Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Book Page Reorganization

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) I am extremely disappointed to begin seeing some of the book pages reorganized. This is apparently done to appease (?) GR authors. Some of us look for the same information in the same place each time we go to a book page. It means we can find what we're looking for.

So, GR authors, should you decide to reorganize your book pages, I will be less likely to read your books. If you reorganize the page, my first impression is negative. It's hard to overcome a first impression.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2221 comments can you give an example? i'm curious

Elizabeth (Alaska) Sure!

Gone Girl

The other editions has been moved. It's not where it "ought" to be.

message 4: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Yes, I find that off-putting, as well. I'd rather have things in consistent locations on the page.

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments If the author pays for the positioning of that box then the extra income would be worthwile. I could live with it. Still be nice to know in advance.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2221 comments That's not new - I've been seeing that box on and off for a year mostly with featured authors - thru chats etc

message 7: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments Yeah, do not like at all. There's already a space below for info on/link to the author. That new box is totally dull and just screams trying-too-hard come visit me!!! plus the dislocation of the Other Editions. Bad all-around.

message 8: by Moloch (new)

Moloch It's not new, I've seen it sometimes, but not really often

message 9: by Djrmel (last edited Aug 29, 2012 01:13PM) (new)

Djrmel | 304 comments Dee wrote: "That's not new - I've been seeing that box on and off for a year mostly with featured authors - thru chats etc"

I've also noticed that box on some of the books that are currently considered "hot" by the publishing industry. "Hot" means a marketing campaign, and that makes me think that piece of real estate might be available for rent on the book's page.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 568 comments Extra income for GR is good but I don't think the box is useful. It doesn't give any extra information on the book and you can get what's there on the author's page. Seems like a waste of money to me.

message 11: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 29, 2012 01:17PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments It's not so bad; but, I think it is pretty useless. There is more and better info on author's profile page. I would click to go to profile page before even thinking about clicking in the box. If I like an author, one of first things I like to do is check out what else they have written by viewing profile page.

Useless, but if gets goodreads the funds they need to upgrade so we don't see so many "over capacity" messages, I can live with it.

I am someone who likes to select the edition I own so I can recognise the book cover image so would rather keep the editions top right; but, I can adjust.

After they realize paid boxes are not getting clicked that much, may die a natural death or fizzle out.

message 12: by Moloch (new)

Moloch Moloch wrote: "It's not new, I've seen it sometimes, but not really often"

As I said, it's not new but that doesn't mean I like it :-)

message 13: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments Oh I can live with it, I just think it looks horrible and is a bad move. lol

message 14: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments I am pretty sure this is not the author doing any reorganizing. I see this on every book that has a current ad running on GR. I think that box is put there while the ad is running as a marketing tool. That is the only time I've seen it, and I've seen it EVERY time I look up a book that I see on an ad on GR.

message 15: by Iben (new)

Iben  (trolderolle) | 9 comments Given that 'other editions' has just moved down a notch (and not like, been hidden in outer space or anywhere that even requires you to scroll) and the "new" box is fairly discreet (and IMO pointless) it's easily ignorable.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm not at all sure this is revenue for GR. See:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 568 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I'm not at all sure this is revenue for GR. See:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9..."

The ad is no longer featured at the link in Patrick's post but I remembered seeing it there when he posted it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I don't really mind about ads. I mind about moving the placement of data that is relied upon. I use the Other Editions link nearly every time I go to the book page. It's annoying as h*** to have to go looking for it.

message 19: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 813 comments This is part of revenue for GR. From what I gather, it works like this:

An author can run an ad campaign for a book. These ads show up in the tan box on the right hand side of a book page. Under "Books by [Author]" and above "Share This Book." To work with the example given, Gillian Flynn has paid for an ad campaign for Gone Girl.

This gives her the option to add the "learn more about the author" box to the book's page. This is only available to the book for which the campaign is targeted. You can see that none of Gillian Flynn's other books have this box.

The box only stays for as long as the campaign is running. So if an author only pays for one month of advertising, it will only be there that long. It also removes other author's advertisements from your book page.

I think that the influx of members recently and the coverage Goodreads has been getting on the web is bringing more authors who are more willing to pay for campaigns since they've seen the popularity of Goodreads in action.

As far as my opinion on it goes...

I absolutely don't mind ads on Goodreads, especially since we don't have to pay to use it. But I do agree with Elizabeth that the placement is poor. I've been using the other editions link for so long it's programmed into my brain.

I think the box is different enough from the rest of the page that it would still be noticed under the Other Editions box. I don't care so much about pushing the Genre box down a bit since it changes based on the book you're looking at, but the Other Editions page is something that is used a lot and should (IMO) be uniform across the board.

message 20: by Patrícia (new)

Patrícia (slayra) | 102 comments Vicky wrote: I think the box is different enough from the rest of the page that it would still be noticed under the Other Editions box. I don't care so much about pushing the Genre box down a bit since it changes based on the book you're looking at, but the Other Editions page is something that is used a lot and should (IMO) be uniform across the board.

I agree with this. The box is poorly placed. The Other Editions page is really important for users. I have a lot of foreign editions and being able to see the entire list by clicking the Other Editions is a big help with finding the right one.

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 332 comments I understand your point, motor memory is hard to break. But goodreads is free and they need to get the revenue from somewhere. At least it's more relevant that the giant add for Adobe Lightroom that's on one of my book pages right now, or many of the other ads that turn up. It isn't a very attractively done feature, but it gets the poor across for the author. And when you're paying for advertising you don't want it to be the second or third item down on the page, you want it to be the first thing to catch people's eyes, I'm sure that's why they put it in the top corner. The other editions is right below so I don't have a problem with it.

message 22: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments Count me as one who thinks the Other Editions location should be static and never move.