Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > This is so cool!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 31, 2009 03:42PM) (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments I went to a thread on historical romance and found an auction put on for Sharon Cullars (Author).
I like auctions and took a peek.

Well I won an item from Dyanne Davis, I have not read her books yet. She is writing some romance and paranormal romance books. Vampires. She is an African American Author.

What I bid on and won was to be a character in her next book. She will sign and send when done. She called me today to find out if I wanted to be in her vampire series or one of her romance novels.It was so nice to talk with her. I was surprised . I guess I wasn't expecting her to actually call. Anyway.. she wont kill me off (that was nice) LOL!!

She writes her vampire novels under name of F.D. Davis.

So now for another one of those challenges,I have a new author to try!

I just had to share I thought this was soooo cool!

I do not think I have heard her name come up. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with her books.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Cheryl, That is just so cool! I haven't heard of this author, but I just looked her up on Amazon and there are two books out in her vampire series. They look pretty good. I'll be seeing if I can dig up a copy. She has many romance novels and I might try some of those too. So? Which type of book are you going to "be" in?

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 146 comments Wow I am jealous! How cool is that!

Thats so awesome :D Very fun indeed, let me know what the book is called I will HAVE to pick it up :D

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 31, 2009 04:58PM) (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments I will be in her vampire books, next one out is next year.

She said her vampire Adam demanded his own websie LOL!
she gave me 2 sites
Adamomega.com and adamomegavampire.com ( it maybe aol.com)

He seems to have some unusual characteristics. She stated definitely not a fluffy vampire. LOL!!

She mentioned it would have been embarassing if no one bid, she was so nice! She is even getting me L.A. Banks new book coming out,autographed and sent to me. WOW!
You always get some interesting things when artist agree to auction off something. She was like what can I offer? I told her it was a wonderful idea and unique.
I loved how she stated she got started on the vampire series. People in her church were saying she was going to hell for writing romance novels. So she thought now let see where they think I am going. I love it! LMAO!!

Aren't we always having to deal with looks or comments when people hear what we read.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) Wow, that really is cool. So is she just using your name, or did she ask you some stuff about yourself that she'll incorporate?

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments She asked me info about myself and after speaking with me stated yeah, she is not going to kill me off.

I like that, I do not know about dying in a book. LOL!!

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Looks and comments - yes! Why is that? I really don't care anymore, but I always throw out the don't judge a book by it's cover. Or title. It's usually the title that gets me weird looks.

What's really cool is that she called you to talk to you! How did the L.A. Banks book come up?

message 8: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 31, 2009 06:39PM) (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments We were talking about her books as I have yet to read one. I have not noticed her books. I typically go to Barnes and Nobles. We got on the subject of how Boarder's put her books on the African American shelf.So you have to look for her there. I guess Author's have asked Boarder's to put them into the genre, to no avail.

Anyway, she asked if I have read L.A. Banks.I have Forgiven, it has been a while since I read it. She states that L.A. Banks is such a wonderful, special person. She will be doing a local cable talk show that Dyanne Davis host.So since she is coming out, she said she would love to get me a book.

I was really impressed with how open and truly sweet she was. I guess I wasn't expecting that at all. I do not know what I expected. I guess, just a let me get this done and over with attitude. This was refreshing.
She told me to expect a box from her this week. Her generosity was unexpected.

She is like you have my phone number call me anytime. She states she hear from her readers all the time. Her email address is Dyannedavis.com

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa So, wait. Her books aren't in the romance genre section? I'm sure that's where I would have looked. I didn't even know they had an African American shelf. What else have I missed out on by not looking there?!?!

Just because she was so nice and because I really liked what I read about her vampire series on Amazon, I'm totally going to Borders with my next coupon! Glad you shared your news!

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments Yeah, I thought that was weird with the African American section.

They really should put it in the romance section. I guess if it came down to it, why not a book in both sections.

Thanks, I had to share. Things like this do not happen to me! LOL!!

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 31, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

Congrats!!

When LA Banks was a fairly new author, I picked up her first book somewhere. Enjoyed it and wanted to read more, so I went to Borders (several times) looking for it. Finally, after I was about to give up, one of the clerks pointed out it might be in the African American section (a small section tucked between several others). IMO it's really frustrating (and silly) to have to know the race of a good author to find her books on the shelf, I suspect it costs them sales.

Duh, a paranormal author belongs on the PnR shelf!

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments Yeah, I agree Denni. She mentioned that authors have tried to get it changed. I would not imagine you only have one book, so put it in more than one spot.

I would be totally frustrated. As a buyer, I would go to the section (genre) I was looking for. I do not browse the whole store.

Now that I know that, I will pay more attention in bookstores.

message 13: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Wow, Cheryl, that's awesome! That sounds like so much fun to see yourself written into a book. I have her book on my TBR because I'm always interested to see more variety in the PNR genre, but I haven't gotten a chance to read her yet. Let me know what you think! :)

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments new_user,

I can't wait to see what she does. I found it funny when she asked me if I wanted to die in the book! I told her I would leave that to her.It was nice when she stated she would kill me. LOL!!
She is sending me what she has at home, if she has a couple of her books. She really wanted me to read "In the Beginning" to get introduced to her vampire Adam. She told me to expect a box from her this week.
I can't wait!!

message 15: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 146 comments Its like they are trying to treat african americans differently on purpose by giving them their own section..

