Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Problem with Checking Off Shelves When Reviewing

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 161 comments I'm finished with a book and click the link in the book's status update stating that. Conveniently, it brings up the Review page for me to write my review in directly. I rate and then proceed to add my various shelves to the review but...

when I click on a shelf, the checkmarks don't show up. I'm using a different computer right now but I think that even the shelves don't show up properly either - and I've got a lot of shelves. It makes it VERY inconvenient for me. I often end up doing two things: write review, save and then shelve from My Books or save review page with rating, re-open review page and finish with shelves and review.

I have the same problem with the checkmarks not showing up with this computer but the shelves not showing properly isn't a problem.

In both cases, I used Firefox.

message 2: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments I've had that happen before, and it was mentioned on another thread where another one or two people were experiencing it. I think William said he'd try to look into it, but really probably needed more info to do much.

message 3: by AH (new)

AH | 921 comments The checkmarks haven't worked for a while now. The items are checked off, it's just that the checkmarks don't show up. The shelves seem to show up for me.

message 4: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments You mean they haven't for you. That is a bug, not a site-wide change. It's working fine for most people, myself included, the vast majority of the time.

message 5: by rameau (new)

rameau | 139 comments I use chrome and I have the same problem, mostly when I go on my home page and click to update my status to finished. More rarely so if I go to edit the review through the book page or through my shelves.

Also, I use the type in quick search when adding shelves and that only works half the time. Usually these problems occur at the same time.

message 6: by Yossarian (last edited Aug 30, 2012 07:26AM) (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments Now that one I have not encountered, but I also rarely type in there.

ETA- Thinking about it, I think you're right, that when the checks not showing does happen it's normally from the "I'm finished" link.

message 7: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akaGunslinger) I think it's a java script error. It happens to me on IE 8 at work but not Firefox at home.

message 8: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments I use Fx, and it happens to me on random occasion. Like Rameau said, I think generally when it occurs, I've clicked the "finished" thing from the homepage current status area.

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 30, 2012 08:23AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have never had this problem. I do not use the "I'm finished" (don't ever use status updates). I am a Chrome Win7 user. (Posted just for trouble-shooting purposes.)

message 10: by Yossarian (last edited Sep 10, 2012 05:54AM) (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments I just finished a book and used the "I'm finished" link, you can see here:
GR tickmark bug
that the two shelves are listed there, but there's no ticks showing on the boxes. You can also see the homepage faded on the sides, so you know it's from that link. That definitely seems to be where it's coming from.

ETA- The text is rather difficult to make out, but since it's really the lack of ticks that's important, I'm guessing that doesn't matter but. But William, or anyone, if you want a clearer image I can upload it elsewhere.

message 11: by AH (new)

AH | 921 comments I get that too.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Maybe it's related to the I'm finished status. I access that page through the edit screen and have no trouble ticking the boxes and seeing they are ticked.

message 13: by AH (new)

AH | 921 comments It's been an ongoing problem in the I'm finished status for a while now.

message 14: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 161 comments rameau wrote: "Also, I use the type in quick search when adding shelves and that only works half the time. Usually these problems occur at the same time. "

I use the quick search ALL THE TIME. Now that I recall, that was my greatest aggravation with this problem.