Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive (general & ongoing) > February - What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 188 (188 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I have four books that I need to start for the BOM groups I've signed up for, and they are all sitting at my bedside complete with sticky notes where to stop for the weekly chapter assignments.

I think I will start with Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow right now.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) stay the night by viehl

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Today I'm starting Mona Lisa Blossoming and the ebook Dark Elves V Discovery...as soon as I finish Tiger, Tiger in Sexy Beast. Then back on the shelf it goes until I get through all my February books.

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (shigyrl30) I am about to start reading My Soul To Keep by Tananarive Due.

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess I just finished the first three books in Kerrelyn SParks series. I'm waiting for the next book.. The Undead Next Door.

I'm also reading Witchling for my own group's BOM.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading the Host by Stephenie Myers...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I am reading Pleasure Unbound. This is the one I was most excited about getting to read. Then 1-31-09 I wake up with a cold!I went to get Airbourne (cold tablets) and that stuff knocks out the common cold in about 24 hours. Thing that sux is I missed that 12:01 am window, lol. That is OK. I made for it tonight and read almost 100 pages. Gonna give myself eye strain I just know it.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I read 100 pages too Kenjii. I'm never home on the weekends during the day so I didn't get to start reading until last night. I set a goal of 100 pages and read until I couldn't keep my eyes open. Read the first 3 chapters of my ebook while I ate dinner.

It's rainy and cold here today and I so wish I could blow off work and just curl up in my chair for hours of reading. I may just do that.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments I'm reading a chapter a night from Jermey Clarkson's book "I Know You Got Soul". I finished "The Bride's Baby" by Liz Fielding today. Trying to decide which book to start next. I have 8 books set aside for our Feb reading challenge with one more on reserve at the library, yet I have another P.G. Wodehouse "Jeeves" story from library I need to read before it's due back. Not sure what I'll choose today to start.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments With one chapter flowing so deliciously to the next it was hard to set aside PLEASURE UNBOUND. But I am now starting WORKING FOR THE DEVIL. Interesting world Lilith Saintcrow has developed for our heroine.

Lori: I have forced myself beyond the "keep eyes open, must read more" point and regretted. I get tension headaches and sometimes don't even think about until it's too late. Can I help it if the book is that damn good?

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) This morning I woke up with a very minor sore throat, and thought, "Maybe I should stay home and read!!!"
But it is really minor, so I made myself get up and go to work today... bummer.

I am currently reading The Devil's Due by Jenna Black, which is not on any of my reading challenges and couldn't count for Feb. anyway since I started it on Saturday, but I couldn't help myself. I love that series!
I read one book for Feb. PNR challenge yesterday (Victorious Star by Morgan Hawke), and plan to finish the Devil's Due tonight. We'll see if I start on a new one tonight or not; I only have 50 pages or so left of TDD. I'm guessing the next book I'll read will be either Pleasure Unbound or Moon Called.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Nichole, what did you think about Victorious Star?

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I really liked it. I read it all in the space of about 5 or 6 hours...
It was definitely a steeeeamy read. :) Probably one I'll read again. Glad I bought it.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Nichole: I don't know anything about Mood Called. I have not read it or read the reviews but I have started PLEASURE UNBOUND and love it! So I suggest starting that. Let me know if you do and if you like it. Staying on the weekly chart will be hard with that one.

I am CR: Pleasure Bound
Working for the Devil
Halfway to the Grave

As far as interesting characters, writing style, and page turning appeal PB and HTTG are tied. Though Working for the Devil speaks with a voice not entirely PNR so far.

message 15: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments I am currently reading (takes a deep breath):

Dark Lover
Pleasure Unbound
Dreamwalker
Witchling
Halfway to the Grave

Oy, I wanted to squeeze Moon Called in there but I am not sure just yet. So far those are what I have started lol.

message 16: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Finished my weekly chapter requirement for Working with the Devil. Now started reading Witchling by Yasmine Galehorn.

message 17: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Oh I missed one! Thank you Yz for reminding me! lol

Also reading Working with the Devil! lol

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie My books I have started are more romantic suspense, but I just started Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series
#1 The Unsung Hero-pretty good so far.

