The Dark Mythology discussion

Wives tales and nonsense > Grandma says............

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) thats an interesting one..

message 2: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
lol!

Cut the ends off of the ham. They are poisonous.

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah (Ling_Ling) If you don't hold your breath as you pass a cemetery you will die or become possessed

AND

If a wild bird flies into the house and dies someone in the house is going to die soon..

message 4: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Dont read while you eat...Its bad for the stomach.

message 5: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) wait half an hour after eating before swimming or you will throw up.

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments That's just mean to the poor dog!

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 8 comments put vinegar on a sunburn

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments If you are hiking in a forest and you get lost, cannot find your way out, that means one of the Unseen Folks is having fun with you. Solution - take off your shirt and reverse it, front to back, and your sense of direction will return.

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 8 comments Hey Rob - your Grandma Irish?

message 10: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments Jerrod wrote: "wait half an hour after eating before swimming or you will throw up."
Jerrod, you mean this isn't true. I've been following this for as long as I can remember! lol.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments Red sky at night, shepherd's delight
Red sky in the morning, sailor's warning.

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) Actually, the red sky thing is true. A red sky usually means clouds (possible bad weather). Red sky at night (east) mens the clouds are past. Red sky in the morning (west), means the clouds are heading in your direction.
Sorry, I'm a weather geek. Use to do forecasts and such. Kind of miss it...Thanks Alan!

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments Sweet. I knew it had some truth to it, from experience, but didn't know why till now. Makes perfect sense.

Hang on though... why do eastern clouds always mean they're past? Doesn't it depend on the wind direction?

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments Another one - my dear old Great Aunt Dolly (one of sex sisters and a brother, bless 'em all) always used to have a fit about putting shoes on the table. Terrible bad luck, apparently.

Also, never have a knife pointing towards you and if you drop a spoon, a stranger will come to call.

She had thousands of them!

message 15: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments My goodness - that should be one of SIX sisters and a brother, bless 'em all.

I don't want to spread debauched rumours about my dear old aunts!

message 16: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments The E is nowhere near the I on a keyboard...

Calling Dr Freud!

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) I think it's generally because the weather moves west to east. But, it's not always going to work. Kind of depends on where you are and what is going on in the atmosphere. I use to know all of that stuff in detail. If you don't use, you loose it:)

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) Actually, the weather might have to do with where you live:)

And I would definitely recommend your Aunt's knife saying! I learned such things long ago, being a clutz.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) How about having to stop clocks in a room someone died in and covering all the mirrors in a house after a death.

message 20: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 115 comments Mod
Never heard of the clock one, but it sounds interesting. I'd like to know more about that one.
I have heard of the mirror one, although with various reasons. The main one being that the soul of the departed can become trapped in the mirror and be bound to it forever.

message 21: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Alan said "The E is nowhere near the I on a keyboard...

Calling Dr Freud!"

The I is pressed with the same finger as the E on the oposite hand. I make those kind of mistakes all the time. Its like typing dyslexia.

message 22: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
One of my favorites. Never let a cat sleep with a baby. It will suck out the baby's breath/soul.

Its probably not a good idea to let cats sleep with babies anyway.

message 23: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments More like smothering. I like the typing dyslexia theory too.

:)

message 24: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
If a girl serves a man a drink with her nail clipings in it, then the man will marry her.

message 25: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Which is about as ridiculous as...
If a man sits on his roof by the chimney for seven hours then his next born child will be male.

message 26: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
And yes, the cat thing was made up in fear of the cat smothering the baby.

message 27: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) My great aunt Judy is very superstitious- don't open umbrellas indoors, ladders, black cats, new shoes on the table.

I think superstitions started out as just common sense. But some just make no sense. Why can't you put new shoes on the table? NEW shoes!

message 28: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments Superstitions by Peter Lorie

I just go this 2nd hand at the local markets last weekend.

Fascinating stuff!

message 29: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) That's awesome!
Does it say anything about new shoes on the table?

message 30: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments I had a look but couldn't find that one. I'll let you know when I get a chance for a more indepth read!

message 31: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Hi spooky, where you been?

message 32: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) Busy!
The fires down here are stressing people out.

message 33: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) That's cool, Alan! You should definitely share some superstitions with us!

message 34: by Brett (new)

Hey Spooky! I don't blame anyone for stressing about the fires. It's bad enough when nature starts them, but when the freaks start throwing matches, it's time to get the guns out, catch them and stake them out right in front of their fire.

