Ravelry Knitters discussion

Mad Men, Bad Girls and the Guerilla Knitters Institute
Group Reading > September 2012 Group Read - Mad Men! Bad Girls! guerrilla knitters!

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Here's where we will discuss this months group read. I did not check this before popping it in e poll, but for the life of me, I cannot find a hard copy! It's available for Kindle and also on Audible, however, and I know a great many of us love the Audio book! I may wait for my newest credit to pop up and get it there....

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Waldman (floribunda) This book doesn't seem to exist outside Australia and New Zealand... At least not in any of the libraries in northern California!

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
It seems to only be on Kindle or Audible here in the UK too. I'm going to start the audio version today.

message 4: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
I'm in the USA and I think I going for the Audible version. I sampled it and liked the reader.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 12 comments It's not available at The Book Depository either though they show a paperback version.

message 6: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 20 comments It's available for Nook also. At $14.99 it's a bit of a stretch for me, then again, it's getting some enthusiastic reviews. hmmm... I'm thinking about it...

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 12 comments Yeah it's 14.99 on kindle which is expensive. I am waiting for my audible credit to be posted for the month.

Stephanie (QuiltsRMe) I ordered the audiobook from b&n and they sent me a knitting book! Anyway, I reordered the audio cd and it should be here by the end of the week. The cost was the same as for the audible version. I'm not willing to spend $15 for an ebook. I can listen to it while knitting from the knitting book that was sent to me in error.

message 9: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Okay, I got this on Audible and I'm really enjoying it! It's read by an australian, but her accent is pretty easy to understand. The knitting is (so far) a small part of the book, but actually it's turning into quite the mystery, and the atmospheric details about where it takes place in Australia are FASCINATING. I'm going to have to get out the atlas, but her comments about the area make it very colorful and easy to picture.

message 10: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 25, 2012 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie (QuiltsRMe) I'm up to Chapter 26 (audiobook) and feel infused by the supreme profluence of Bacchus.

I'm really enjoying this book! I can see why it was well received. So far though, not much knitting going on here, either in the book or myself. :)

message 11: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
I agree, not a ton of knitting, but I also knew that wasn't the main focus of this book. It's lighter than I thought (I've read some very GRIM books about cult involvement) and it's so well read (Audible version) I don't care!

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
I really enjoyed it. It was a fun listen and I really liked the narrator's voice. Not sure about the yarn bombing though - seems like a waste of good wool to me!

Rachelle (zombiesoup) I got it from the Kobo store originally (in Canada)

Stephanie (QuiltsRMe) Enjoyed the Audible version of this book. I hope this author comes out with more books in the future.

What I particularly liked was her introduction of side characters. She gave enough information about them to give them personality, even though some were barely part of the periphery. Just enjoyable all the way through. I agree with you Zoe - some books on cult involvement are very grim and disheartening. At least this one ends on a positive.