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Stephanie wrote: "My books I have started are more romantic suspense, but I just started Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series
"

I just finished Unsung Hero for the January challenge. I've read a few of the Troubleshooters books, and I like Brockmann's style. I enjoyed Unsung Hero very much.

message 20: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Finished my weekly chapter requirement for Witchling. Not overly impresesd with the book, but will continue to read.

Also done with the chapter requirements for Halfway to the Grave, and love it. I think Bones is just yummy. Looking forward to continue reading.

Starting Jacquelyn Frank's Noah.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie It is taking me some time to get used to the way SB jumps from the WWII story to present. The more of the book I read, the better the story changing becomes.

message 22: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 03, 2009 01:14PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Brockmann likes multiple POVs. It's like she is weaving a multi-colored fabric. She drops one thread, picks up another one, drop it, and go to another one.

I like how she handles male POVs. She writes very well when it comes to the male perspective.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am a big fan of erotic romance. So the pace of this book is defiantly slower, but very sensual in the way that Tom and Kelly are rediscovering each other. I love the military aspect of the book also. I mean who doesn't find a man in uniform sexy. I also like that the male character is sometimes not sure of himself…not all alpha all the time.

message 24: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I think she is better at character definition and plotlines than sex scenes. I like how she write about guys that are "normally" flawed...just as you said, Tom, although pretty alpha in his own way..I mean, you can't be a Seal Team commander for nothing..but she portrays their weakness as so human.

Have fun with the book. I would like to discuss more about it with you when you are done..LOL..don't want to give "spoilers"

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Stephanie wrote: "I mean who doesn't find a man in uniform sexy."

Okay, I'll admit. I'm the one.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nichole wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I mean who doesn't find a man in uniform sexy."

"

What???? Why not? Do spill!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "My books I have started are more romantic suspense, but I just started Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series
"

I just finished U..."

I have that on my TBR pile. I choose her I think b/c I had read a novella or something and really liked it. Wanted to read a full length =)

message 28: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Kenjii wrote: "Yz wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "My books I have started are more romantic suspense, but I just started Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series
"

I just fin..."

Kenjii,

I like Suz Brockmann's writing style very much. JR Ward of the BDB fame is a big fan of hers, and they both can write great male POVs. When you find the time, I think you should read her Troubleshooters series.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Stephanie wrote: "Nichole wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I mean who doesn't find a man in uniform sexy."

"

What???? Why not? Do spill!"

I don't know, it's just never done anything for me. I've always liked scruffier guys as opposed to clean cut, so that's probably part of it. If you ask me the "cowboy or cop" question, I will say cowboy every time.
In fact, there was a guy in the car behind me while I was driving to work today who was driving this beat up junker of a car, and it was piled high with crap in the backseat, and he had about a 3 day old scruffy beard and I was like, "Mmmm.... he's cute."

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I am reading my BOM selections. I have completed 2 books required weekly chapters. I am most excited with Halfway to the Grave and Pleasure Unbound. The characters and setting create great imagery. I have never read either author, but I love them!

I started Witchling today and first person is not bothersome (Halfway to the Grave is 1st person). But within the first 10 pages I have to have some kind of hook. The character, the world,writing style something! But so far the author gives a little here and there describing the sisters and Otherworld and so forth. I don't mind long and drawn out when it's the first few chapters of a series I have never read, if it helps establish the author's vision. Perhaps it will improve.

message 31: by new_user (last edited Feb 03, 2009 03:43PM) (new)

new_user I think Witchling is going to the bottom of my TBR as of now, LOL.

Re: men in uniform, I have to admit, a guy who can handle himself is attractive, but even better if he's not manicured and buttoned up, LOL. So I like both. :D Although I can't really see myself enjoy a hero who's an All-American or "straight shooter," etc.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments What am I not reading right now? I keep picking up different ones to fit my mood...

In progress:
Dark Lover-JR Ward;
Underground-Kat Richardson;
Full Moon Rising-Keri Arthur;
Seduced by Moonlight (audio)-Laurell K. Hamilton;
Immortal in Death-JD Robb

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Yz wrote: "I think she is better at character definition and plotlines than sex scenes. I like how she write about guys that are "normally" flawed...just as you said, Tom, although pretty alpha in his own way..."

