Old Books, New Readers discussion

Wuthering Heights
This topic is about Wuthering Heights
2012 Classic Selections > September Book - Wuthering Heights

Comments (showing 1-50 of 91) (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Hello everyone, this month we will all attempt to read Wuthering heights by Emily Bronte by the end of the month. All coversation related to the book will be kept here and after you finish if you want to post your reviews that would be great!

Have fun!

Wayne Cain This will be a crazy read along side the Iliad.

As the Sun without retreat ascends, at the dawn of day, his reflection royaly piercing the eyes of all who gaze, upon, the cool and shimmerless lake; so Hector rises, his shield ablaze with Lightning, to the Wuthering Heights of Troy, his javelin to throw and his army to lead, against, the well-grieved Greeks.

Or something like that.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Haha, I think I migth have to wait on the Iliade. I would have to devote a full three -or more- months to just understanding the wordage.

Wayne Cain It's actually not that hard. Just pause at all the commas, and realize that all the semi-colons change the subject. He talks kind of backwards, I don't know how, but somehow I understand it.

Wayne Cain I'm always telling my wife she talks sideways. Maybe that's why.

Isabel | 36 comments I´ve read this book two or three times; but although it is a bit of a "dark" story, i do love reading it. Last week i saw the 1992 movie adaptation with Ralph Fiennes (a most strong and intense Heathcliff) and Juliette Binoche as Cathy. It is a very dark, intense, heart....breaking, ripping.....my english vocabulary is not good enough to express what i felt....i cried my heart out.

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments I've never read this book before and now I feel so excited to start reading it. Also, I will not be able to compare with the films from version 1992 or 2011 because I've never seen the movie too. Maybe later :D

Have fun all!

message 8: by Carol (last edited Sep 02, 2012 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Director Andrea Arnold's "Wuthering Heights" will be released in the US on October 5, 2012.

Joan I love the Brontes. My favorite is Charlotte's Jane Eyre. Although, Emily's Wuthering Heights is a somewhat dark book, what I love about it is, it's a very visual read.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments I have read this once, about six months ago, but I got lost in the charters. This time I think I will make up a charter list with all the names each charter is called. This way I hope to avoide so much confusion.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Oh thank you so much, that will really save some time, not just to get the book. I saw it for 6 bucks the otherday and am not kicking myself for not getting it. I gotThe Picture of Dorian Gray instead.

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Thanks Carol!

message 14: by Joan (last edited Sep 04, 2012 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Caitlin wrote: "I'll try to read this, alongside my other "intellectual" book The Count of Monte Cristo. Is Wuthering Heights like Jane Eyre (and Pride and Predjudice) Joan? I read and enjoyed those two and have h..."

Caitlin wrote: "I'll try to read this, alongside my other "intellectual" book The Count of Monte Cristo. Is Wuthering Heights like Jane Eyre (and Pride and Predjudice) Joan? I read and enjoyed those two and have h..."

Caitlin, Wuthering Heights is much darker story in it's setting; and, it's just my opinion, but I'd have to describe this book as having a dark psychological force that drives the story.

message 15: by Jada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments I read Wuthering Heights and did not like it. Jane Eyre is a much more gripping and personal story (partly because Jane Eyre is written in first person POV by the main character and WH is not). Since WH is told through flashback by a minor character we get a more objective yet, less exciting narrative. I couldn't fully grasp the love story because I didn't know what the characters were truly feeling. If it had been written in Heathcliff's perspective I think I would have enjoyed it much more.
Despite my dislike of actually reading it, WH opens so many interesting discussions. It has so much literary merit. Like did you know each of the main characters represents one of the four elements? Can anyone guess who is which element? :)
Also, it can be argued that Catherine and Heathcliff were actually half-siblings all along. What do you think?

Isabel | 36 comments Jada wrote: "I read Wuthering Heights and did not like it. Jane Eyre is a much more gripping and personal story (partly because Jane Eyre is written in first person POV by the main character and WH is not). S..."

