You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > October 2012 - Theme Nominations

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments October will be here in no time, so we need to start getting ready for our Group Read.

Please nominate themes for our October group read - BE CREATIVE!!

I will close nominations on Sep 7 so that we can vote on the themes.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments I'll nominate the obvious...

Things that go bump in the night.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I was also going to be obvious - ghost stories would seem appropriate to the season.

But, being a bit more inventive (and taking Mexican day of the dead type slant on Halloween) how about books with death as a character or narrator.

I can think of at least 2 that I've read that would fit that, Mort and Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett have death as a main character while The Book Thief has death as a narrator.

But if you want something less morbid, I quite understand >:-)

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments An option would be picking a couple of books written by authors born in September. Here is list.

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) Judy wrote: "An option would be picking a couple of books written by authors born in September. Here is list."

Do you mean October?

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments Helen wrote: "I was also going to be obvious - ghost stories would seem appropriate to the season.

But, being a bit more inventive (and taking Mexican day of the dead type slant on Halloween) how about books w..."

Not morbid at all - case in point is The Book Thief.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments Judy wrote: "An option would be picking a couple of books written by authors born in September. Here is list."

Good suggestion, Judy!

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Shirley wrote: "Judy wrote: "An option would be picking a couple of books written by authors born in September. Here is list."

Do you mean October?"

Oh, you are right, Kat. Let me see if I can find a list for that. Can you tell I'm not with it today?? LOL! 3 hours sleep doesn't do much for me.

message 9: by Judy (last edited Sep 01, 2012 09:36AM) (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Okay, here are some October authors I will try to scrape up some more.

Okay, here is a a second list.

I like Helen's idea, too.

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments That's Shirley, I'm Kat. I think you need some more caffeine, Judy ;)

Kind of along the same lines, but what about 'Facing Fear' - books about things that people could be phobic of, like heights (books about mountain climbing), or ghosts, flying etc.

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Oh, sheesh. I'm outta here. LOL!

message 12: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 937 comments How about books with mythical creatures?

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "How about books with mythical creatures?"

Or paranormal - although I do like the mythical creatures idea too!

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments Kat wrote: "That's Shirley, I'm Kat. I think you need some more caffeine, Judy ;)

Kind of along the same lines, but what about 'Facing Fear' - books about things that people could be phobic of, like heights ..."

I'm sure the people out in the foyer are wondering what all the raucus laughter is coming from my apartment. LOL!

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin | 222 comments This thread cracks me up too. Hopefully Judy will get some rest tonight. :)

I like these suggestions! I'm was born in October!! I love that month! hehe!

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments Robin wrote: "This thread cracks me up too. Hopefully Judy will get some rest tonight. :)

I like these suggestions! I'm was born in October!! I love that month! hehe!"

Me too. My dad always teased me and told me the witches brought me instead of the stork. lol
I love all of these marvelous ideas! October is such a fabulous month!
Always full of surprises!

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Book Thief (other topics)
Reaper Man (other topics)
Mort (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Terry Pratchett (other topics)