Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Reading Challenges > Quarterly Challenge #7 (Sept 2012-Nov 2012)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 107) (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Aug 29, 2012 12:13PM) (new)

Angie | 2686 comments Mod
Welcome to the YA Book Club's seventh annual Reading Challenge

Rules

Duration: September 2012-November 2012
We are a YA Book Club so all books should be young adult

1. In honor of banned book week which will be held this year from Sept 30th-Oct 6th, read a book that was banned or challenged. Find a list of challenged books here.

2. Read a book that is released in Sept, Oct, or Nov of this year. Here are some for September,October,and November.

3. Read a young adult themed book from the 1980s (hope this one isn't too hard to find). You can find some examples here on goodreads.

4. Read a book that is the farthest down on your TBR pile that you keep putting off (you can find this by looking at your book list on goodreads and arranging it by date added).

Thanks to Emily for the following challenges!
5. Halloween (my favorite time of year!!)- read a book with a supernatural MC.

6.Columbus Day - Seeing as this day is a celebration for "discovering" the "new world", read a book that is set in an alternate world/universe.

7. October 11 is National Coming Out Day - so read a book with a gay/lesbian/bi character. You can find examples here.

8. Nanowrimo - National Novel Writing Month is about quantity rather than quality so read a book with over 500 pages.

9. Labor Day - read a book with a (mostly) white cover (before it's too late). Here are some ideas for white book covers. You will have to find the YA books though.

10. International Men's Day (Nov 19) - read a book with a male protagonist (unless this has already been done).

Everything should be done on this thread - your questions, your plans, your progress.

Please forgive me if any of these challenges have already been done in our group. I am new to set up the challenges, that was always what Tatiana had done and now I am in charge!! Thanks to Emily for most of the ideas above!!!

Happy reading!

message 2: by Hulou (new)

Hulou | 10 comments Okat I know all the books I am going to read except for #7 anyone have any suggestions?

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary H (knoxdiver) | 85 comments Hailey wrote: "Okat I know all the books I am going to read except for #7 anyone have any suggestions?"

David Levithan uses a lot of LGBT characters in his novels. Try Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices also have gay main characters.

message 4: by Hulou (new)

Hulou | 10 comments Mary wrote: "Hailey wrote: "Okat I know all the books I am going to read except for #7 anyone have any suggestions?"

David Levithan uses a lot of LGBT characters in his novels. Try Nick & Norah's Infinite Play..."

Thanks!

message 5: by Mary (last edited Dec 01, 2012 10:43AM) (new)

Mary H (knoxdiver) | 85 comments Completed: 10/10 only one day late

1. Banned Book: Looking for Alaska by John Green 9/20/12
2. New Release: Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin 12/1/12
3. 1980's YA: Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You by Barthe DeClements 8/4/12
4. Old TBR: Airhead by Meg Cabot 10/1/12
5. Halloween/supernatural: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater 10/3/12
6. Columbus Day/new world: Princess Academy by Shannon Hale 10/9/12
7. Coming Out: Ash by Malinda Lo 11/1/12
8. NaNoWriMo/500+: Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 10/25/12
9. Labor Day/white: All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin 8/5/12
10. Men's Day/male protag: Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon 10/20/12

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I added a few more links above thanks to Mary to help everyone find a book!!

message 7: by Trisha (last edited Sep 09, 2012 12:58AM) (new)

Trisha Okay, this is my first attempt at this challenge so fingers crossed I can get it done.

10/10 *~* Completed 09/09

1. Banned book: Call of the Wild by Jack London 09/07
2. Sept 2012 Publication: Third Grade Angels by Jery Spinelli ** 09/01
3. 80's: The Face on the Milk Carton by Carline B. Cooney 09/08
4. TBR pile: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini 09/09
5. Halloween: The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury 09/03
6: Columbus Day: Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor 09/03
7. Coming out: Breathing Underwater by Lu Vickers 09/01
8. NaNoWriMo: Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder *** 9/04
9. Labor Day: Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini 09/06
10. Male protagonist: Fat Kid Rules the World by K. L. Going 09/07

** I'm hoping a children's book for my September release is okay (rules didn't specify YA vs Children's book so I thought I might be okay.... Please let me know if I need to change it!!!)

