪♪ "My Boyfriend's Back" - The Angels (1963)

Gisela: Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione - ★★★★ Review
Vi: Blood Rites by Jim Butcher - ★★★★ Review
Lauren: Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning - ★★★ Review
Zina: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews - ★★★★★ Review

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6) by Jim Butcher Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews

Week 8: ♪♪ "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper (1983)

Gisela: If the Ring Fits by Cindy Kirk - ★★ Review
Vi: The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters - ★★★ Review
Lauren: To the Edge by Cindy Gerard - ★★★★ Review
Zina: C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton - ★★★1/2 Review

If the Ring Fits (Harlequin Special Edition) by Cindy Kirk The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2) by Elizabeth Peters To the Edge (Bodyguard, #1) by Cindy Gerard C is for Corpse (Kinsey Millhone, #3) by Sue Grafton

message 5: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments I think I've seen all of you across the Group. And maybe other group also. Great! Nothing like making new friends! :) I'll add you all as friends.

Is this your first team challenge? I've played in Bingo and that's my only experience.

message 6: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Hi Vi, Lauren, and Zina!

This is my first team challenge and ready to start!

GO TEAM! :D

message 7: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Morning ladies. Excited for this game to start. Looks like fun.

message 8: by Rosina (new)

Rosina so guess we better get to the business at hand...

Where are we all located and time zone?

I ll start off the suggestions for names. since we are team 1 and its a dance party I found some songs with one in the title...we could change them up by substituting books for some words

One Eyed Purple People Eater
One Way or Another
You're the One I Want
One More For the Road
One of These Nights
One Fine Book
One Hundred Sleepless Nights - had a few of those jamming reading in to finish a challenge deadline
One Book Leads To Another

Team Captain - at this point I ll say no just because I have a few challenges on the go and a few trips ..but I am willing to co-captain ...Just dont want to let the team done if I missed an update....

message 9: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments I like "One Eyed Purple People Eater"! As for Team Captain as a Mod, unless no one else wants to be captain, I don't think I should be it.

message 10: by Lauren (last edited Sep 03, 2012 12:57PM) (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments I also like "One Eyed Purple People Eater" (shouldn't it be Eaters though as there are 4 of us)?

This will be the second team game I've played (the first was the current round of Bookshelf Bingo).

Team Captain - I'm willing if no one else is interested but I do want to mentioned that my brother is visiting from Belgium for the next two weeks so I'm not sure how often I will be on. Would you be willing to co-captain with me, Zina?

message 11: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Sure Lauren i ll Co captain with you. Im sure between the two of us we can figure this out.

I too like One Eyed Purple People Eaters

message 12: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments I sent friend requests to all of you! Better accept or else! :D

message 13: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Crap! I refreshed the page before posting the comment.

I'm good with One Eyed Purple People Eater(s)

Lauren, Zina: Do you guys want to use post #4 as the Master post? If we are all agreed, then we can let CaroB know..

message 14: by Lauren (last edited Sep 03, 2012 11:09PM) (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Sounds good to me!
I have posted our team name and co-captains in the discussion thread.
We are off to a great start.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Here is the link to the ♪♪ Playlists so that we can begin looking for books that match (hopefully most will already be on our TBRs).

message 16: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Congrats on the funky team name and choosing co-captains! You're the second team on the board. I'm not on my computer at the moment, so I'll update your image tonight.

Good luck One-eyed Purple Eaters!

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments I created an open office file with the song titles so that we can make suggestions for themes and books.

Here is the link: Team #1 Song List

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20795 comments Very organized, Lauren!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Thanks Lisa Kay! It's my OCD tendencies.

message 20: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Lauren definitely good choice for captain...im still bumbling around on goodreads trying to figure stuff out...Will do my best as co-captain....

message 21: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Dance card updated in Post #2, above.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments We're gonna be a fantastic team Zina. Don't worry.

Thanks for the update CaroB.

message 23: by Rosina (last edited Sep 05, 2012 03:30AM) (new)

Rosina OK
Here we go. First song called.

Week 1: ♬ "Roxanne" - The Police (1978)

Possible links:
♩Author or character name Roxanne or Roxie.
♩One of the main characters is currently or used to work in the "Adult" industry.
♩Any book set in or published in the 70s.
♩One of the characters works for the Police or military or an active government agency.

*These are just some ideas to help you along. Feel free to come up with your own, but I will be checking to make sure it's a valid link to the song

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Thanks Zina.
Here are a couple of recommendations for author/character:

1. Roxanne St. Claire - romantic suspense author

2. Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver - the main character's name is Roxy. I loved this book, in fact, the whole series is excellent.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments OK, gone through my TBR and I will read First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4) by Roxanne St. Claire by Roxanne St. Claire.

message 26: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Thanks for the suggestions Lauren. I found Sins of the Heart available at my library's e-lending. I'll be reading that.

