South African Book Lovers discussion

Year Challenge Tasks > Themed Challenges 2012-2013: Nominations

Comments (showing 1-50 of 81) (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments description

Hi everyone! I almost forgot about this, but remembered at the last minute. Nominations for the 2012-2013 Themed Challenges are now open.

Everything is the same as last year, except that each challenge will have a mini-challenge version in which you only have to read 10 books. If you like, you can specify how the short version of your challenge will work, otherwise we'll just figure it out if the challenge gets selected.

Be as creative and crazy as you like, but do please read the following first:

Rules and Guidelines
1. Nominate up to 3 challenges
2. Each challenge will have 25 books, and books must be at least 150 pages long to count.
3. The challenges will last for one year, from 1 November 2012 to 31 October 2013
4. Please specify the structure of your challenge, eg. 25 tasks (like Mishmash, YA), just 25 books according to the theme (like About Time You Read That), or 5 sections with 5 books each. Whatever you want, as long as you have to read 25 books to complete it.
5. If you choose to have a challenge with 25 tasks, group members will be given a chance to make up tasks for that challenge in October (same process as for Mishmash and Diabolical)
6. Choice: There should be plenty of books that you can choose from to complete the challenge so don’t pick a theme with only a few books that count.
7. Availability: the books should be easy and cheap to obtain, so don’t, for example, pick a theme where everyone will have to buy the latest releases.
8. Everyone should be able to do the challenge if they choose to, so don’t nominate something like a challenge where you have to read books set in the city where you live.
9. Because there will be 5 challenges and we don’t have to do them all, you may nominate challenges for a specific genre or plot type, eg. Sci fi, Romance, serial killers.
10. Please read the posts above yours! That way we can avoid double nominations.
11. You may nominate themes from the past
12. You have two weeks in which to nominate your challenges.

After everyone has nominated their challenges, we'll have a two-week voting period to choose 5 challenges. We'll spend October making up 25 tasks for those challenges that need them.

I can't wait to see what everyone's going to come up with! Have fun!

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Mythology, Folklore and Fairytales

I want to re-do the Mythology and folklore challenge from 2010/2011, but with a bit more flexibility.

Read 25 books, each of which falls into one or more of the following categories:
- books based on mythology
- books based on folklore or a fairytale
- books where a mythological creature is central to the plot (this does not include people who simply have paranormal or superhuman powers, eg. telepaths)
- non-fiction about mythology/folklore/fairytales

Lu (Sugar & Snark) | 12279 comments Mod
Netgalley and Review Books

Read 25 books that you either got from Netgalley or were asked to review by the author/publisher.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Lu (The Muggle) wrote: "Netgalley and Review Books

Read 25 books that you either got from Netgalley or were asked to review by the author/publisher."

I don't think we should use that one - it's not something everyone could do :(

message 5: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Mod
I would like a Fantasy genre challenge, with tasks that group members would nominate.
25 books / 10 books for mini.

Lauren wrote: "Lu (The Muggle) wrote: "Netgalley and Review Books

Read 25 books that you either got from Netgalley or were asked to review by the author/publisher."

I don't think we should use that one - it's n..."

Yea I wondered. Will think of another one :)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Lu (The Muggle) wrote: "Yea I wondered. Will think of another one :)"

Thanks :) You can re-nominate Trying New Things. It covers most of the same books.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Me, Myself and I

Read 25 books that have something to do with yourself!
- published in the year you were born
- author or main charachter shares your name
- main character has the same pet as you
- is set in your hometown
- main character has the same profession as you
etc., etc. etc. the possibilities are endless.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Barbara wrote: "Me, Myself and I

- main character has the same pet as you
..."

Dude, I was totally thinking of the same challenge! I was going to call it "It's Personal".

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Great minds think alike!!!
If you want to change the name that is fine by me!

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Lol, no, I like that name too!

message 12: by Claudia (last edited Sep 04, 2012 09:52AM) (new)

Making Connections 25 / 10 books

Start with any book finished during the challenge period and make connections from there to your next reads (in any order). The more creative the connections, the better! You may not use the same connection twice, eg. book 1 and 2 - Has a red-head on the cover + book 23 and 24 - Has a red-head on the cover, cannot be used.

Example:
1.The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent
↳ Author's name and surname starts with the same letter ↴
2.The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
↳ Was made into a movie ↴
3.Winter's Bone
↳ Movie based on this book starred Jennifer Lawrence ↴
4.The Hunger Games
etc

This will work like the One Thing Leads to Another challenge, except we each get to make it up as we go along.

message 13: by Lu (Sugar & Snark) (last edited Sep 02, 2012 09:32AM) (new)

All around Paranormal/Supernatural/Mythology:

Read 1 book about each of the Paranormal/Supernatural/Mythology out there:

1. Vampires
2. Werewolves
3. Shifters
4. Faeries/Fae
5. Trolls
6. Zombies
7. Ghosts/Ghouls
8. Immortal
9. Jinn
10. Mermaids
11. Dragon
12. Angels
13. Demons
14. Witches/Wizards
15. Incubus/Succubus
16. Dwarves/Orcs
17. Elves
18. Gods/Goddesses
19. Half-Breeds
20. Psychic/Telekinesis
21. Kraken/Lake Monster/Loch Ness/Sea Monster/Sea Serpent
22. Valkyrie
23. Pegasus/Unicorn/Centaur
24. Grim Reaper
25. Mummy/Skeleton

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Claudia wrote: "Making Connections 25 / 10 books

Start with any book read since the new themed challenges started and make connections from there to your next book read. The more creative the connections, the bet..."

