Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Add to Goodreads button for Amazon

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vmburkhardt) | 28 comments Is the Add to Goodreads button still functional? Has it changed in some way? It would not work for me just now when I tried to add a book that way.

Thanks!

message 2: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments I'm not sure what button you're talking about, but GR and Amazon parted ways a bunch of months ago, so I don't think there's anything like that...? I could be mistaken though.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vmburkhardt) | 28 comments There was a button you could add to your bookmarks bar that allowed you to directly add a book to your Goodreads account from the Amazon website. I'm not sure what you mean by "parted ways" because I must have missed that somewhere along the way. I will just assume that option is no longer available.

Thanks.

message 4: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments Well don't take my word for fact, as I've never even seen the button to begin with, lol. But yes, not quite a year ago? something like that, GR made the decision that being force to comply with Amazon's demands was no longer a viable option and as such information from them was removed and they're no longer an acceptable source. So the button may have gone at that time.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments Victoria wrote: "There was a button you could add to your bookmarks bar that allowed you to directly add a book to your Goodreads account from the Amazon website..."

That sounds like it would have been a third-party tool, like a Greasemonkey script or something. Google suggests Kynetx? You'll have to track down the webpage for whoever made the button.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna | 966 comments It isn't third party. If you go to Account > Widgets, there's an "Amazon Bookmarklet" link in the sidebar.

I just tested it and it opened the Goodreads page of the books I tried just fine. Maybe try deleting the bookmark and re-adding it just in case it's changed somehow? Or maybe it only works okay on certain books.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vmburkhardt) | 28 comments Donna, I already deleted the bookmark but I will try adding it again and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 966 comments Good luck. I only tried it on a couple of books, so I may have picked ones that happened to still work.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vmburkhardt) | 28 comments I should clarify that I should have used the word "widget" instead of button! Donna, I have installed the widget again and will see if it works the next time I want to use it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

message 10: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Sep 01, 2012 10:31AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Button/widget/bookmark should still function provided the amazon book page has an isbn or asin for the book.

The Amazon being dropped as data source by goodreads from what I understand was Amazon insisting that they and only they would show as source to purchase books. The link to Amazon had to be featured right on book's main page and no other bookseller or publisher links allowed on the page. Goodreads members would have to click to go to another page to load any other sources or compare pricing sort of information and that link had to be featured less prominently than Amazon and include a prominant link to Amazon. Otherwise, goodreads was not allowed to use data.

Goodreads opted to not use data. They get from publishers, members, WorldCat, Ingram and all kinds of other data feeds so not sure how exactly Amazon benefited from taking that stance or how goodreads was hurt (okay, the self-published images at amazon now mean authors, agents and publishers, now need to make sure their book information gets to goodreads or goodreads data sources because goodreads can no longer accept from Amazon--but that just seems like the authors and staff would have to be more active on goodreads so not sure what Amazon was thinking).

I guess Amazon wanted to prevent being shown alongside competitors; but, they've just slowed down new books added to amazon being added to goodreads (particularly ones that don't apply for isbn like some of the self-published works).

message 11: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 97 comments Re what Amazon was thinking when they pulled their information--I imagine they were underestimating GR and its members. They thought that GR was so dependent on them that they would cave. They didn't believe that GR and its members would be willing to work as hard as we all have done to replace the data.

message 12: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Not to mention all of the ex-customers they collected ;-)

That episode, plus their dodgy business practices, and especially their complete disregard for employee health and safety standards, led me to cancel all my amazon and affiliate connections.