The Writers' Association discussion

Introduce Yourself > Favorite Books

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Like the favorite authors topic, this is another way to get to know you in a fun and interesting way that is befitting a group of authors. I know you may like a million books so just state a small portion.

Personally, I love the Hidden Hand by E.D.E.N. Southworth, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Rose in Full Bloom by Louisa May Alcott, The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis, The Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling, and, last but not least, The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen.

message 2: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Gosh where do i begin, as i am the kind of person who will read pretty much anything and everything! I have to say though that my favourite genre is fantasy fiction, which i read (& write) most of hence many authors i admire greatly are writers of this genre. I would say that JRR Tolkien and JK Rowling are two greats, that have truly inspired me since a very young age by opening up my imagination to all the possibilities!
Secondly, other authors of varying genres that i do greatly enjoy reading would have to be the remarkable Ken Follett (author of 'the pillars of the earth') who is a legend in my eyes and a master of his craft.
Lucinda x

message 3: by Anne (last edited Aug 31, 2012 02:43PM) (new)

Anne (Cinderella16) | 4 comments I do believe some of my favorites are... The Golden Chronicles series, Some Brief Folly, Married Past Redemption, and Love's Duet by Patricia Veryan. As for others... The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen, The Lightkeeper's Daughter by Colleen Coble, Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer, as well as Gown of Spanish Lace and A Bride for Donnigan by Janette Oke.

These are just a few...

message 4: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda *Please give recomendations for books that you would like to add to the group's bookshelf. They can be non-fiction, fiction, biography/autobiography or informative. Any writing guides, publishing guides and manuals would be useful*

message 5: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda (I am a Sherlock fan!:))

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Sherlock! I've only read one book about him by Arthur, but I still loved it. Anyone seen the BBC Sherlock series?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The one with Robert Downing Jr.? Yeah, that was horrible. It had the oddities of Sherlock, but they made it an action movie, not a movie about how bloody brilliant he is.
Well, I highly recommend the Sherlock BBC series. I think it is on Netflix if you do that sort of thing.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome. :)

message 9: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I love Sherlock! I've only read one book about him by Arthur, but I still loved it. Anyone seen the BBC Sherlock series?"

I LOVE the BBC Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman!!! *fan*. It is my favorite adaptation of the iconic character...you HAVE to see it Alexis :)

message 10: by Valencia (new)

Valencia Cain (IziCain) | 10 comments Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy.
Nuf said ;)

message 11: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 20 comments Mod
Good day, everyone! (I'm sorry, I have this obsession with happy greetings; I'll probably be saying this a lot)

My favorite book is Legacy by Cayla Kluver, but Narnia and the Hobbit will always have special places in my heart, along with the Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner.

Am I doing this right? I'm new to all this, so if I shouldn't be throwing these out... let me know?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

You're doing just fine, Cassandra. :)

message 13: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) The Art of Racing in the Rain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 14: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) The Hunger Games, Across the Universe, Virals, Divergent...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Stereotypical YA then?
Nice...

message 16: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) It's not all stereotypical! It's all original!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

No, I meant those are kind of like the stereotypical names classified as YA. Like, if someone heard someone talking about Divergent, they'd immediately think that person loves YA.

message 18: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) I do. I also love historical fiction though.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes!

message 20: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) Have you read Chains by LHA?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

No I haven't; is it good?

message 22: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) It is awesome! In some parts, I was in tears. It is definitely worth reading!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I will make sure to then!