Well, Heathcliff must surely be the FIRE; As for Catherine....i'm not sure...she's a bit cold...ice...water?
Earth...Hareton?
Wind... Cathy?

I don't know really...

message 17: by Ditte (new) - added it

Ditte | 26 comments I will try to join you guys in reading this books this month. :) I will be very busy this month, but I have never read Wuthering Heights before, and I certainly do need to read it.

Happy reading, everyone!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments I just wanted to let everyone know, that while reading it with us is great, you don't have to finish by the end of the month. The discussion of course will remain open for as long as this group stays alive. But you do have to deal with everyone talking about the ending before you get there :D

Laura (LCr3qu3) I read Wuthering Heights last year and loved it and I'm a huge fan of the old black and white film version with Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff. I'm excited to read it again!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments I wonder if watching the movie would help cement who each charter is in my mind, those of you who have seen the movie did you feel it helped at all?

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments I think, I would enjoy reading this book. From some of you who say this book is darker than Jane Eyre, it would be very interesting because lately I often read books with romantic theme and nice plot.

I was intrigued by what was Jada said. Is it true that the characters in this book represent the four elements? That's interesting.

I'm still in chapter 2. So excited to get into the climax!

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) A Misunderstood Masterpiece:
An Introduction to Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights is Emily Brontë's only novel, an impassioned, spellbinding tale considered to be one of the greatest literary works of all time. The story—as turbulent as its title suggests—transports the reader to the North Yorkshire moors to witness the drama of the Earnshaws and the Lintons, and the volatile, yet spiritual, relationship of Catherine and Heathcliff.

Wuthering Heights was first published in December 1847 under the pseudonym Ellis Bell with 250 copies printed. The novel met with harsh reactions from readers and critics who saw it as depressing and morose, and even immoral. The Examiner called it "a strange book...wild, confused, disjointed and improbable; and the people who make up the drama...are savages ruder than those who lived before Homer." Paterson’s magazine (U.S.) advised, "Read Jane Eyre… but burn Wuthering Heights."

This strong reaction was due in part to the book's intense examination of the human spirit. Readers accustomed to novels such as those by Jane Austen, published thirty-five years before, sought a realistic portrayal of the mores and manners of the English upper classes. Wuthering Heights, in contrast, focused not on society, but on the minds, hearts, and souls of its members. (Penguin Classics)

Isabel | 36 comments Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "I wonder if watching the movie would help cement who each charter is in my mind, those of you who have seen the movie did you feel it helped at all?"

It always helps to give a face to a name :)

Wayne Cain I'm up to chapter twelve, and all I know is that that Heathcliff is a dark, frightening, spell-binding, fascinating, cold, evil, charismatic, powerful character.

And Catherine is his evil twin.

message 25: by Jada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Isabel wrote: "Jada wrote: "I read Wuthering Heights and did not like it. Jane Eyre is a much more gripping and personal story (partly because Jane Eyre is written in first person POV by the main character and W..."

you're way wrong, sorry. Heathcliff is earth. Even his name says it, "heath" means earth and also cliff. lol. Catherine (the first one) is fire. Throughout the book she is described using works associated with it. Edgar is Water, him and Heathcliff put Catherine out. dirt and water kill fire. Isabella is wind. She is kinda flighty. She flew to Wuthering Heights with Heathcliff, then back to Thrashcross Grange, and then God knows where when she gave birth to Linton.

message 26: by Jada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "I wonder if watching the movie would help cement who each charter is in my mind, those of you who have seen the movie did you feel it helped at all?"

The movie only shows the first half of the book unfortunately. There are other more modern adaptations that might be more help with the characters.

message 27: by Jada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Nissa Tanura wrote: "I think, I would enjoy reading this book. From some of you who say this book is darker than Jane Eyre, it would be very interesting because lately I often read books with romantic theme and nice pl..."

Yes very true. Heathcliff is Earth. Catherine1 is fire. Isabella is wind. Edgar is water. Pay attention to the way they react to one another in the story and how they are described throughout the book.