I like that! The concept of the challenge is a great one, but One Thing Leads to Another just gave me a headache whenever I thought of the insane amount of planning and cross-referencing I would have had to do to finish it!

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Lu (The Muggle) wrote: "All around Paranormal/Supernatural/Mythology:

Read 1 book about each of the Paranormal/Supernatural/Mythology out there:

1. Vampires
2. Werewolves
3. Shifters
4. Faeries/Fae
5. Trolls
6. Zombies
..."

Wow, that's an extensive list - nice work!

message 17: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (Carolien_S) | 1579 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Me, Myself and I

- main character has the ..."

Love this idea!

message 18: by Barbara (last edited Sep 05, 2012 09:32AM) (new)

Thanks!
Please vote for it if and when the voting starts. :)

When does voting start?

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1260 comments Mod
I'm thinking of something location based.

It could be based on nominations. And can cover both locations and settings.

Some examples.

Set in a specific country or state etc.
set in a specific location e.g castle, school, insane asylum.
Set in a specific time period- 1800's, middle ages, post apocalyptic future etc.

This way people can make the challenge fit in with books they want to read. Instead of being force to read a genre they are not necessarily interested in.

Maybe we can call it Location, Location, Location as I am watching that on T.V as I write this.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "When does voting start?"

15 September

Ah ok :)

Will think of some more challenges!

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Cool :)

By the way, do you have the voting form we used last year?

It was just a form on google docs, so yea I must have it somewhere :) Want me to share it with you?

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Yes please :)

Done

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Thanks!

message 28: by Carolien (new)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "I'm thinking of something location based.

It could be based on nominations. And can cover both locations and settings.

Some examples.

Set in a specific country or state etc.
set in a specific lo..."

I was thinking of a kind of "Around the World in 25 books" challenge so something location based can be a nice idea.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Carolien wrote: "I was thinking of a kind of "Around the World in 25 books" challenge so something location based can be a nice idea."

You can nominate that if you like, as Lauren's challenge is different because it's not based only on countries. So the instructions would be something like read 25 books set in 25 different countries, or however you want to work it.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Books about Books aka The Metafiction Challenge

Read 25 books about books, storytelling and reading. For example:
- a novel about a writer creating a story
- a novel about reading a book eg. The End of Mr. Y
- a novel about other books - The Club Dumas
- a novel in which in the author comments on his/her own story eg. Railsea
- a novel in which the characters know they are in a story

For more ideas, check out the wikipedia page on metafiction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metafiction, and use your google-fu.

Please tell me if this makes no sense!

I was thinking of a music related challenge. Each person could nominate a song and the challenge would be to find a book that somehow related to the title or a theme in the song.

Example.
Hit me baby one more time by Britney Spears
1)you could read a book about an abusive relationship (hit me baby)
2) you could read a book about someone getting a second change/ redemption (one more time)
3)you could look at the lyrics "I must confess my loneliness is killing me"
And read a book about a person confessing to a crime etc. (I must confess)
4) or you could read about a lonely person find love, friendship etc. (my lonelyness is killing me)

So you see all you need to do is show the lyric that ties in with the theme of the book you want to read and if you can find meaning in Britney Speared the you can find it in any song!

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Makes sense to me. What do you want to call it?

I didn't suggest one because I really couldn't think of anything good. Any ideas?

What about A bibliophiles playlist? Or we could substitute the playlist for mixtape but I might be the only one old enough to know what that is :)

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Lol, I used to make mixtapes :) But I prefer playlist, since we're way beyond both tapes and CDs.

I think you are right new school is better than old. I found an old mix tape when I was moving. I must have been a really morose teenager because one side was just the same depressing Smashing Pumpkins song over and over lol

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Hahahaha, the old days of not having a 'repeat' function.

message 38: by Barbara (new)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "What about A bibliophiles playlist? Or we could substitute the playlist for mixtape but I might be the only one old enough to know what that is :)"

He, I am 6 years older that you are, which must make me ancient, since I do still have a collection of mix tapes and records and do still play them sometimes. :)

message 39: by Claudia (new)

I'll stay away from nominating anything for the music challenge, or everyone will see how outdated my music tastes are and make fun of me. Hehe. :)

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments If anyone's interested, here are some of the Challenges from last year that didn't make it. You're welcome to re-nominate them, or make up a modified version.