I hope you aren't affected, nor any of yours.

message 35: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments Hi guys - we're a long way from the fires, thanks for the concerns. I agree about the arson dickheads. They should be charged with murder.

message 36: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (Spooky_Sez) If they release any names there'll be a public lynching. I'd be on on that.

message 37: by Brett (new)

Where ever did you find that one VJ? That has to be the funniest one yet!

message 38: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) Now I know that is BS, I don't sing at all, and I still married a crazy person.

message 39: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) there is more truth in that than you can know.

message 40: by Brett (new)

Yeah, don't even go there. What was that movie with Glen Close? I had me one of those a long time ago. Actually had to leave the state. When I ran in to her 20 years later, she took up where she left off. I haven't been back to my home town since.

message 41: by Brett (last edited Mar 02, 2009 03:58PM) (new)

Yup, poor ole me.
To be honest, I don't want to go back anyway. (My grandma died a few years back.) I've had it with small towns and this one is tiny! (Eureka, MT)
Beautiful countryside, the most beautiful anywhere in fact, but that's it.
A fun place to grow up but you can forget about supporting yourself there.
Besides, you know the old saw about how everyone knows your business in a small town? It is so very true. They don't have anything to do once the tourists leave but gossip. Ick.

message 42: by Jerrod (last edited Mar 03, 2009 02:49PM) (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) Hey, small towns rock, and when the Zombie Apocalypse arrives, you are going to wish you were in a small town.

It is harder to find good paying work, but honestly, I think the quality of life is far better than in a big city.

EDIT: I grew up in Superior, MT population of less than 1000, but after a few years, we did move to the 'city' of Helena, pop 80K.

message 43: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
yeah, small towns do rock!
the two years i lived in a city as a kid were the most useless years of my life, in which i learned nothing in education nor in common sense.

I have grown to loath big cities. they are fun to visit, with big stores and theme parks and all, but the best view of a city is the same best view of Las Vegas, the rear view mirror.

My home town of Moccasin AZ is a small little spot of land in the middle of a Piute rez, so it cant get any bigger, and I think it had about 500 people. maybe less.

message 44: by Brett (new)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live in a small town or the middle of nowhere if I was rich enough. Come into the cities once in a while for book runs and such. You can get most anything you ever need online anymore, so it would be pretty cool if possible. Why do you think all those famous people are buying up land in Montana and such?

Eureka had about 1,000 people in it when I grew too. I've lived in most every spot in Montana you can. We were coast to coast twice before I was 13. Stepdad was in heavy construction which is about the same as the military for moving around.

I have a ton of good memories of Eureka and there abouts.

message 45: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) I feel yeah Brett, I modified my career in Electronics to veer toward Healthcare so that I could live where I wanted. So burnt out on big cities and their overly busy, self absorbed lifestyles.

message 46: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Unfortunatly Brett, it is true what you said about small town gosip. its revolting. because everybody knows everybody they feel that gives them free reign to talk about whoever and whatever they want.

message 47: by Brett (new)

No kidding! I think my aunts Ena and Cleo were the worst in Eureka! They knew what EVERYONE was doing!
Of course they had to broadcast it every time I got in trouble too. I mean, it wasn't my fault my car decided to park itself on the sidewalk in front of the Judges office that time. Really! -grin-

Reminds me, besides the above incident, I learned to drive in a small town and got extremely good at it. Nothing better than gravel roads to teach you how to control a car at high speed. I've been racing ever since. There is NOTHING like the rush of high speed and being on the edge of control! Talk about getting the pulse going!

message 48: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) or climbing a mountain with a 30+ degree incline! [yes in a vehicle.

message 49: by Brett (last edited Mar 14, 2009 10:30PM) (new)

Hey! I've done that too.
There was a hill climb by Sophie Lake that the trucks went up. After a few beers I said I could make it up in my car. Once said, I had to back it up and by God I did it! Shocked everyone, myself included.
Of course, getting down was quite interesting. -grin-

Oh yeah. I was driving a 1971 Ford Custom, 4-door sedan with a Boss 302 at the time. It was a super pale blue and looked like a cop car. I used to roust the parties by flying up with a flashing light on the dash like an undercover.
If I tried that these days I get shot by the partyers, the cops or both!

Man! That was a while back. I was a bit crazy in those days. I think that happened the summer of 1977 or 78.

I'm still crazy, but in a different way. -grin-

message 50: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) VJ, your grandma says some crazy shit. Sounds like a member of my family.

« previous 1