Urban Fantasy discussion

OTHER TOPICS > San Diego ComicCon

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to be there, so I was just wondering...Is anyone in the group planning on attending the ComicCon (July 23-26 at the Convention Center)???

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I've wanted to go for a couple of years now, but it is too expensive with the hotel rooms, gas, and then the admission to the event. One of these years, I'll probably convince my husband that we should go. :)

Have fun! :)

message 3: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments New York Comic Con is this weekend! Whoo hoooo!

But I'm still hopeful to go to the San Diego Con. We shall see. As Theresa said, it's an expensive trip--especially from the east coast.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:59PM) (new)

Michelle M., tell me about the New York Comic Con. I've not heard of it. Is it put on by the same people who do the San Diego Comic Con International?

The last time I went to San Diego Comic Con, the 4 day passes were $50 for adults. That was 4 or 5 years ago. Now they're $75, but I think it's still very much worth it since there is so much to see and so many lectures and interesting people there. (Like Joss Whedon, the last time I was there!)

message 5: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments It's put on by a different group-it's not affiliated. But it's the same concept. Lots of panels featuring sneak peeks of upcoming movies and TV shows. Joss is going to be there Sunday to talk about Dollhouse. They're also going to have several panels from different publishing houses, discussing new releases for 2009. It was fantastic last year and the schedule so far looks equally good. A nice mix of comic and sci fi/fantasy-important to me since I'm not much of a comics gal. The exhibit hall is pretty expansive too and all of the vendors were truly nice and welcoming, eager to answer questions. There's a great vibe. If you buy the tickets ahead of time online, a weekend pass is only around $40ish. Cheap for three days with all the content promised. I truly enjoyed it and am looking forward to this weekend! If you're based near NY, you should certainly check it out. www.NYcomiccon.com

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 05, 2009 01:56AM) (new)

Wow, Michelle. M., that does sound a lot like the San Diego version. Cool!
Yeah, I'm not much into the comics, actually, either. I'm more there for the movies/tv, sci-fi/fantasy aspect too. I was/am a Buffy fan, so I always enjoy hearing Joss speak about his projects.
Thanks for the info!
:D

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Gitana, for some reason, I always thought that the passes to SD CC were a lot more expensive. Huh.

Are you driving or flying over? Isn't it hard to find decent priced hotels nearby?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

We're driving.
The hotel we're staying at is $156 or so per night. Many of the hotels were MUCH more. It seems that's about standard these days. We're staying at a Marriott Courtyard.
The hard part is remembering to book a hotel FAR in advance, because they fill up fast. You figure, something like 2000 people attend the event over the 4 days, and obviously not all those peeps live in the San Diego area.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. :)

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I wish I could go this year. It's been awhile but I went to a few when I lived in San Diego and I had so much fun! I don't remember too much except walking around and hanging out with my friends but I loved it. If I went now, I'd probably have to map out everything and everyone I'd want to see. Gitana, count yourself lucky and let us know what happens when you're there! At least we can live vicariously!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh...I'll give you a 'vacation summary of events' after I get back from the Con in July. That's a good idea, Kathryn. Thanks for thinking of it!