*** Goodreads seems to have a conflict on page numbers for this book. My copy has 518 pages.
Finished:
Third Grade Angels by Jerry Spinelli Breathing Underwater by Lu Vickers Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury Sophie's World A Novel about the History of Philosophy  by Jostein Gaarder Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini The Call of the Wild by Jack London Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1) by Caroline B. Cooney The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

message 8: by Jennika (last edited Nov 19, 2012 06:11AM) (new)

Jennika (layalireads) | 93 comments Woohoo! I love these. :)
Completed: 10/10 on 11/18/12

1. Banned: The Perks of Being a Wallflower 09/10; 4 stars
2. New Release: Rebel Heart 11/04; 5 stars
3. 80's: The Giver 09/23; 4 stars
4. TBR: The Selection 09/02; 2 stars
5. Halloween: Anna Dressed in Blood 10/28; 5 stars
6. Columbus Day: Fire 09/09; 5 stars
7. Coming Out: Pretty Little Liars 10/21; 5 stars
8. Nanowrimo: Bitterblue 11/18; 4 stars
9. Labor Day: Never Enough 09/24; 5 stars
10. Male Protagonist: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl 10/14; 5 stars

The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) by Kristin Cashore The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry Never Enough by Denise Jaden Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars #1) by Sara Shepard Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2) by Moira Young Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore

message 9: by Brittany (last edited Sep 26, 2012 03:24PM) (new)

Brittany (itsbrb) Completed: 1/10

1. Banned: A Time To Kill
2. New Release: Out of Reach
3. 80's: The Giver
4. TBR: Wonder
5. Halloween: Anna Dressed in Blood (finished September 7, 3 stars)
6. Columbus Day: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (currently reading)
7. Coming out: Boy Meets Boy
8. Nanowrimo: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
9. Labor Day: 1984
10. Male Protagonist: What I Didn't Say

I have been pretty slack on this one. I was reading a Stephen King book when I started this challenge and just now finished so now I can start for real!

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Trisha wrote: "Okay, this is my first attempt at this challenge so fingers crossed I can get it done.

0/10

1. Banned book: Call of the Wild by Jack London
2. Sept 2012 Publication: Third Grade Angels by Jery ..."

I think using a children's book will be fine!

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Everyone has some really good lists so far!!!!

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Brittany wrote: "Excited for the new challenge!
Completed: 0/10

5. Halloween: Anna Dressed in Blood
6. Columbus Day: Daughte..."

I know 1984 does not have teen protagonists but I do know it is required reading sometimes in high school so I would say read it. And The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a Disney movie right? ;) hahah! Go ahead and read it if you have been wanting to!

message 14: by Gisbelle (last edited Aug 31, 2012 10:24PM) (new)

Gisbelle Duration: September 2012-November 2012

1. Banned Book: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
2. New Released (September 2012): Cursed
3. 1980s YA (1993): Don't Die, My Love
4. TBR (2nd): Going Too Far
5. Halloween: The Shining
6. Columbus Day: A Million Suns
7. National Coming Out Day (M/M): Caregiver
8. National Novel Writing Month: Eclipse
9. Labor Day: See You at Harry's
10. International Men's Day: The False Prince

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDaniel Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols The Shining by Stephen King A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2) by Beth Revis Caregiver by Rick R. Reed Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen

message 15: by Jinjin (last edited Aug 30, 2012 11:39AM) (new)

Jinjin Tang I'm so excited for my first challenge(:

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
2. What's Left of Me
3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
4. Thirteen Reasons Why !!!
5. Finale comes out right around Haloween too (:
6. The Scorch Trials
7. Will Grayson, Will Grayson
8. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn
9. 1984
10. The Magician

message 16: by oliviasbooks (last edited Aug 30, 2012 02:03AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments Angie, that 80s list contains only books from serieses. This one has stand-alones as well: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/16...

