CrazyBookWormies discussion

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
This topic is about Fifty Shades of Grey
Member's Corner > Is it worth reading?

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyca (lycacheesestick) Okay I just really have to know. I've been seeing this book everywhere --- internet, bookstores.. I read its plot, something about sadomasochism? Or am I wrong? I just have to ask, has anyone of you read this and is it worth it?

message 2: by Mig, Books are my drugs. (new)

Mig (minzo) | 1267 comments Mod
My mom said it's like a very ordinary love story but for adults... just too simple she said.

message 3: by Erin 06 (new)

Erin  06 (Erin06) I never read that book
But I've heard many times about it
So I think maybe it is a good book (:

message 4: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara (SaraAlt) | 3 comments I think this is a book you either love or hate; I have read it and I would not recommend it to any one. Anywhere. Ever. I wanted to claw my eyes out at certain parts. When I wasn't laughing because it was so ridiculous, of course. I really thought it was that awful...! But a cousin of mine loves it, so I really think it is either way :P

Lyca (lycacheesestick) Paperworm wrote: "My mom said it's like a very ordinary love story but for adults... just too simple she said."

Thanks for the tip :)

Lyca (lycacheesestick) Catherine wrote: "I never read that book
But I've heard many times about it
So I think maybe it is a good book (:"

I've seen many comment about it, a half says it's good and the other half says it wasn't. It's confusing, thanks though :)

Lyca (lycacheesestick) Sara wrote: "I think this is a book you either love or hate; I have read it and I would not recommend it to any one. Anywhere. Ever. I wanted to claw my eyes out at certain parts. When I wasn't laughing because..."

I guess it just really depends on whoever reads it. Thank you:)

message 8: by Angela, 1. 2. 3. (new) - added it

Angela (anj-neophyte) | 1683 comments Mod
I dropped the book in just few chapters. It really depends on you if you'll like a mature content book.

Hazel | 1 comments I did read the book all three of them and as much as I enjoyed it, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It is really not for the faint of heart. Not everybody's cup of tea. I'm not into BDSM or SM but I found myself eager to finish the book. I am also not a fan of Ms. E.L. James' way of writing, but I applaud her coming up with this kind of story.
If you decide to read the book, try to keep an open mind and try not to over analyze what you are reading. Sometimes how you enjoy what you are reading lies on how you paint the picture.

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic (beatricemasalunga) I'm going to read it due to my curiosity.
We'll see.

message 11: by Lyca (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyca (lycacheesestick) Nicole wrote: "I dropped the book in just few chapters. It really depends on you if you'll like a mature content book."

I agree. Thank you!

message 12: by Lyca (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyca (lycacheesestick) Hazel wrote: "I did read the book all three of them and as much as I enjoyed it, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It is really not for the faint of heart. Not everybody's cup of tea. I'm not into BDSM or SM ..."

Yeah, I'll take it to consideration. I really am thinking of reading it. We'll see ;)

message 13: by Mig, Books are my drugs. (new)

Mig (minzo) | 1267 comments Mod
I hope teens stays on reading Contemporary and not Erotica though... ugh..

message 14: by Jan Bethel (new)

Jan Bethel (jan_bitz) | 60 comments I don't think I will read this. I'm really not into erotica.. =/

message 15: by Angela, 1. 2. 3. (new) - added it

Yeah, It reallu depends on a person if he/she will read it but I agree to you Miguel that may teens nowadays should read books with out mature content but it can't be helped. There is like many books with erotica content that is part of bestseller lists and many od them have good stories taht just have a part like that. :)

Lol.

Jackie (JaxArias) | 107 comments If you don't find sex and torture disturbing, then it's worth your time. But if you want to entertain your curiosity, go right ahead.

For me, the story's kinda boring in between, and it's quite repetitive in descriptions. Although it does leave lots of mystery that'll make you read the next one for answers... At the same time, praying for less eroticism, and wanting to bathe in holy water after. [that's what I felt, not exaggerating]
Yes the love story's not that ordinary, but in my opinion, it's a love story with sex as its foundation and I didn't appreciate it that much.

Shealea (shutupshealea) | 77 comments I'm on the second book right now.

