Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > Do you prefer to watch movies at home or at the theater?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Do you prefer to watch movies at home or at the theater? Why or why not?

message 2: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 373 comments Love to 'go out' to a movie, but I can't hear the dialogue about 40-50% of the time. At home I can use captions. I guess I enjoy them more at home. Also, 'going out' here in Glens Falls often means attending a movie aimed at 11-19 year olds: lots of computer-animated (comic book) action, dozens of car chases and screenwriters who think 90% of their audience is expected to be idiots.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 01, 2009 09:43AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments LOL - I see your point, Earl. (g)
Personally, I like the comfort of home. I get restless sitting in those seats at the movies.

Did you know that some theaters supply hearing devices to their customers to use while watching the movie? They do that at the Spa Little Theater in Saratoga.

message 4: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 373 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "LOL - I see your point, Earl. (g)
Personally, I like the comfort of home. I get restless sitting in those seats at the movies.

Did you know that some theaters supply hearing devices to their custo..."

Yeah, I've tried them. 10 years ago they helped. Now I have 4 grand worth of digital hearing aids. They help. I now can hear 50% of the dialogue. I hear this complaint from hearing aid wearers all the time. They can get by with the aids in most circumstances, but certain tv shows and almost all movies are semi-unintelligible. I think the problem is that the movie sound men play games with the dialogue after a scene is shot, contaminating it with various noises to suit themselves. I have a huge beef with these jackals. Also the aids aren't of much use in a crowd of people all talking at once.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 01, 2009 11:14AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl, I agree with you about the fact that the movies, in trying to be realistic, put in too many background sounds and drown out the dialogue.

I say...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Wait until the Baby Boomers get a little older. They will complain in droves about all of the inconveniences the elderly now have to put up with, including small print, as well as the audio annoyances. Just you wait... just you wait!" :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL ! Isn't there a song to that effect?

PS - The song is from "My Fair Lady"...
o/~ "Just you wait, Henry Higgins... Just you wait!" o/~

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I love to watch movies at the theater but I hardly ever go. We bought a flat-screen TV last year & movie watching at home has become soooo much better!!! & I don't have to deal with the annoying chatters, txters, popcorn smackers, wrapper crunchers......lol

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 01, 2009 11:12AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Yes! A flat screen TV is what I want for our 49th Anniversary this month.
Is that too much to ask? :)

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) No Joy-not too much!!! My mom & step-dad just bought one a few weeks ago.....very interesting conversations with them & how to use it....

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky wrote: "No Joy-not too much!!!

Becky, I'll tell Eddie you said so. LOL

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6158 comments 49 years! Congrats!!! We're coming up on 27 years in May. You make me feel like a baby...

I prefer watching at home. Theaters are over priced & there's always some idiot making noise or moving in front of you. I can't pause the movie, smoke or grab a cup of coffee when I want it. It's worth waiting for the DVD. Besides, if the DVD comes out really fast, you know the movie was a stinker.

message 11: by Werner (new)

Werner My wife and I will go to a movie in a theater once in a great while, if it's one we really want to see and we feel like doing something different from our usual routine; but on the whole, I prefer watching movies at home. It's much cheaper, more comfortable, and a more intimate experience of the film; and you have far more choice about what to watch. (I often say that wide- screen technology empowers the studio and theater- chain owners; but VHS and DVD empower the consumer!)

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim, thanks for the congrats. Eddie said "no" to getting a flat screen TV. I'm disappointed. I'll have to nag him. (g) He says flat screen TVs are too expensive.

I too like being able pause a movie. So many times I need a break from watching because I'm trying to do so many things at once. It's like reading a book a little bit at a time.

message 13: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Werner. Yes, there is something empowering about having good movies available for watching at home. I'm just realizing that.

I wonder how the theaters will stay in business as the Netflix-type services become more and more popular.

message 14: by Jackie (last edited Aug 28, 2009 08:07PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I prefer to watch at home, it's so convenient. I am a smoker and I can only do that at home, as well as pause the movie for whatever reason. But there are some movies that must be seen on the big screen. For me, it's big action as in 300, Transformers, X Men, or for stunning scenery, like LOTR. These are the movies that I will wind up buying the DVD but just have to see it on the big screen first.

