Chick Lit Book Club discussion

The Ivy Chronicles
This topic is about The Ivy Chronicles
2012 Book Archive > 9/2012: The Ivy Chronicles: Part One: Chapters 1-5

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laura (lauraactually) | 55 comments 1. How do you think Ivy handled being laid off from her corporate job? What things would have you done differently?

2. In chapter 2, Ivy gives a detailed list of her expenses. In her situation, what things would you cut and how would you go about trying to make sure all the other expenses were covered?

3. Did you expect Cadmon to be cheating on Ivy? Did you think it seemed as though they had a perfect life?

4. Being a full-time mom is a big adjustment for Ivy. How do you think her transition is going this far? What things would you change and what things do you think Ivy is doing really well with?

5. In chapter 5 we learn that Kate’s goldfish needs surgery in order to stay alive. At $1500.00 for the surgery, but also a recently dead guinea pig, what would you have done in this situation?

Laura (lauraactually) | 55 comments 1. If I were Ivy I would have probably told Drayton off and voiced my opinion on how unfair everything was.

2. I think most of the expenses on Ivy's list were frivolous. I would have cut almost all of them. The girls school was outrageous at 50000 a year.

3. I didn't expect him to, but if you read the book summary it implies that it was going to happen

4. I think Ivy did good with the transition. It seems as though she has it all under control. I would have started looking for a job immediately though.

5. 1500 is a lot and Ivy doesn't have it. I probably would have tried to replace the fish without her knowing. If that didn't work I'd tell her lets go buy a new one.

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 31, 2012 09:52AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) How do you think Ivy handled being laid off from her corporate job? What things would have you done differently? Not well. Absolutely she needed to keep it polite and professional. But, she should have asked immediately for written references with the promise in return that she would make the termination as easy as possible for company and staff; since she already bawled she should have kept crying long enough to think it thru or excused herself saying she needed to take a moment in ladies room to pull herself together and say she would then return, cooperate and discuss more professionally because last thing she wanted to do was make it any harder on anyone. Then use the bathroom break to think thru, definitely about getting recs in writing but also possibly to call personal lawyer or the unemployment office about what her rights were. With severence cut from months to weeks, I would have taken the HR papers but told them I never signed anything without my lawyer looking over and let 'em sweat. Worst case scenario, could lose that check but likely they would make a settlement offer; even if not willing to go to court their butts would have to disclose all settlement hings at a later hearing with unemployment office. If not willing to give her papers for lawyer to look over, have hysterical crying jag where you cannot possibly read what they want you to sign, preferably bad enough they worry about mental state that as technically still employed or at least covered by company insurance the company would still have to cover—could get settlement right then and there. Plus if ever went to court, a clearer case for having signed papers under duress. Worse case scenario, HR usually not the recommendation future mployers seek, it's with your boss whom you have already schmoozed with how easy you were going to make the dept merging post-departure. Just always be professional, get it in writing, and if you do lose it—use the crying jag to gain time to get it in gear and think. Based on her expenses, could sell off enough stuff to replace the severance anyway.

In chapter 2, Ivy gives a detailed list of her expenses. In her situation, what things would you cut and how would you go about trying to make sure all the other expenses were covered? I'd cut everything except mortgage and school. And, I would let school know of husband's change of address so that all bills would be sent to him. When I got an actual job interview, for that one time I would do hair, manicure, and beauty routine and not count the expense because the more they sniff you "need" job the less they offer.

Did you expect Cadmon to be cheating on Ivy? Did you think it seemed as though they had a perfect life? No clue. Just way too soon to have known anything about him or about their relationship. His character just a blip in the story so far.

Being a full-time mom is a big adjustment for Ivy. How do you think her transition is going this far? What things would you change and what things do you think Ivy is doing really well with? Seems she is handling way too easily. Great that she loves being a mom; but, after never caring for kids full-time herself, not really plausible that it was that easy for her.

In chapter 5 we learn that Kate’s goldfish needs surgery in order to stay alive. At $1500.00 for the surgery, but also a recently dead guinea pig, what would you have done in this situation? Without the feng sui refund, I would have replaced the fish plus a new buddy and credited any behavior changes to the fish reacting to a near death experience, new friend, and the glorious new habitat I would buy (it's a goldfish; koi and cichlids are trainable and develop big personalities but not goldfish). Kid goes to school, I say taking to vet as that was only time slot could do surgery, comes home to fish in new upgraded habitat. Bad idea to have just one fish anyway; always have backup for when one dies. Absolutely would not let her have fish die; does not take a therapist to know you are risking one loss/trauma too many. With the refund conveniently matching surgery fee, I see how she did the surgery (without guarantee would be successfull, I am not sure I would have. Those ten dollar goldfish likely not to handle stress of transport to vet much less surgery and if was swim bladder problem, which made more sense from symptoms described, would either respond to antibiotics in tank or would be continual problem leading to fatality no matter how many surgeries...wonder if fish survives thru rest of book?)