In my opinion, I wouldn't consider the book as an erotica, because quite honestly, the sex material wasn't something to fawn over. The scenes weren't steamy at all, just plain gore and punishment. Actually, I've read better fan fiction.

That aside, I found the characters underdeveloped, the plot line excruciatingly dull and the descriptions repetitive. The love story between Christian and Anastasia felt rushed and, in some parts of the book, forced. The writing style didn't sit with me well either.

One thing I commend about this book is the dialogue between the characters. I admit that I found the lines pretty amusing. Quite frankly, 50 Shades is one of the books that I'd read just for the sake of making fun of it. However, if you're into characters with masochistic, sadistic and/or bipolar tendencies, go ahead.

jhesmack | 171 comments Shealea Iral wrote: "I'm on the second book right now.

In my opinion, I wouldn't consider the book as an erotica, because quite honestly, the sex material wasn't something to fawn over. The scenes weren't steamy at a..."

I agree, the conversation between Christian and Anastasia never fail to make me laugh, i mean big time. They're so "in" to each other that its overwhelming.

Shealea (shutupshealea) | 77 comments jhesmack wrote: "I agree, the conversation between Christian and Anastasia never fail to make me laugh, i mean big time. They're so "in" to each other that its overwhelming. "

I know what you mean, haha. Those two are just ridiculous!

jhesmack | 171 comments Shealea Iral wrote: "jhesmack wrote: "I agree, the conversation between Christian and Anastasia never fail to make me laugh, i mean big time. They're so "in" to each other that its overwhelming. "

I know what you mean..."

I like it when they tease each other.. the battle of wits between those two, ofcourse, i'm always rooting for anastasia ;)

message 21: by Jhanz (new) - rated it 1 star

Jhanz (jhanzeyjane) | 20 comments Not really my cup of tea. I'm on the third book (too curious, I decided to read up) and it's pretty boring. Most of the times, I skip through the sex parts (the descriptions are very repetitive and I honestly don't think that it's worth the read anyway) and scan through it.

Honestly speaking, the book was written horribly. The story has a potential to become a better book, with all the interesting ideas such as BDSM (I'm not into these things, but I guess it would be something new to the readers, however it was badly shown in the book) and successful people with a very troubled life (irony is pretty effective to make things a little more interesting, but again, it was horribly written). Also, the trilogy could be summed up into one book, since the climax was actually on the third, and there was not much going on with the first two books. It's also possible to omit some sex scenes, since it's too repetitive anyway. The dialogue was okay, it just needed to be more realistic, since some of Mr. Grey's words are too flowery for a real conversation. As for the characters, they are characterized poorly, meaning to say that they haven't grown too much during those three books (except, of course, Mr. Grey -- the only evolving character from the book).

There wasn't much conflict presented, making it booooooooring and dragging. The descriptions about sex was kinda vivid, but for the other elements, I don't think that James' imagery were effective.

If you're into pocketbooks or popular writing, you might want to consider the book though, since it caters a little erotica (yes, just a little, since the sex parts were not erotic at all) and a lot of cheesy things. :)

Meh. Hihi.

Shealea (shutupshealea) | 77 comments Jhanz wrote: "Not really my cup of tea. I'm on the third book (too curious, I decided to read up) and it's pretty boring. Most of the times, I skip through the sex parts (the descriptions are very repetitive and..."

No words can describe how much I agree with you. Well-said.

jhesmack | 171 comments Shealea Iral wrote: "Jhanz wrote: "Not really my cup of tea. I'm on the third book (too curious, I decided to read up) and it's pretty boring. Most of the times, I skip through the sex parts (the descriptions are very ..."

I think Jhanz "aim to please" :p

message 24: by Angela, 1. 2. 3. (new) - added it

Jhanz wrote: "Not really my cup of tea. I'm on the third book (too curious, I decided to read up) and it's pretty boring. Most of the times, I skip through the sex parts (the descriptions are very repetitive and..."

Great Explanation! lol. :) You just said it all dear ♥

message 25: by Jerc (new)

Jerc (klauswannabe) | 20 comments i will never read that book...
my friends told me that it is a very typical love story :(