Another author to check on the police angle is J.D. Robb

On a side note what do you all think about us attempting to read the same book. A group read within a team chalenge could be fun.

message 27: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Zina, great suggestion on the JD Robb books! Eve is a great police officer and who doesn't want a dose of Roarke?

message 28: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Thanks. Ive never read any of them. Heard great reviews tho.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments J.D. Robb is Nora Roberts. I've many of her books and loved them but have never managed to work up the excitement that so many others do over Eve and Roarke - I think it is because the books are set in the future and I have difficulty with this genre.

It would be great to read a book as a group. Perhaps we could arrange something for next week.

message 30: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments I'm starting Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4) by Kristen Ashley tonight.

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20795 comments ♥ Small Town Cop stories. I voted on that list months ago, Gisela!

message 33: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Zina, love the red moonlight on the cover of your book for the week!

message 34: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments I'm lost in my TBR trying to narrow down my choices to a book that fit other challenges. I'm currently choosing between Kushiel's Mercy (Imriel's Trilogy, #3) by Jacqueline Carey or No Regrets (Delta Force, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher. First is on Courtesan list and in the second, the hero is in military which should work. If only I could select one..

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Great choices Vi!
Love Shannon K Butcher's Sentinel Wars but haven't read any of her romantic suspense yet.

message 36: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Thanks, Lauren! I'm hoping the RS series will be good. It's scary the number of series I'm reading.

message 37: by Rosina (new)

Rosina CaroB wrote: "Zina, love the red moonlight on the cover of your book for the week!"

Cool looking cover isnt it story is really good too

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Zina wrote: "CaroB wrote: "Zina, love the red moonlight on the cover of your book for the week!"

Cool looking cover isnt it story is really good too"

Glad you are enjoying it Zina. This series has one of the most unique mythologies I've ever encountered.

message 39: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Vi wrote: "I'm lost in my TBR trying to narrow down my choices to a book that fit other challenges. I'm currently choosing between Kushiel's Mercy (Imriel's Trilogy, #3) by Jacqueline Carey or No Regrets by Ace Frehley. First is on Courtesan ..."

Toss a coin! ;)

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1984 comments Went out to dinner with my brother and sister-in-law last night and got back very late. Then the dog kept me up all night so I slept in. All this means that I am behind in my reading.

How are you guys doing?

message 41: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments I'm about 40% done.

message 42: by Vi (last edited Sep 07, 2012 07:12AM) (new)

Vi | 592 comments I just finished Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) by Agatha Christie and one of the secondary characters featured prominently is a policeman. I wonder if that will count or should the main character be working for the Police? Maybe I should post in the main thread.

message 43: by Rosina (new)

Rosina I m about 65% done should finish today. Then i can start books for a few other challenges

message 44: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Vi, I've read that one. This book will count, not only is there a policeman, but the murder victim, around whom the whole mystery / whodunnit centers, is an ex-military magistrate.

I'll pay that one, you just need to rate and review.

message 45: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments I'm 72% done.

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12108 comments Gisela wrote: "I'm 72% done."

I'm around there too!
* just lurking around*

message 47: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Week 1: ♬ "Roxanne" - The Police (1978)

Book: Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver
Rating: ★★★★
Finished: 07-Sept-12
Review: This book was the first in the series Otherkin. I really enjoyed this story, so much that I ordered the next three in the series from our local library. The story grabbed me right from the start. The ending left me begging for more. Great story and cool twist on Mythology. Lauren recommended it and she was right it was a really good start to a series.
*SONG LINK: - Character's name Roxy

message 48: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Oh yeah! I didn't think of the murder victim in that connections. Thanks, CaroB!

CaroB wrote: "Vi, I've read that one. This book will count, not only is there a policeman, but the murder victim, around whom the whole mystery / whodunnit centers, is an ex-military magistrate.

I'll pay that ..."

message 49: by Vi (new)

Vi | 592 comments Week 1: ♬ "Roxanne" - The Police (1978)

Book: Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Rating:★★★★
Date Finished:7/Sep/12
Review: Christie used to be my staple when I was in school and later, in college when I found those missing books I couldn't read. This is the first book that introduces Miss Marple, one of Christie's famous detectives. The book is narrated by the Vicar and we get firsthand narrative of the events as it unfolds. At the end, Miss Marple just tells how the murder happened. I didn't even guess. It's rekindled my desire to read all of her books
*SONG LINK: One of the main secondary characters is a policeman and the murder victim is ex-military.

message 50: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments I'm done! I'm on phone so I'll post mini review later.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7