Isabel | 36 comments Jada wrote: "Isabel wrote: "Jada wrote: "I read Wuthering Heights and did not like it. Jane Eyre is a much more gripping and personal story (partly because Jane Eyre is written in first person POV by the main ..."

uau...i'm way off then.... Heathcliff's passion led me off...:)

message 29: by Jada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Isabel wrote: "Jada wrote: "Isabel wrote: "Jada wrote: "I read Wuthering Heights and did not like it. Jane Eyre is a much more gripping and personal story (partly because Jane Eyre is written in first person POV..."

I think Cathy is more passionate and spirited that him. Besides Heathcliff is a gypsy and an outcast. He's always outside in the earth away from society.

message 30: by Nissa Tanura (last edited Sep 09, 2012 09:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Jada wrote: "Nissa Tanura wrote: "I think, I would enjoy reading this book. From some of you who say this book is darker than Jane Eyre, it would be very interesting because lately I often read books with roman..."

Interesting! Thanks Jada :)

I've got myself a little bit slow this month. I even only jump two chapter for 3 days...
But, it's so nice to read the review from all of you because I got some trouble with the characters in the beginning of this book. Just make me confuse.

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Wayne wrote: "I'm up to chapter twelve, and all I know is that that Heathcliff is a dark, frightening, spell-binding, fascinating, cold, evil, charismatic, powerful character.

And Catherine is his evil twin."

Yeah, couldn't agree more with this! Heathcliff is so powerful character.

Wayne Cain What about the narration.

At first I found it weird that Lockwood was even there. My mind just kinda pretended that Nelly was the narrator. Which she is, or kinda, through Lockwood.

But what's more weird is now she's gone and Lockwood informs us that he'll tell us the rest of the story like Nelly would tell it. Yow! Now that's....I don't know what.

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Wayne wrote: "What about the narration.

At first I found it weird that Lockwood was even there. My mind just kinda pretended that Nelly was the narrator. Which she is, or kinda, through Lockwood.

But what's ..."

It's not only weird, but also annoying!
But I enjoy it. Maybe because it's also the part of this novel. During that section (the part of Mr.Lockwood and Mrs. Dean) doesn't disrupt the flow of the story, it's okay :)

message 34: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora (lorabanora) Yes, that story within a story usually interests me...but with Wuthering Heights, the story is within a story within another story, and NOBODY is a reliable narrator! On some levels this reminds me of one of those half episodes of jerry Springer that I watched when I was sick with the flu. On other levels, it just about trumps every psychology text I was ever required to read, mixed with all the darkest mythos of the world. Heady stuff.
I'm still savoring the report posted above describing the intial reaction to this book when it was fresh and new. When we think of classics, we might be tempted to use words like 'old' and 'stuffy', but these books were once brand new, and many people were abuzz over them the way our general populace might be abuzz over football, or something. I like imagining that!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments At first I was also annyoed with Mr.Lockwood, like why was his charter there at all? What part was he fullfilling? But now I really like it being told from the third person. If it was told from the first person who would tell it? Heathcliff is bias and the story would be even darker told form his POV, Cathrine? Well I don't want to spoil the ending so I won't give the reason but it would be immpossible for Cathrine to tell it. The same with all the other charters, only Nelly could really tell it because she was not really invovled int he story just an onlooker. And why would she write a book about something like that> It had to be an outsider getting the story from an insider, it's the only way the story will work.

message 36: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob This was my first attempt at reading a 19th century classic. I was surprised by the dramatics and the exaggerated emotions. I was reminded of TV soap operas. So far this is the only classic story that has struck me as being so wildly emotional. Jane Eyre seemed tame in comparison.

As to the narration I enjoyed the way it was told and agree than no main character could have done the story justice, it had to be a neutral party.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments I just watched the 2009 version of "Wuthering Heights" and seeing the movie has helped clarify botht he charters and the story so much. I feel just heart broken for Heathcliff. The man who played Heathcliff in this version was spectactular! He was so perfect, in his grief, anger and utter hopessness.

