What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > YA Wolves

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Turtle (new)

Turtle (demigod50) I would like a YA Fiction, Fantasy, or Dystopian series involving wolves as a key part of the plot. I don't care if it's werewolves or not, just something about wolves. I'm in a phase now. I finished Shiver and LOVED it. It's like my favorite book now. The romance in it was my ultimate MAX, so keep that in mind. I'm not generally a romance person... So.... THANKS!!!!

-Turtle

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 2295 comments Mod
Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey is a good fantasy that plays around with the themes and archetypes of old tales. Lackey is a good story teller.

Through Wolf's Eyes by Jane Lindskold is another tale by a good story teller. It's the first in a series.

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken is more of a children's book, but is one of my favorites growing up. The wolves are only peripherally involved, however.

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat is nonfiction, memoir about a man who researches wolves by going out and living near them. Intense at times.

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs is another book -- fantasy, with werewolves, although the main character shapeshifts as a coyote. It's also the first in a series.

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
is the first book in a series called Women of the Otherworld. Bitten does have Elena, a rare woman werewolf, as the main character. Other characters are the focus in other books in the series, although Elena does appear in many of them.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments I have to say that whereas I love Moon Called by Patricia Briggs, I do not consider it a young adult book. Especially later books in the series. Of course, I am not an expert in what makes a book YA or not. I myself would classify it at Adult (but not erotica).

message 4: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 55 comments The Nightshade trilogy Nightshade is great. And a bit like Shiver, but with the girl being the wolf and a boy meeting her.

message 5: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 76 comments Michelle wrote: "I have to say that whereas I love Moon Called by Patricia Briggs, I do not consider it a young adult book. Especially later books in the series. Of course, I am not an expert in what makes a book Y..."

I agree. Same thing with Bitten. They are adult books with adult content so if you're looking for YA specifically they probably aren't what you're after.

Kelley Armstrong's YA Darkest Powers trilogy (starting with The Summoning) has werewolves, although the wolf is more love interest than main character.

Blood and Chocolate is a great YA werewolf but the romance is not even close to Shiver.

I've also heard good things about Raised by Wolves, although I've not read it yet myself.

message 6: by Turtle (new)

Turtle (demigod50) I looking for strictly YA. No sex if possible. I'm not really a romance type of gal.

message 7: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle | 13 comments Wild Magic, Wilderness Champion, White Fang, The Call of the Wild - these are not werewolf stories, but you might enjoy them if you're on a wolf kick. A little different (not wolves, but collies, anything by Albert Payson Terhune: I'd start with Gray Dawn or Wolf - they're both fantastic).

message 8: by Nairabell (last edited Aug 30, 2012 11:41AM) (new)

Nairabell | 76 comments Turtle wrote: "I looking for strictly YA. No sex if possible. I'm not really a romance type of gal."

In which case, definitely not Bitten and I think Moon Called may have sex in as well. Blood and Chocolate has an almost sex scene but I wouldn't really class it as a romance as the ending is more girl power than happily ever after.

ETA: B&C is definitely YA. For an idea of the romance level, maybe check out the movie trailer - they changed loads and hyped the romance so the book is a lot less.

message 9: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 139 comments The Sight and Fell by David Clement-Davies are about wolves and are YA :)

message 10: by Turtle (new)

Turtle (demigod50) Thanks so much everyone! Every time I post a request for books I get so many good answers!

message 11: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2030 comments Mod
You may also want to check out Claire de Lune and The Dark Divine

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 2295 comments Mod
Nadine wrote: "The Nightshade trilogy Nightshade is great. And a bit like Shiver, but with the girl being the wolf and a boy meeting her."

You're both right -- Moon Called and Bitten are more aimed at adult audiences.

message 14: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments Though not written as YA specifically, I do think that Lonely Werewolf Girl would fall within the parameters you're seeking. There's a sequel, but I've not yet read it.

message 15: by Lilac (last edited Sep 01, 2012 05:57AM) (new)

Lilac  | 13 comments Did you read Linger and Forever too? They are the sequels to Shiver and if you haven't read them then you really should :)

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 149 comments Funny, I just saw the first sentence and I was going to recommend Shiver. :)

Check out Into the Woods. It's a retelling combo of Pied Piper and Red Riding Hood and has little to no romance.

message 17: by Turtle (new)

Turtle (demigod50) Thanks peoples! And I am currently reading Linger.