Chick Lit Book Club discussion

The Ivy Chronicles
This topic is about The Ivy Chronicles
2012 Book Archive > 9/2012: The Ivy Chronicles: Part One: Chapters 11-13

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laura (lauraactually) | 55 comments 1. How do you feel about the way Mae is being accepted to a prestigious kindergarten program?

2. Do you think that Ivy’s kindergarten consulting business is going to be profitable? Do you think she will get clients right away or will it be a struggle?

3. We know a lot about Faith’s lavish lifestyle, what do you imagine Faith looking like? What about her husband, Steve and daughter, Mae?

4. How would you feel after receiving the phone call from Citi Group? What would you have done at that moment if you were Ivy?

Laura (lauraactually) | 55 comments 1. I think it's crazy. I really do wonder if NYC schools are like this. In Faith's mind it is probably 100% normal and worth it. But me, I'd never do it.

2. I think Ivy is in over her head with her business. I think if she finds the right clientele then yes, it can succeed. It seems as though these parents will do anything to get their kids into these Baby Ivy's. I don't know how much luck she will have with placement, because it's not as if Ivy can actually let them into the school herself. There is still a process that must be followed.

3. I think Faith is probably a bit older (late 30's, early 40's) very pretty, blonde hair. I can't think of someone that she would look like! I just have my own version of her in my mind. I think Steven Lord probably looks similar to a George Clooney type, and Mae... is probably very sweet and innocent looking. Fair skin, brown hair. Who knows! They are supposedly making this book into a movie.

4. I wouldn't have asked if I got a sevrents package before working there!!! I'm sure it must have sucked for her to hear this, but she needs to make sure to keep that door open in case a future position became available.

message 3: by Chelsi (last edited Sep 10, 2012 05:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chelsi | 47 comments 1. I think it is completely unfair but unfortunately it is probably a reality in a lot of those schools. I know my private school was only 11,000 a year but paying/ donating to get in still happened behind the scenes though to a smaller extent.
2. I think there are probably people out there who would pay someone for services like the one she will offer but I don't know that she will get a huge amount of clients. It seems like a small pool of people out there could afford the service. Also I don't know if people will just trust someone who has never done this before but I suppose faith's recommendation may help.
3. I think faith is probably in her 30's and we know she is thin since it is in her prenup that she must be. I imagine her with light hair and an overly made up face. Steven I imagine as older and less good looking as his money probably lessens how good he needs to be to marry a beautiful women, though I certainty don't imagine him to be ugly. Mae I imagine as small and petite with dark, short, Bob - like hair.
4. It would gave been upsetting but since it was over the phone I would have made the conversation quick and cried or been upset after I hung up. I probably would have called my best friend and talked to her about the situation.
upsetting but since

elizabeth_agd | 72 comments 1. The prestigious kindergarten program and the way Mae is accepted is entitlement working at it's best. I guess if that's how the rich want to roll their dough good for them.

2. I think based on Faith's experience Ivy’s kindergarten consulting business will be profitable. Not sure she can charge the $40k that Faith suggested though. I'm wondering though, for that kind of coin, what are her clients going to expect in the way of a guarantee if they do not get it.

3. Faith was described as having to stay 110 lbs but I don't recall her height. I'm picturing a petite woman (around 5'2"). I don't have an image on much else. Steve to me seems like he'd be a grey-haired, wrinkled wonder. I have no idea about Mae.

4. I'd feel great relief after the call from Citi Group to tell me I'm hired and I'd probably laugh out loud when they said it was made redundant before I even started. Good for Ivy for asking about a severance package! I like her quick thinking.

I'm having a really hard time "caring" about the poor-me-rich-girl character. Anyone else?

Marion | 1150 comments 1. My guess is that this kind of thing goes on.

2. I think it will be successful.

3. Someone who has perfect hair, makeup and clothes since she has someone to do everything for her.

4. I would be disappointed, but I think everything happens for a reason.

Elizabeth - I think that with everything that has happened to her she should be figuring out what is really important rather than sticking with her screwed up priorities. I'm not hating the book, but I don't really like Ivy.

message 6: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 11 comments 1. How do you feel about the way Mae is being accepted to a prestigious kindergarten program?

Sounds like this is the going thing there. Especially if they are donating that kind of money to the school.

2. Do you think that Ivy’s kindergarten consulting business is going to be profitable? Do you think she will get clients right away or will it be a struggle?

I think her consulting business will start out slow, but once it gets going it will be profitable. I think it will take her getting someone really rich in then others will follow.

3. We know a lot about Faith’s lavish lifestyle, what do you imagine Faith looking like? What about her husband, Steve and daughter, Mae?

I imagine Faith as a person that dresses like she has lots of money and is always made up. I picture as a really small woman that tries to not eat much to keep up with her agreement with her husband :) She does not seem unhappy or anything.

4. How would you feel after receiving the phone call from Citi Group? What would you have done at that moment if you were Ivy?

I would feel down about the call, but also after just being laid off I would have already had my guard up. I would have thanked them for considering me and told them please do keep me in mind for the future. I would have already had my resume going though.

*This book really is a light read for me so I do not think I dislike Ivy. I do think that some of the other characters like Sassy are pretty horrible to exclude people that are not in their class.