Mic Breaks Only discussion

Posts Gone By > Watcha Reading in September

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments What are you reading this month? Tech manuals about programming games for the Ipad? How to knit ponchos? Non-Fiction?!?

Share your journeys here, and be sure to stop in regularly as the month progresses!

message 2: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments I'm reading Great Expectations by Dickens, one of many books I certainly should have read in my younger years.

I'm actually glad I didn't read this when I was in high school. The perspective of the older narrator looking back on his follies has been a delight that I would have missed before.

I have this modern snobbish attitude that authors from an earlier time aren't as adept at writing as today's fare. For some reason I make the same comparison you would to a scientist, doctor, or any other profession that has advanced with time. What a crock o' shit! Dickens wordplay and storytelling stand toe to toe with any modern pen, and he would generally be the only one standing after one round of blows.

message 3: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (new)

Michelle Finazzo | 225 comments I'm still working on A Dance With Dragons which I have recently gotten back into and am loving. Apparently I left off just before some of the plot lines really picked up. I'm about 60 percent through. I love Arya and Tyrion.

message 4: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments I finished Great Expectations, review here. Loved it.

I'm going to really sink my teeth into Dark Places now, hopefully I can keep ahead of the curve and get some discussions going!

message 5: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments Last night I got to the discussion section end in Dark Places but it was much too late to post anything.

Instead, I started A Naked Singularity which seems like it's going to be rad. I know that I just used the word rad. Anyway, the beginning is like David Foster Wallace writing an episode of Night Court.

message 6: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments Going to see if I can find Dark Places tonight after work, Can't wait to start reading it. :)

message 7: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments I finished A Naked Singularity, review HERE. Wow.

message 8: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments Started Gone Girl today :) Cant't wait to see what is up for October.

message 9: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments I started Pinball, 1973, its the second part in the four book series The Rat, and it's super short so I'll probably zoom through most of it today.

message 10: by Suzie (new)

Suzie | 28 comments I am reading the owners manual on how to install my new water softener, and trying to get all the construction jobs finished before vacation ends! But last night I decided to start over on the Mary Russell series by one of my favorite authors Laurie R. King! Since she just released the latest in the series and it has been so long since I've read them. I can highly recommend anything by her, but especially one of my all time favorite books, Folly. If you're looking for a great read, start there!

message 11: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments I finished Pinball a few days ago... slogging through the second half of A Dance With Dragons now. It's one of only two books that I set aside for some time this year. Martin's style is bothering me a bit, but his story is superb.