Okay, I finished the book last night at about 10:30!

I loved this book after about page 150. I was a little slow at first. That may be b/c I have been reading a lot of Lora Leigh, girl doesn't waste any time, if ya know what I mean!
Very few books make me cry, but this one did. I love a book that stays with you for a while after you finish. Unsung Hero has managed to do just that! I cannot wait to get into the rest of the series.

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nichole wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Nichole wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I mean who doesn't find a man in uniform sexy."

"

What???? Why not? Do spill!"

I don't know, it's jus..."

Oh I like them scruffy too, in fact I am checking out the roofers on our building right now! I think it may be time for a coffee break!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I started DARK LOVER by J R Ward last night and will be reading that today and WORKING FOR THE DEVIL by Lilith Staintcrow. Still getting a feel for the characters, but liking them.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Started A Rush of Wings last night and so far I'm loving it. I'm not even that far in but already I'm fascinated by the characters. I noticed this one on a lot of peoples list for this month. Has anyone else started it yet?

message 37: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I have it on my list but haven't started it yet. Right now, I'm halfway done with Frank's Noah, and so far, I can't seem to put it down. However, I have to take a break or else I'm going to have a major eyestrain headache..LOL..

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: Why must that happen! I hate eyestrain. I wonder if their is a way to exercise your eye muscles. LOL. I want to be able to read all day with no regrets later.

Once I got past the first 50 pages (again, lol) I start really getting into DARK LOVER. The imagery is what gets me always. J R Ward is good with that. Even the light is laced with darkness. My goodness!

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1243 comments Just got Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs from Amazon today. (This is the fourth book in her Mercy Thompson series) I LOVE this series and have been waiting for this one. I'm going to start the moment I get my three kids in bed for the night!

message 40: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2009 04:11PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Kenjii: Ward's BDB books are great. They are the only books I actually reread over and over. If you are new to its world, you are in for a major treat. I think the fans call it "crack" in print or something..very addictive.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments I got a book order from Amazon.com's marketplace in the mail yesterday. It was just $3.95 plus shipping for my Jeeves Omnibus of 2 novels and 10 short stories by P.G. Wodehouse. My local library only has 1 short story and 4 novels out of the 25 short stories and 12 Jeeves novels that P.G. Wodehouse wrote so I treated myself to the cheapest omnibus I could find (they made 5 omnibus's of Jeeves stories) so I could read some more. Right now I'm in the middle of "Joy in the Morning", also known as Jeeves in the Morning.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: Yes. I have heard the term "crack author" used before. Took a moment for it to sink in lol. I have only re-read a handful of authors. I want to re-read the DH series as a group. But we'll see about the BDB. So far...very, very good =)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: Who is your fave brother?

message 44: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Lori wrote: "Started A Rush of Wings last night and so far I'm loving i..."

Our library system has just started ordering this author's books so I'm cooling my heels and waiting. Rather impatiently!

message 45: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I have all of the BDB books so far and have had them since they came out (and have forced my sisters/friends and my mama to read them and they're now all addicts). I guiltily admit to reading and re-reading them, although my alltime fave brother is Vishous. Although I'm hoping book 7 is just as delicious! But who can ever get past that first description of Wrath...?

message 46: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Kenjii: Zsadist will always have my heart, but Vishous is a close second favorite.

Tosca: I've pimped the BDB to almost all of my friends, unfortunately, most of them are not readers. I'm with you on the rereading the books over and over.

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) LOVE the BDB books. My personal crack addiction is still the Anita Blake books. I can't wait for Skin Trade to come out.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments Lori,

Are you going to read/have you read the new release Nightseer by LKH? It is supposed to be one of Laurell's early stories, and very different from her later work. I'm curious...

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Sarah, I seem to recall hearing about that book but I'm not sure I'll read it. I'm one of those people that actually likes her later books better than her earlier ones. I love all the sex so I guess that's why LOL.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments I keep wondering how different it is.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.