Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

discussions > What do people think of discworld

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 12 comments series? I think it is one of the best sci-fi series out there.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 12 comments Personally, I'd always thought of it as a fantasy series ... what with wizards and witches, and the world floating on the back of a giant turtle, lol ...

But yes, it's a fun series. I like the Witch series, and the Vimes books. I'm so-so on the Death and Rincewind ones (save for "Interesting Times.")

message 3: by Rindis (new)

Rindis | 80 comments Decidedly fantasy. I've read a couple of volumes, and all the jokes were, "yeah, I get this is supposed to be funny," for me. Despite some concepts that should have been hilarious, they weren't funny.

For fantasy humor, I much prefer the Myth Adventures series. But Phil Foglio makes a great secret weapon, humor-wise.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina I like the wit, the puns and the sly (and not so sly) satire. I've only read the books that feature The Watch. I like the metamorphis of both Sam Vimes and The Watch in general over the course of their seven or so books. Curiously, I have never been interested in reading any of the others in the series.

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld, especially as the series has aged. The later books are better, to me, in that they don't try to drive home the puns as much, and instead go for more of a biting satire.

I was really sad to hear that he's been diagnosed with a rare, early form of Alzheimer's. D:

message 6: by Dan (last edited Dec 26, 2007 07:48AM) (new)

Dan (dannytheinfidel) | 32 comments Pratchett writes good books, but I have always like the independent Discworld novels like 'Thief of Time' and 'Monstrous Regiment'.

However hi have written a Sci-Fi book about a discworld, not about The Discworld. It's called 'Strata'.

message 7: by Tani (new)

Tani | 8 comments Like Rindis, Discworld is something I know is supposed to be funny, but somehow it just doesn't quite hit my funny bone. I suspect that it might be like me and Bill Bryson in that reading it to myself is mildly amusing, but having someone read it out loud to me would be hilarious, but I haven't tried it yet. I did really like Good Omens though.

message 8: by Chrystal714 (new)

Chrystal714 | 24 comments I just read Thud! I had no idea it was a series untill I began it. I really enjoyed it though. I will be looking up some of the others in the series.

message 9: by Vega (new)

Vega | 3 comments I enjoy Discworld although I haven't read all that many of them yet. Going Postal is probably my favorite.

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed | 12 comments I'm sad to hear about Pratchett being sick. I have so many of his books to read.

message 11: by Rindis (new)

Rindis | 80 comments I've read some Bill Bryson and found him hilarious. Whatever the fault is, it lies between me and Terry Pratchett in particular. Good Omens got exactly the same reaction from me as the Diskworld books, once again, in spite of things that should have been hilarious.

Things that I do find funny:
Myth Adventures
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Illegal Aliens
...and I have a memory of something leaving me in stitches that I read more recently than any of these, but I can't think of it. >.<

And while there are many great humorous graphic novels, I'll pick on Phil Foglio a bit here:
Buck Godot: Zap Gun For Hire
Girl Genius