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "I prefer to watch at home, it's so convenient. I am a smoker and I can only do that at home, as well as pause the movie for whatever reason. But there are some movies that must be seen on the big ..."

Jackie, I too prefer to watch at home, but agree that the big screen is best for "stunning scenery", as you said.

I'm not a big fan of action movies.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6158 comments Ditto what Jackie said. Besides, movies houses are expensive & there is always someone making noise.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Oh, don't even get me start on rude obnoxious behavior in a theater!
Jim, my solution to that is to go to the very first showing of the day, usually around noon, but sometimes as early as 9 AM. For some unknown reason, hardly anyone ever goes to the first showing, which is exactly why I like it. If there's 25 people in the entire theater, it'd be a lot. We're all spread out so no one interfers with another group's viewing. And the best part is that it's always cheaper to go to a matinee.
Last night Eric and his friends went to see the new Halloween movie and they were telling me how they were cracking jokes and other people were laughing.
It may have been funny to them, but that's the exact reason I don't like to go at night: witty teenagers. No, I don't pay $9 or $10 to hear witty teenage reparte. They're lucky I wasn't in that theater with them.

message 18: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "Oh, don't even get me start on rude obnoxious behavior in a theater!
Jim, my solution to that is to go to the very first showing of the day, usually around noon, but sometimes as early as 9 AM. F..."

Jackie, going to the movies early like that (to avoid noisy viewers) sounds like a good idea until I think about having to get myself up and out of the house so early. I'm not usually an early bird unless VERY strongly motivated.

Like you, I get very annoyed by noisy people in a theater. Who needs that aggravation!

On the other hand, if there's a good audience which reacts appropriately, to humor for example, there's nothing like being part of a group enjoying the same thing. There's a certain group spirit which is exciting and stimulating. I often long for someone to share my pleasure with while I'm watching a good movie. My sister and I are perfect together. If we're watching at home, we make short comments to one another and share our thoughts about what we're watching. That's the best situation for me.

message 19: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Jackie, I too prefer to watch at home, but agree that the big screen is best for "stunning scenery", as you said. ..."

BTW, I've started a new topic called: "Movies with beautiful scenery and panoramic shots?" It's a spinoff from this topic and can be viewed at: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Yes, what you described is acceptable behavior in a theater, but not what Eric was doing. When I go to the movies with Eric and he brings a friend, I won't sit with them, LOL. At home, I don't care becuse I have a pause button, LOL

I'll go see the new topic now....

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6158 comments The pause button is VERY important, especially as I get older; bathroom breaks! Being able to get my own munchies, take a break to wander around & stopping to chat about a scene or replay something I missed are great, too.

While writing this message, I heard thundering hooves. It's 53 degrees out, the grass is rich & the horses got to playing as the dawn is breaking. It's great to be able to stop, step out on the porch & watch a real show.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I really like the huge screen at the movie theatre and the darkness--the atmosphere is great and is nearly impossible to recreate at home. But the noisy and rude patrons get to me often.

I love the pause button, the rewind button and subtitles, which are options for at home. Plus I can eat whatever snacks I want without worrying about being thrown out. Truth be told, my mom's popcorn is far better than the movie theatre's.

message 23: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "The pause button is VERY important, especially as I get older; bathroom breaks! Being able to get my own munchies, take a break to wander around & stopping to chat about a scene or replay somethin..."

Jim, I was just saying to Eddie that watching a DVD at home gives us CONTROL! Being in control is a good feeling.

Enjoy your horses and wonderful location, Jim. When the weather is good, I enjoy stepping out onto the deck and sitting in the sun watching the leaves fluttering on the trees. Soon the leaves will be gone. We'd better enjoy them while they're here.

message 24: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Lori wrote: "I really like the huge screen at the movie theatre and the darkness--the atmosphere is great and is nearly impossible to recreate at home. But the noisy and rude patrons get to me often."

Lori, it's true that we can't recreate the special atmosphere in a theater, but the chairs and sofa at home are much more comfy. And the free snacks from the kitchen aren't bad either. :)