The Title Challenge
Like the Cover challenge, but using tasks based on titles.

5. Movie Themed Challenge
When nominating tasks here people will nominate their favourite movies. Example: Indiana Jones and Taken. Then you can read a book that has a connection to it. As long as it makes sense. Example:
1. Indiana Jones - Read a book set in Indiana, Read a book where the main character's name has Jones in it e.g. Bridget Jones Diary.
2. Taken - Someone that gets kidnapped, father and daughter relationship, set in Paris.

8. Historical Genre Challenge
25 books from 5 of the following historical sub-genres:
Mystery, Horror, Romance/Regency, YA, Plantation, Thriller

May substitute one of the following alternative historical sub-genres for one of the above:
GLBT, Fantasy, Western, Paranormal, True Crime

10. Celebrity Jump the shark
1) Nominate your favourite Celeb (please they must be a pop culture celeb) e.g Mary Queen of Scots or Emily Bronte would not count!
2) Then you need to find a random fact about your celeb
3) Read a book relating to that fact
E.g. Sean Penn- Rescued people during hurricane Katrina- Read a book involving a rescue or a hurricane

Another E.g. Paris Hilton-Was raised Roman Catholic and still attends church- read a book involving religion set in a church about priest, nuns etc. Remember the facts should not be obvious!

11. 5 friends, 5 star favourites
Choose 5 friends with favourites lists then choose 5 books off each of their favourites list to read. Remember the books must have got a 5 star rating, which I suppose is almost a given since they are favourites :D

12. The Royal Challenge
Read 5 books from 5 different royal families. So you should read 25 books to finish this challenge.
Fiction or Non-Fiction

14. Series Challenge
Tasks will be nominated for this one relating to series or just general, example:
* Read a book that has a color in its name
* Read a book where the main character is gay
* Read a book that is the 5th book in a series
(All the books read for this challenge has to be part of a series to count, wheter it is the 1st book or 10th)

15. Around the world Challenge
You can read any 25 books you want, any genre you want as long as each author of each book is from a different country. So for task one you read something by an author from the US, for the second task you read something by an author from Brasil etc. You can choose the countries yourself.

16. Phobias
Everyone will get a chance to nominate things that scare them - spiders, snakes, heights, etc. For the challenge, you have to read books based on those fears. It doesn't have to be horror or even fiction. For example, for spiders you could read Charlotte's Web. For heights you could read a book about mountain climbing.

I would like to renominate the:

Movie Themed Challenge

When nominating tasks here people will nominate their favourite movies. Example: Indiana Jones and Taken. Then you can read a book that has a connection to it. As long as it makes sense. Example:
1. Indiana Jones - Read a book set in Indiana, Read a book where the main character's name has Jones in it e.g. Bridget Jones Diary.
2. Taken - Someone that gets kidnapped, father and daughter relationship, set in Paris.

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Nominations so far:

- Mythology, Folklore and Fairytales
- Fantasy Challenge
- Me, Myself and I
- Making Connections
- All around Paranormal/Supernatural/Mythology
- Location, Location, Location
- Books about Books aka The Metafiction Challenge
- A Bibliophile's Playlist
- Movie-Themed Challenge

Goodreads Recommends:

When you go to the top it says Recommendations. If you click on it, you will see 2 blocks on the right. Recommendations by Shelf and Recommendations by Genre.

Read 10 books that each of those blocks give you. So that is 20 books.

Then "Ask for Recommendations" your last 5 books.

message 44: by Carolien (last edited Sep 09, 2012 04:19AM) (new)

The History Challenge

Select 5 historical periods and read 5 books in each era. You can nominate your own 5 eras and can be as specific as you like. So if you choose for example The Ancient World, you can read 5 books from Babylonia, Ancient Egypt, The Greeks, etc. Altenative you can be specific and choose Ancient Egypt in which case your books must be Egyptian. Any time period counts as lonng as it is in the past and is an identifiable period - either by time (e.g eighteenth century Europe), place (e.g. impressionist Paris), regime (e.g. apartheid South Africa, Roman empire) or event (e.g. WW11). For a mini challenge you have to read 2 books per era or 5 books in 2 eras - 10 books in total.

message 45: by Claudia (last edited Sep 12, 2012 01:50AM) (new)

We've read Trying New Things, with debut authors and new to you authors. We are always rushing to the new and sometimes forgetting about authors we've liked in the past (at least I am). How about a challenge where you need to read books by authors you have read before?

Visiting Old Friends
Read 25 (10 for mini) books written by authors whose book(s) you have read before.
* You must have read at least 1 book of the author prior to the start date of the challenge.
* No more than 5 books per author. (3 for the mini challenge)

Trying Old Authors? :P

message 47: by Barbara (new)

How about: Visiting Old Friends.

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6943 comments Visiting Old Friends sounds nice :)

message 49: by Claudia (new)

Perfect, thanks Barbara. :)

message 50: by Barbara (new)

You're welcome! :)

« previous 1