Good lord will it never end? Treat her the same as everyone else and put her in the spot she deserves people!!!!

Had to rant a little there sorry!

message 16: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hm, yes, at a Borders near us they feature the suspense AA books in the AA section and the suspense section, which I think is a good choice because a lot of people just feel uncomfortable standing in front of the AA section if they're not AA. :/

message 17: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 01, 2009 10:09AM) (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments They probably started that with customer requests and thought sales would go up.But, if they are not posting the books in two areas they are losing potential readers for that book.
I look at books in the genre section. I read the backs, look at the covers and go by friends recommendations. So if a book isn't there, I am not exposed to it.

I should have come across one of her books. I am new to reading paranormal, so I spend a lot of time at the book stores looking at a book by every author. That way I get a feel of where I want to start.

At least that was until you guys gave me some great recommendations for books. So now I start there. LOL!!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) Yeah, I think it's a small percentage of readers who are going to look for a book based on the race of the author. Certainly let's celebrate diversity, but it never would have even occurred to me to look for a book in that section. I didn't even know it existed. If I was looking for a PNR book and it wasn't in the romance or fantasy sections, I would leave thinking they didn't have it. Dumb dumb dumb...

message 19: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 146 comments You got that right Nichole.. Race DOES NOT matter. Ever.

If the author is good they are good and deserve to be put in the areas with other authors instead of singled out because of the color of her skin.

And I didnt even KNOW there was a section for African American authors.. I mean why would I? I dont consider them separate.. /boggles at stupid people.

Anyhow! enough of my ranting, I will definitely be checking this author out!

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather (ClownG33K) | 6 comments Cheryl that is so awesome! I wish that was me! I'd SO eat that up in big gulp! LMAO! But anyhow let us know more when you get the box of goodies! ;)

Now to the AA section bologna! I never knew that myself! Now I am going to have to look in that section to find her books. That is so ridiculous! I can't believe that kind of crap still happens! That is so absurd! Oh well maybe we should petition against that bologna! HAHA! I am going to have to check her out as well! Rock on!

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather (ClownG33K) | 6 comments I'm at work and realized I kept saying bologna over and over! LOL! My poor brain just isn't working this crazy Monday!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

"Certainly let's celebrate diversity, but it never would have even occurred to me to look for a book in that section. I didn't even know it existed." You're reading my mind all over the discussion threads today Nichole!

I think originally the AA shelf was supposed to be a special showcase for AA authors (not segregation) and maybe helpful for AA romance if race is an important criteria. But IMO works on the assumption that only AA readers would be interested in reading them, which is kinda silly. A good book, is a good book.

message 23: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 146 comments Indeed Denni!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) LOL, Denni... I'm glad we're on the same page. :) Great minds think alike and all that...

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 44 comments Heather,

When I get my box I will let you know!!LOL!

What surprised me was the authors have asked themselves to be put on the shelves with the genre and no on is listening to them. Their book sales probably would be up as more readers of that genre would see.

I felt bad saying I only found out about her on the auction. I mean I do look at books and notice author names. So with as many hours as I have spent in bookstores, you would have thought I would have noticed her.
But she was gracious. You never know what an author is going to say LOL!!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't feel bad Cheryl, I'm familiar with LOTS of authors (whether I've read them or not) and I don't recognize Dyanne Davis either. Let us know what you think, always looking for good new authors!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Denni wrote: ""Certainly let's celebrate diversity, but it never would have even occurred to me to look for a book in that section. I didn't even know it existed." You're reading my mind all over the discussion ..."

IMO I thought the AA section was specifically for those who only wanted to read characters that were mostly AA. I stopped going to that section simply because it doesn't display a wide array of AA authors it's mostly street lit books and erotica. Which don't get me wrong I love but I needed a break from. You really have to go through all the titles to find a good AA romance or something other then the two genre I mentioned. The libraries AA is more diverse than a bookstores and that's only if you go to the "right one" meaning in an mostly AA neighborhood. I think the bookstores just display what is poplar with a lot of AA readers which are the street lit books and erotica.

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2009 10:12AM) (new)

That's Nichole's excellent quote!

"IMO I thought the AA section was specifically for those who only wanted to read characters that were mostly AA. I stopped going to that section simply because it doesn't display a wide array of AA authors it's mostly street lit books and erotica."...exactly the feeling I got while browsing the AA section at my local bookstore, Jael. At the time unfortunately, some of the authors (like LA Banks) weren't shelved in both places. Haven't checked lately, so don't know if it's changed.

message 29: by Kercelia (new)

Kercelia | 9 comments I would like to congratulate you Cheryl! I think it's great that you are to be featured in a book. As for the racial issue, I have never based my choice of reading material on any such criteria. This topic was discussed some months ago on a site where I am a member. I agree that good writing is good writing - no matter what race the author happens to be. Please keep us informed about the new book.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) I can see why having an AA section would be beneficial for people who want to read books where the characters are primarily AA, as Jael mentioned. That makes more sense to me, but you guys are all right. If they're going to do that with genre specific books, they need to put them in both sections or they're doing that author a disservice.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) IA Nichole. It's a shame b/c there are good writers out there no matter the race and they should get shelved according to genre also BTW Cheryl Congrats on being in a book can't wait to read about your character.