The MonSter discussion

Must read books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (docswife76) | 1 comments Mod
Anyone have a must read book for someone with MS? I have yet to find a book that really moved me to fight this monster.

message 2: by Sfdreams (new)

Sfdreams | 1 comments My personal favorites are "The MS Recovery Diet" by Ann Sawyer and Judith Bachrach, and "The First Year: Multiple Sclerosis: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed" by Margaret Blackstone and Saud Sadiq.

The first chapter in "The First Year" was titled "Reeling" which is exacty how I felt!!

But the MS Recovery Diet book is probably my favorite of the two--it has many personal accounts of different people. Plus, I already lean toward thinking that diet can heal many things--I've already seen it in myself: eating a raw vegan diet I cured my diabetes and eased my arthritis. I have since "fallen off the wagon" but I am a convert.

Check it out and let me know if it helps you as well.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganL) | 1 comments I loved the book MS and Your Feelings by Allison Shadday. It was very inspiring. I found it at a small book store on one of the islands by house about a month after I was diagnosed. My now husband read it with me and it definitly helped us sort through our feelings and get through that rough period.

Thanks for inviting me to the group!

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 08, 2009 07:18AM) (new)

I have enjoyed and learned from many books about MS. But, so far my favorite is Women Living with Multiple Sclerosis: Conversations on Living, Laughing and Coping by Judith Lynn Nichols. There is also a second book by her that I also love. She and her friends emailed each other about MS in an online support group and Nichols decided to make it into a book talking about common symptoms and things that happen in life to people, especially women with MS. Check it out!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1 comments My absolute favorite book ever hands down is Fall Down Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis. I can not tell you how this book has help me and my family with dealing the MS so much better. My dad has MS and after reading this book, all we do is laugh. Of course we look at MS seriously, but without laughing, how do you get through it. I have read Climbing Higher by Montel Williams and that was also a great book. I do have Terri Gerr's book and i'm going to read that shortly as well as Meredith Vera from the Today Show, her husband wrote a book, but that book is a little harder to read for myselt at least. I think if you have MS, you might find that book interesting. Get your hand on Squiggy's book. It will make you laugh and realize hey I have MS or I have a relative with MS and you know what, it's okay to laugh :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I do also like Teri Garr and Montel Williams books as well.
I read the book by Richard Cohen (Meredith Viera's husband) but that one is a little more serious and a bit depressing, though I did enjoy it and would recommend it. :)

P.S. Yes, you have to laugh to help get through all the craziness of the MonSter!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (LaurenBGrossman) | 7 comments Please read my interview: http://kippoe.blogspot.com/2011/05/la...

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (LaurenBGrossman) | 7 comments Marlo Dobato's "The Awkward Bitch - My Life with MS" was a very funny book. You can imagine her coming out punching.
I would also recommend my book, "Once in Every Generation." *bashful look* It's faction. Fictional story with lots of facts about MS since one of my characters has PPMS. It's a good read for people who need to understand what we go through. Because if you don't have it, you don't get it.

message 9: by Willeke (new)

Willeke Van Eeckhoutte (willekegmailcom) | 3 comments For people interested what living in Ireland is like, and what life as an MSer feels like (diagnosed with multiple sclerosis). Please feel free to read up and leave comments; I am new to blogging and am enjoying it big time but I can still learn a lot :D)

http://willemina73-willeke.blogspot.com/

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (LaurenBGrossman) | 7 comments Someone just compared my writing to Hemingway. Now I feel like getting drunk and punching someone.Oh well... amzn.to/d0MUEz

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (LaurenBGrossman) | 7 comments I had an idea and wondered if my friends at Goodreads would be willing to help me out. Four months ago I paid to have a book trailer made. It turned out great. In the 4 months I have had 840 visits and 24 comments. I may have made some book sales through it – that’s hard to tell.

I asking if all of you would please click onto this site:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQorTk... , and, if possible, leave a comment. That would help me rise up the Youtube ladder. Additionally, I’m requesting that you share the website address onto your Facebook page, Twitter, blogs, etc.

I don’t believe that a book trailer could possibly go “viral” – that only happens to people who burp the Star-Spangled Banner. But it would be a great experiment. Obviously, this request is not completely altruistic – it’s possible I may get some sales out of it. But, we could then all help each other in the same way, since we are all in the same boat.

My thanks to those of you who do this and please let me know your book’s name (website, Amazon link- if you’re an Amazon Associate, etc).

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin  (robinorr2) | 1 comments Its up to 947 now Lauren!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (LaurenBGrossman) | 7 comments Thanks, Robin. I check every day.

Robin O wrote: "Its up to 947 now Lauren!"

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Heather wrote: "Anyone have a must read book for someone with MS? I have yet to find a book that really moved me to fight this monster."

I just read Falling Down Laughing and for me it was perfect.

Fall Down Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn't Tell Nobody

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole wrote: "My absolute favorite book ever hands down is Fall Down Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis. I can not tell you how this book has help me and my family with dealing the MS so much bette..."

Oh, I agree with you. I also own 3 other books on ms which are helpful but this one provided a few laughs.
Oh, here comes another Colorado thunderstorm so I may have to unplug this thing again.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (LaurenBGrossman) | 7 comments "What Terms of Endearment" did for the mother-daughter relationship, "Once in Every Generation" does for the teacher-student connection.

Eleven-year-old Angelina Mariano was a phenomenon that happens only once in every generation. Her spectacular singing voice was incomparable. But a traumatic incident creates a debilitating phobia which destroys any dream of pursuing her passion.

As an adult, Angelina teaches private voice lessons and takes on a student whose voice she recognizes as an astonishing talent and one who has the possibility of the career that eluded her. Lisa Forester is that student. Becoming her mentor and friend, Angelina nourishes young Lisa’s talent and instills in her that which had escaped her—the confidence and belief in her own superb talent.

Unleashed, the young student’s talent launches her on a meteoric rise to stardom. At the height of Lisa’s career, a life-altering illness arises - multiple sclerosis. Because of her love for Lisa, Angelina must face her own fears and dig deep down inside herself to find the courage to sing.

Relying on one another’s strength, both women must learn to face their own challenges.

"Once in Every Generation" is a story of relationships, courage and dreams interrupted.

Available as paperback or e-book.