Midnight Book Girl's Stephen King Fall Readalong discussion

2nd trip down this road

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Safritche (new)

Safritche | 2 comments Hi everyone, I stumbled on to this site today while on lunch at work. It intrigued me and I joined, having just recently gotten back to my lifelong love of reading. I am a big Stephen King fan and have been since he was first published, so I am a lot older than the young faces I see staring back at me. I started thinking about the proposal of reading these books, one per month, and for me it will be revisiting wonderful reading experiences. I remember reading 'Salem's Lot and the scene being described was, to me, so scary and disturbing that I stopped reading the book in my bedroom and went out into the hallway and closed all doors so there were no windows within my sight. Wonderful! Here I am, so many years later and I feel like buying a ticket for this train - mainly to see if I can 'go home again'. Do you know what I mean? I'd love to read Carrie with all of you and hear what you think. Have any of you read this book, or the other 2, before? I have most of Stephen King's books, but I have not purchased or read any of the Dark Tower series and I hope to get to them. I neglected to mention that the reason I have once again gotten back to one of my first loves, reading, is that my daughter lent me her Nook and I was able to make the font as large as I needed to so I could read without my glasses, which had become a disruption to my enjoyment. What a wonderful thing an e-book is! I am not sure if I will purchase the King books for my Nook or just go upstairs to my library and pull the original off the shelf. I have never been in a 'book club' where I could share thoughts with other members. I'm looking forward to the experience.

Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile) (liannelavoie) | 1 comments I was late to the whole Stephen King game. The only book of his I've read is The Shining, which I just read last year. I loved it! So, I'm looking forward to reading more of his stuff. Carrie is the other book of his that's on my to read pile, so I'll definitely be doing the readalong for that. I might pick up the other ones at the library, too, if I have time in October and November.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I read several of Stephen King's books as a teen and I've seen quite a few of the movies. I look forward to reading along with everyone.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I've also been a big Stephen King fan my whole life. Started way back when Carrie was brand new so I'm old too! I've read many of his books, but by no means all...Haven't read any of the Dark Tower series either. Just last week re-read The Shining which is still awesome! Looking forward to Oct. and Salem's Lot as I've got a huge book I'm reading with another group and I should be exhausted by then, lol.

message 5: by Safritche (new)

Safritche | 2 comments Sandra wrote: "I've also been a big Stephen King fan my whole life. Started way back when Carrie was brand new so I'm old too! I've read many of his books, but by no means all...Haven't read any of the Dark Tower..."

Old? Old? Who's old, Sandra? Us? Hahahaha. I decided to order Carrie and 'Salem's Lot for my Nook because I'm spoiled now. Just finished a wonderful book entitled The Passage by Justin Cronin. Highly recommended! The second part of the trilogy comes out in about a month. It's title is The Twelve. The first book was shy of 900 pages and I see the second one is in the 700's. I looked at my original copy of Carrie. Stephen is so young in the picture in the back. I'm very much looking forward to 'Salem's Lot as it did give me the shivers long ago. Let me know when you decide to get to the Dark Tower series. I think we should all read that together. It will be great to read something of King's that I haven't experienced yet. I really enjoy his short stories. Sometimes you just don't have time for a novel. Well, I better get to my reading. I'll check back in with you girls soon. Sharon F.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (MidnightBookGirl) | 2 comments Mod
Safritche wrote: "Just finished a wonderful book entitled The Passage by Justin Cronin. Highly recommended!"

I loved The Passage- although I made the mistake when it first came out to make it a book club selection. Not only was it too long for most of my book club members, but it was hard to get for those who didn't want to buy it in hardback. I got to meet Justin Cronin at BEA this past June, and he was just really nice. He said that he started The Passage as a story he would tell his child. Which has to make him the most awesome dad ever!

I'll be adding the discussion questions for Carre Part One: Blood Sports in a few minutes.

message 7: by Midnyte Reader (new)

Midnyte Reader (Midnyte) | 1 comments Carrie was a very quick read...trust me, I'm a slow reader. I hadn't read this one until this read a long and I really enjoyed it. It's raw, kind of simple in a way, but has a lot of layers.