Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > I did it ... I joined Netflix!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 08, 2009 09:21AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I did it! I joined Netflix today. I get 2 weeks free and then will have to start paying.

I chose the $13.99/mo. plan until my 2 free weeks are over. That means I will receive 2 DVDs at-a-time and can get an unlimited amount of DVDs per month.

When my 2 free weeks are up, I might switch to the $8.99/mo. plan which will allow me only 1 DVD at-a-time (with an unlimited am't per mo.).

There's a $4.99/mo. option, but that allows only 1 DVD at-a-time (with a limit of 2 DVDs per month).

There's also a $16.99/mo. option which allows 3 DVDs at a time (with an unlimited am't per mo.)

To see a chart with the different payment plans, go to: ====>
http://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks
Then scroll down to the FAQ's.
At the bottom of the left-hand column, click on: "How much do the plans cost?"
For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't put that chart in a more obvious place on the website. I had to telephone them to find it!

BTW, the webpage also has an 800 tel # for questions, 24 hours a day.
It's: 1-866-579-7112 (24 hours a day).

I also found out that they don't ship on Sat. or Sundays. So you have to work around that.

The movies I put in my queue are:
1. The Queen
2. Sideways
3. Good Night, and Good Luck
4. The Bucket List
5. The Times of Harvey Milk

I'll probably receive my first 2 DVDs on Tues. at the earliest because they won't be mailed to me until Monday.

I'm on my way to Movieland! LOL

How do the theaters stay in business when it's so easy to see movies this way?

PS-I think we'll have to get a larger TV screen. Who can live with this little 31" screen? LOL

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Have fun Joy!!!

Funny thing, I mailed a movie back one weekend(MLK) & I figured Netflix would not get the movie until Tuesday because of no mail on Monday but I got my email on Monday telling me that they have received my movie & sure enough I had a new movie in my mailbox on Tuesday-not sure how that worked out....

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky, I guess the Netflix people have it all figured out!

Yes, I hope to have fun watching movies I've been eager to see for a long time. I can't believe it took me so long to realize what a good system Netflix is. My sister has been telling me about it for months and months. I guess I didn't realize how inexpensive it is, in the long run, compared to paying to see movies on the big screen at movies in the mall.

Thanks for the good wishes.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 08, 2009 01:55PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments There is more discussion about Netflix at the following link/topic in this section.
See it here: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Joy(& others)-I mailed back a disc to Netflix on Saturday & I got my email this morning telling me that they have received it & that my next movie will be sent out, so today's holiday did not stop them from processing my movies!!

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 17, 2009 06:24AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky wrote: "Joy(& others)-I mailed back a disc to Netflix on Saturday & I got my email this morning telling me that they have received it & that my next movie will be sent out, so today's holiday did not stop them from processing my movies!!"

Netflix is terrific! I'm so glad I signed on. Netflix's response time is incredible!

I've decided not to feel pressured into seeing as many movies as I can for my $8.99 per month. I'll watch them with my time and return them when I'm done.

I find that it takes me a long time to finish watching one movie, because I take a lot of breaks and do a lot of "rewinding" to catch certain parts. Eddie wants to watch the movies as well. So we take our time returning them.

But it's nice to know that when we return one DVD, another will be sent to us ASAP!
Thanks, Becky.