However HEathcliff lives for his revenge rather like Edmund in "Count of monty Cristo" but I think in th eend his revenge does not fullfill him the same as Edmund find out.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Comparing the 2009 version of the movie to the BBC drama in 1998 the casting is way better in the 2009 versoin. They absoluty nail HEathcliff, but Cathy looks like she is from 2011 dressed up in costum.

But the story is truer in the BBC version. But the casting is just aweful, there isno passion, no emmotion, it is just boring.

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments So far, I like this book. :D
Btw, which movie version is the best if I want to watch? Any suggestion?

message 40: by Carol (last edited Sep 12, 2012 06:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) "Wuthering Heights" films/ trailers--
Only 3 films got Rotten Tomatoes (RT) ratings. I have the 1998 Masterpiece Theater version.

1939-RT 100% starring Lauren Olivier, Merle Oberon-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GiVj7...

1970 starring Anna Calder-Marshall, Timothy Dalton-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K30qb...

1992-RT 25% starring Juliette Binoche, Ralph Fiennes-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4clztb...

1998 starring Robert Cavanaugh, Orla Brady- (not trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhAbPo...

2009 starring Tom Hardy, Charlotte Riley-(not official trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaIqzm...

2011 UK/2012 US-RT 79% starring James Howson, Kaya Scodelario-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUWOCd...

message 41: by Jada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Who is yall's favorite character? Mine is Hareton.

message 42: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora (lorabanora) Last time I read this, the very relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine was a kind of character, a demon driving them over the cliff of their obsession. Now for this time, I am seeing Lockwood as a most interesting character. So many unanswered questions about him.
And those dogs! They're a mean animus of Heathcliff!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments HAhaha the dogs. I think Hareton is the most interesting. SO much going on with that boy, I wish there was more of his life and the love story with Cathrine after they are free. That would have made a much better story, although without the history behind it Hareton and Cathys love story mugth be a bit boring.

LunaBel  (Lunaluss) I've read this novel like a week or two ago. I have to say that I liked it very much.

Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "HAhaha the dogs. I think Hareton is the most interesting. SO much going on with that boy, I wish there was more of his life and the love story with Cathrine after they are free. That would have mad..."
I loved how it ended for them. They really deserved some happiness after all what happened to them. I also was amazed at how Hereton stayed faithful to Heathcliff till the end.

message 45: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob I can’t say he was my favorite and I was not able to understand all he had to say, but Joseph seemed to be the epitome of a cantankerous old man. It’s a shame about his Gooseberries.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Oh Jeseph got on my nerves. And it seemed like he had no loyalty to anyone. He did whatever he was told by who ever was in charge at the time.

LunaBel  (Lunaluss) And Joseph also stirs trouble. It's like if he likes it when there is fightings. He's also apathetic to everything but his religion.

message 48: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora (lorabanora) Joseph is a great example of writing where the background characters have as much 'fleshing out' as the main characters. He adds his own little spark, shall we say...

message 49: by Jada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "HAhaha the dogs. I think Hareton is the most interesting. SO much going on with that boy, I wish there was more of his life and the love story with Cathrine after they are free. That would have mad..."

I agree. I especially love how they hated each other at first. Despite everything Heathcliff did to make their lives miserable and make them opposites they still grew to love one another. I think that's the point of the story. To show that despite Heathcliff's wrath there is still hope.
I also wish they had told us where Heathcliff ran away to and how he got his money. He's a complete mystery. We don't know who his parents are (though I think Mr. Earnshaw was his father) or where he came from. We can't completely understand his and Cathy's love for one another. And he runs away with no hint about what he's been doing when he returns.

message 50: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora (lorabanora) That kind of reminds me of Anna Kerenina. The book was titled on one character, and her story seemed predominant, but that other guy and his story of hope prevailed in my mind. I forget his name, the nice guy.
As for Heathcliff himself, why he's just an ol alley cat that has so much noive that nobody can take their eyes offa him.

« previous 1