Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) Fire discussion

Need clarity on all the family tree confusion!

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leah possible spoilers!

Please help me understand - If Broca (Audio book - not sure of spellings) was the father of Nash, Briggan, and ( stand in father) of Archer - what was the situation with Archer's true father. In Chapter 30 she describes a misdeed by Broca to his wife - Alice? or was the misdeed fathering Nash and Briggan with Rowan?

Was Archer the father of both Mila and Clara's babies?

I wish I had a paper copy of this book so that I could flip through the pages.

message 2: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E CAUTION: Spoilers Follow.

Brocker was the military commander under Nash. He cheated on his wife, Aliss, and got Queen Roen pregnant. Roen gave birth to Brigan. To get Brocker back, Nash sent a rapist to rape Aliss, and that's how Archer was conceived. So Archer's real father is a rapist (who they later figured out was the archer under Leck's mind control).

Yes, Archer was the fater of both Mila and Clara's babies.

Leah Can't thank you enough E - it was driving me crazy! I guess it makes the case for paper books over audio - it's really hard to flip back to a general area on audio unless it's right in the beginning of a chapter.

Am I remembering correctly that Fire's real father (can't spell it without a print copy) is also Nash's father?

message 4: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E No problem. I really loved this book. Fire's father was Cansrel, the "advisor" to King Nax. He basically manipulated the king do all sorts of evil deeds, which is why Brigan was so wary of Fire at the beginning. He didn't want her to manipulate Nash.

Sorry, I think I got the earlier king's name wrong in my first message. Broker was Nax's advisor. Nax was Mash's and Brigan's father.

message 5: by Leah (last edited Sep 01, 2012 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Wow, I wouldn't have been able to figure that out without re-reading the first half of the book - thanks for helping me out. So Nash is at least 20 years older than Archer? Can't wait to get Bitterblue. I hope Katsa and Po are in it somewhere or I might just go back and read Graceling again to get my fill ;)

message 6: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E Nax is about 20 years older. Nash is his son. I read somewhere Nash is 10 years older than Fire, so he is probably about 8 years older than Archer.

Katas and Po are in Bitterblue, but I found Katsa's character to be kind of odd in Bitterblue. She was more appealing in Graceling, when the book is more in her perspective.

Samantha The Escapist E wrote: "Nax is about 20 years older. Nash is his son. I read somewhere Nash is 10 years older than Fire, so he is probably about 8 years older than Archer.

Katas and Po are in Bitterblue, but I found K..."

OT sorta but I liked Bitterblue Katsa, it only makes sense that Katsa would change in 10 years and learn to be more friendly. Plus Katsa doesn't have the best perception of herself.

Kyle I thought Katsa was different in Bitterblue too. Granted, she is older and her life is more organized and whatnot, but she still seemed different. I can't think of a way to describe her, it just wasn't Graceling her.

Becky I liked that she was different, it seemed that she had finally figured out who she was and how she fitted into life

message 10: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E I think Katsa is described from Bitterblue's perspective, despite the fact that the story is narrated in third person. We do not hear Katsa's thoughts like we did in Graceling. I can understand how from another person's perspective Katsa appears rough and tumble, but I really didn't like how it seemed like Katsa and Po are constantly roughhousing like a bunch of baby cheetahs or something. It seems very immature behavior. While she and Po had done that in private in Graceling, it seems like very inappropriate behavior for their age in Bitterblue. I think the problem generally was that Bitterblue is written very superficially, and she just seems so much "younger" than Fire and Katsa did in their books, but they were all supposed to be around the same age.

Becky That might be because Katsa and Fire were both forced to grow up fast to deal with their respective problems. Bitterblue was so sheltered by her advisors that she doesn't seem to have matured at a normal rate, yet when we read about Katsa and Fire they both seemed older than their years.

Carly Svamvour Montanamarynotmartha wrote: "Wow, I wouldn't have been able to figure that out without re-reading the first half of the book - thanks for helping me out. So Nash is at least 20 years older than Archer? Can't wait to get Bitter..."

Yeah - I'm thinking of that too. But not right now. I'm planning to order Bitterblue in the New Year - I want to see if there's an audio available by then.

Carly Svamvour BTW - I gave up 2 things early on in Fire ...

1) looking for characters from Graceling;

2) trying to figure out who was who.

But I enjoyed the story just the same.

Samantha The Escapist Hehe on the topic of Katsa's different personality in Bitterblue I'll just say that in 10 years if I'm exactly the same as I am right now I will deem it a failure indeed.

I also think the rough-housing is a cute trait for the two of them and while the outward expressions of affection are a little untoward remember that this is an alternate world and most people seem to be quite liberally minded - who is to say all the same notions exist? Besides which Po and Katsa are supposed to be 2 in a million type of personallities, they're bound to have a few traits that might rub others the wrong way simply by existing so differently. Remember, they're used to being on their own on the road when they're together.

Onto the regular topic I'm trying to make a sims world of the Dells and the 7 kingdoms and since I reread Fir 3 months ago now I had to refer to this topic to remember what family ties to make between all the dellians lol.

Christine So Brigan and Archer are technically not brothers then.

message 16: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E Christine wrote: "So Brigan and Archer are technically not brothers then."
No, nor is Brigan the brother of Clara/Garan. Only Brigan and Nash are related since Roen is their mother.

Christine Thank you E. OK, This is driving me crazy. BTW, I love these books. I thought Nax was the father of Clara/ Garan and Nash with the mother being Roen. Then Brocker and Roen had Brigan. Then Aliss and Jod (by rape) had Archer, raised by Brocker. Where am I going wrong?

message 18: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E This thread is pretty funny, isn't it? Christine, Nash is Clara/Garan's father, but their mother is someone else. I can't remember her name, but Clara and Fire had lunch at her house n King's City. Brigan's parents are Roen and Brocker. Nash is the only child between Roen and Nax.

Christine Ooh, ok. Thank you again,E. Yes this is a very funny thread! I am definitely going to have to read all of these books again.