Debut Fiction Panel Discussion - August 30, 2012 discussion

Questions for Rebecca

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 9 comments Mod
If you've got a question for Rebecca Harrington, please ask it here. Rebecca's novel is Penelope.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Smallwood (AmySmllwd) | 2 comments Rebecca - The character of Lan was so...unique and hilarious and (In my reading of her) deadpan. Was she based on someone in particular in your life?

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Harrington | 5 comments Hi Amy!

That is so nice to hear! I love Lan myself, but she wasn't really based on anyone I had ever known. I wish she existed and was my friend/apathetic compatriot that tolerated me.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Smallwood (AmySmllwd) | 2 comments That's how I felt! I need a friend like her for entertainment value. Having someone like her like me would make me feel pretty awesome! Ha

message 5: by Will (new)

Will | 1 comments Were the characters in Penelope ones that you had workshopped or used in other work prior to putting together this manuscript? Have you conceived of this universe in other work or did you create an entirely new context for Penelope?

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Harrington | 5 comments Hi Will,

Thanks for such a good question. The answer is, not at all! All the characters were experiments, especially Penelope herself. I had not really written something from a particularly limited narrator before so it was an interesting challenge. The rest of the characters really just came to me as I wrote the book.

Debut Fiction Panel Discussion - August 30, 2012

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Penelope (other topics)