Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Specific List Authors > Iris Murdoch

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (mnium) | 141 comments I read and really enjoyed The Sea, The Sea. It was recommended to me by a friend who said that it was Murdoch's most accessible book.

Two of Murdoch's books--The Black Prince and The Nice and the Good--were in the first edition of 1001 Books but were dropped from the 2008 edition. In addition to The Sea, The Sea, A Severed Head, The Bell, and Under the Net are the Murdoch selections in the 2008 edition.

Have you read any of these? What would you recommend after The Sea, The Sea?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments It's interesting that they dropped the Black Prince. From what I've read I'd call it one of Murdoch's best.
I think you should start with Under the Net, just because it's her first, and I preferred it to the Bell. I've not read A Severed Head but it doesn't sound all that great. :-P

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (mnium) | 141 comments Thanks, Sarah!

message 4: by Ann Helen (new)

Ann Helen (bergenslabb) | 4 comments I've wanted to read The Sea, the Sea for ages, but I never seem to get around to it. I don't know why, but I'm convinced that it's a book I would love, though I've never read anything by Iris Murdoch. I probably need a push to start reading it.

message 5: by Denise (last edited Aug 31, 2012 05:35PM) (new)

Denise | 93 comments Ann Helen wrote: "I've wanted to read The Sea, the Sea for ages, but I never seem to get around to it. I don't know why, but I'm convinced that it's a book I would love, though I've never read anything by Iris Murdo..."

I recently read The Sea, the Sea and very much enjoyed it. It was my first Murdoch and I would recommend it as a beginning intro to Murdoch. The principle character is not one I particularly liked, nor does he grow on you. His attempt to retire from the public eye provides a moving story and a contrast to the other characters.

Ann Helen consider this a nudge.

message 6: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 27 comments I love Murdoch, and have read eleven of them, though not "The Sea, The Sea". My favourites are:
The Bell
The Flight from the Enchanter
A Fairly Honourable Defeat
The Time of the Angels
The Unicorn

My least favourite are Under the Net and Jackson's Dilemma.

(My reviews are here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/....)

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 14 comments I also love Murdoch. I think that her novels-body of work- follow no general template that can be helpful with all her works; each new novel you may feel you have to work as hard as the last to get into a groove. In the end of each book I feel amazed by that exceptional flexibility and talent, and find the work required in concentration, patience etc to gain solid footing is minor compared to the pay-off at novels end.

message 8: by Anu (new)

Anu (anu_datta) Just read "The Bell" and am looking forward to reading more books by Iris Murdoch.

message 9: by Tomchicago (new)

Tomchicago | 21 comments I read Under the Net and enjoyed it well enough, but I was interested to note above that there are folks who think there are better Murdoch novels. At this point, I'm looking to read The Bell.