Literature & Film discussion

DREAM ADAPTATION

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by brian (new)

brian   okay, here goes...

if you had unlimited studio (or indie) backing and your choice of stars... what novel would you adapt (write and direct)? who'd you cast in it?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 111 comments "Finnegans Wake" with a script by Tom Stoppard and the members of Monty Python in the cast. David Carkeet's "I been there before" with Harry Dean Stanton as Twain. And how about "John Carpenter's Moby-Dick", with Kurt Russell as Ahab?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason | 6 comments Paul Thomas Anderson's _Fathers and Crows_, with a script by Stoppard (Robert's on to something there), with Daniel Day-Lewis, Ralph Fiennes, Christian Bale .... Shot by Chris Doyle. Even three hours wouldn't do, so it'd have to be an HBO series.

Or Billy Wilder (are resurrections legit?) doing _God's Country_, starring Don Cheadle and Sean Penn.

I'd pay to see that Moby-Dick, too.

message 4: by Alison (last edited Dec 18, 2007 06:35AM) (new)

Alison I just finished "Red Harvest" and I was first surprised that there had never been a legit adaptation (loosely adapted, I think, am I wrong?) and secondly, I was wracking my brain to think who could play the Continental Op (a "fat, middle-aged, hard-boiled, pig-headed guy) or Dinah Brand (messy hair, crooked lipstick, runny stockings who has the pick of her men in Poisoinville). So, maybe Russell Crowe for the Op, and somebody kind of sloppy for Dinah...Courtney Love? Haha. I don't know.

Martin Scorcese to direct, but there would have to be some REALLY gifted writers to get all that convoluted plot straight with all the thugs and bad cops. And all the killings...

There's this one chapter that's ready-made for film ..the rigged boxing match...the will he or won't he throw the fight? And then the great resolution (I won't spoil it). Maybe Clint Eastwood could direct. He would get that scene right for sure.

I would also loooooove to see the Thin Man re-done, but Nick and Nora Charles? No idea who could fill those shoes. Nick was 41, Nora 26. George Clooney and Scarlett Johansen? Kimley, are you listening?

message 5: by Kimley (new)

Kimley | 201 comments Mod
I'm still checking in Alison.

Great thread here Brian! I'll have to think about this one. And Brian, you neglected to say your "dream adaptation".

Robert, I've only managed to read bits and pieces of Finnegans Wake but must say I like your thinking on this one!

I'm about to head off to see family for two weeks so I've been swamped finishing up some work stuff and will only be checking in every once in a while in the next two weeks.

Do carry on!

message 6: by Scoobs (new)

Scoobs | 5 comments The Bible
Starring Charlton Heston, Val Kilmer, Ben Kingsley, Jim Caviezel, Harvey Keitel and Willem Dafoe all in multiples roles.
Maybe directed by Mel Gibson, but probably just a cameo.

Let me really think about this one.

Probably would be King's Dark Tower series, but not sure who would act and direct, etc.

That Moby Dick does sound fuckin awesome.

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic love the idea for Finnegans Wake. and i agree a Dark Tower adaptation would be great. seems like i heard something about an HBO miniseries awhile back. or maybe HBO just acquired the rights...not sure.