12 Books - Author Led Business Book Group discussion

The Inner Edge: The 10 Practices of Personal Leadership
This topic is about The Inner Edge
Book Discussions > The Inner Edge September 2012

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments This is the official discussion for our September book, The Inner Edge. Share your thoughts and questions below!

Joelle Jay | 7 comments Greetings, 12Books readers, and welcome to the dicussion for The Inner Edge!

To get off to a good start, I suggest reading the first chapter of the book by Friday.

When you have, I'm curious - What idea from the chapter resonates with you?

Amber Barnes | 2 comments I love the concept of the Mobius strip and that every leader has an inner and outer edge. I find that many leaders, myself included, spend so much time and energy focusing on others that they neglect the activities that give them energy and boost their effectiveness. This is a great reminder that the very best leaders need to focus on themselves too.

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments The picture you painted of the busy executive was really powerful. There was a line about how we look down on the person who gets home in time for dinner. I agree that we tend to associate success with busyness. Also, the short mention of renewal stuck out to me. I'm excited to learn more about that principle

Amber Barnes | 2 comments I'm on practice 3 - Take Action. I love the quote "It is not enough to be busy. The question is, what are we busy about?" Henry David Thoreau

Joelle Jay | 7 comments Greetings, readers! As you're reading through the first few chapters of the book,I'm interested to know what resonates with you.

One of the central promises of the book is that you CAN have succcess and quality of life at the same time:

-the financial success and the time you want with your family.

-the thriving business and a sense of peace and well-being.

-the personal achievements you want for yourself and the ability to meet others' needs as well.

My question for you is...Do you believe that? Send in your thoughts!

Joelle Jay | 7 comments By now if you're pacing yourself through the book, you've completed what I call The Cycle of Action. The Cycle of Action is the first three practices: Vision, Focus and Clarity.

How has getting Vision, Focus and Clarity made an impact for you?

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments Hey everyone. We have make the book's Executive Summary and all the worksheets and audios available for book group members. Visit www.joellekjay.com or the members section of 12booksgroup.com to download your copies today.

Joelle Jay | 7 comments What does it feel like to lead with your strengths? What difference does it make for you to identify your values? How do the shortcuts for maximizing your time reduce your stress and busy-ness?

These are the questions to consider when you've read the middle practices in The Inner Edge. Share your thoughts!

message 10: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Farmer | 1 comments I'm excited for tomorrow's webinar but I'll ask a question here if its ok. The stories you tell in your book make me wonder if when you start working with someone, do you take them thru the full 10 principles or do you just work with people where they need help? If I ask my team to read the book should I assign chapters based on needs or ask everyone to go thru the full book?

message 11: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken | 17 comments Envisioning my goals has made it easier to really prioritize the projects that get me closer to my ultimate vision without feeling guilty for not getting to everything on my list.

message 12: by Jacob (last edited Sep 27, 2012 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacob (paulsen) | 245 comments Fantastic webinar with Joelle today. The recording will be available in the next day or two on our group website. Also, many of the things we referenced in the call can be found on Joelle's site: www.joellekjay.com

Thanks everyone who participated.

Jacob

Joelle Jay | 7 comments Frank wrote: "I'm excited for tomorrow's webinar but I'll ask a question here if its ok. The stories you tell in your book make me wonder if when you start working with someone, do you take them thru the full 10..."

Great question, Frank. People learn in different ways, so I like to give them a choice. My recommendation woudl be to share the book with them and give them an overview of what's in it, and assign the first chapter to get them all on the same page (literally!). After that you can assign chapters that suit you, but some of your team members will prefer to read the book "in order," which is even better.

How does that sound to you? Any other opinions out there? What do the rest of you think?

Joelle Jay | 7 comments Ken wrote: "Envisioning my goals has made it easier to really prioritize the projects that get me closer to my ultimate vision without feeling guilty for not getting to everything on my list."

Living life guilt-free!! Congratulations on the clarity!

message 15: by James (new)

James Oh | 4 comments I am so excited to look forward to this sort of discussion amongst the like minded people. At the end of the day, we can empower each other to do more with less, that goes far beyond our individual limitations.

So, let us stay hungry, be foolish.

James Oh

Joelle Jay | 7 comments Thank you all for a lively Q&A on the webinar last week, and please stay in touch! All my best to you as you continue on your path to be a better leader...and lead a better life!