So far, I am not into this book. Characters have not yet come to life for me although of course sympathetic to loss of job, marriage and lifestyle change. Writing and story striking me as kind of bland with same stuff you might read in any mommy's blog. About the only part I enjoyed was her threatening the homewrecker with plugged in blowdryer. I have also only read the first five chapters (not making the ebook version price I paid worthwhile yet; but, it is early in the story).

Chelsi | 47 comments 1. Honestly I probably would have had a meltdown at work and have told off Drayton and Konrad. I also probably wouldn't have thought to write in the $500 tip so good for her.
2. I'd cut most things and those that I couldn't I would do cheaper. I mean $20,000 for private lessons seems outrageous! 12,000 for hair, I would buy box die and go to a cheap salon. I'd basically cut back on myself so I could still provide the best possible for my children.
3. As soon as she wondered where her husband was I knew that the cheating was coming. TV makes it seem like that is a pretty common occurrence in high society NYC.
4. I think she is doing well at remaining calm but I feel Id be spending more time job hunting.
5. Probably would have switched the fish out with a healthy one of the same variety while Kate was sleeping or at school.

message 5: by Bee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bee (Bee69) | 38 comments 1. Ivy dealt with Drayton and Konrad very ell. She kept her cool and was very professional. However, I would have had to speak my mind and remind them what an asset I have been to the company and how hard I worked.

2. Ivy's expenses were high and did she need to have all those things at such high prices. She was able to cutback and seemed pretty OK with doing that. Not an impossible task. I would cutback on most things if not all and make sure the children's needs were met.

3.When came home and did not see her husband at the computer and could spell orange blossom this when I suspected her husband was entertaining a woman. I agree with Bianca. TV does make it seems like this happens all the time.

4. Ivy is hoping well with being a full-time mum. I do feel she needs to find a job soon because her redundancy money won't last long an life likes t throw the unexpected expenses when you least expect it.

5. $1500 for a procedure on a fish. No way! I would have not have paid that money knowing it would be cheaper to get another one. I know her daughters upset but through discussion I am sure they could have reached a compromise.

elizabeth_agd | 72 comments 1. Why would Ivy have thought that the other guy would have waited? After she just described about corporate sabotage why wouldn't she have made up her own plan? She seemed to have given up before the fight had really started. I would have been more strategic and pro-active when I sensed a problem than Ivy was.

2. Ivy could have negotiated a lot of her services. Also, there were a lot of extras that were just that - extra. It is hard to imagine such a life as she had.

3. It was too early to get involved in Cadmon and their relationship so I didn't really care either way about the relationship. Him having been laid off for so long was a bit of a red flag to me (not that he was cheating but that he was taking advantage of the good life).

4. I think Ivy just needs to focus on her children and what is best for her new family life. I think she is making pretty sound decisions so far (to move, explore job opportunities even if they aren't her #1 choice, etc.).

5. Flush or replace with a similar one.

Marion | 1150 comments 1. I think that Ivy should have stood up to Drayton more, but I think they were just playing a game to let her go so it wouldn't have mattered.

2. Her expenses are crazy. I can't imagine wasting that kind of money.

3. It didn't think they had a perfect life. She was doing everything (except what the employees did for her) for the family.

4. I think Ivy is doing well at being a full time mom. She loves her kids and is trying to do what is best for them.

5. Kids are stronger than we give them credit for sometimes. I would not have blinked an eye before saying "No, we are not saving the fish."

message 8: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 11 comments 1. How do you think Ivy handled being laid off from her corporate job? I think Ivy was probably in shock, but put up with things to be professional.

What things would have you done differently? I would have spoke up more.

2. In chapter 2, Ivy gives a detailed list of her expenses. In her situation, what things would you cut and how would you go about trying to make sure all the other expenses were covered? I would cut out the high price hair appointments, treatments, nannies and anything else that I would not be able to cover.

3. Did you expect Cadmon to be cheating on Ivy? Did you think it seemed as though they had a perfect life? I did not expect Cad to be cheating, but I know it was not as perfect as it seemed. He was unemployed and was not helping at all. Even with all of the help it sounded like Ivy was still having to do a lot.

4. Being a full-time mom is a big adjustment for Ivy. How do you think her transition is going this far? What things would you change and what things do you think Ivy is doing really well with? I think Ivy really did not know how it was to be a full time mom, but I think she realized she liked it. Ivy loved being with her kids, but I think she thought she had to spend money to make them happy.

5. In chapter 5 we learn that Kate’s goldfish needs surgery in order to stay alive. At $1500.00 for the surgery, but also a recently dead guinea pig, what would you have done in this situation? I would have done the flush and replace with a similar fish.