message 17: by oliviasbooks (last edited Dec 03, 2012 04:07AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments Reading Process: 10/10

1. Banned Book Week: Vegan, Virgin, Valentine (list 2010/11, re-read) 09/23
2. September, October, November: Monstrous Beauty 09/13
3. 1980s Young Adult: Dear Comrade (re-read) 09/03
4. Almost Farthest Down my TBR Pile: Freedom Beyond the Sea
5. Paranormal MC: The Raven Boys 10/06
6. Alternate World: Days of Blood & Starlight 11/23
7. Gay/Lesbian/Bi Character: Beauty Queens 10/12
8. Over 500 Pages: Bitterblue 09/28
9. Mostly White Cover: Putting Makeup on Dead People (re-read, 11/30)
10. Male Protagonist: Rot and Ruin 10/03

Vegan, Virgin, Valentine by Carolyn Mackler Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama Dear Comrade by Frances Thomas Freedom Beyond the Sea by Waldtraut Lewin The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore Putting Makeup on Dead People by Jen Violi Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura #1) by Jonathan Maberry

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (itsbrb) Angie wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Excited for the new challenge!

5. Halloween: Anna Dressed in Blood
6. Colu..."

Yes!! It is a Disney movie! I have heard some good things about the book and haven't seen the movie in AGES so I was really curious about it. Hopefully it's good!

message 19: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

oliviasbooks wrote: "Angie, that 80s list contains only books from serieses. This one has stand-alones as well: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/16..."

Oh thank you for posting!!

message 20: by Hulou (new)

Hulou | 10 comments 1. Banned/challenged (My sister’s keeper)
2. New Release (Hidden)
3. 80's (Are you there god it’s me Margret)
4. TBR (Wicked lovely)
5. Halloween (Bad Girls don’t cry)
6. Columbus Day (Glow)
7.Coming out (city of lost souls)
8. Nanowrimo (City of fallen angels)
9. Labor Day (Shatter Me)
10. Malw Protagonist (Lightening Thief)

message 21: by Simcsa (last edited Nov 29, 2012 01:22AM) (new)

Simcsa | 14 comments 1.Twenty Boy Summer 2 stars
2.Time Between Us 3 stars
3.Weekend 2 stars
4.Forbidden 5 stars
5.Supernaturally 3 stars
6.Obsidian 3 stars
7.The Perks of Being a Wallflower 4 stars
8.Eldest 4 stars
9.Never Enough 3.5 stars
10.Brisingr 3 stars

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone Weekend by Christopher Pike Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2) by Kiersten White Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2) by Christopher Paolini Never Enough by Denise Jaden Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3) by Christopher Paolini

message 22: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments ;-) Well, the intention is there, Simcsa. I just got notified about your comment and return to the thread eager to learn what you've chosen ...

message 23: by Simcsa (new)

Simcsa | 14 comments :D I'm just reserving my spot. I'm not yet sure what I will choose. :)

message 24: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments Your spot? *giggles*

message 25: by Simcsa (new)

Simcsa | 14 comments Is it ok to reread books as a part of the challenge?

message 26: by Simcsa (new)

Simcsa | 14 comments oliviasbooks wrote: "Your spot? *giggles*"

hey :D

message 27: by oliviasbooks (last edited Aug 31, 2012 03:31AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments I did - re-read two books - the last time. I don't know the policy, but we are reading for ourselves anyway, don't we? I, for my part, am contemplating to cheat a little on number 7, because I've wanted a reason to purchase the adult romance Almost Like Being in Love about two baseball players for a long time and would have to buy the other one, which I want considerably less, instead to fulfil the YA only rule.

message 28: by Simcsa (new)

Simcsa | 14 comments Hm.. that's true. And it's still a challenge, because I wouldn't re-read the books (at least not so soon) if it wasn't for the challenge. I think it's all right to cheat a little, if you can still consider it a challenge. Go ahead, I won't tell. ;)

message 29: by Shelley (last edited Nov 25, 2012 03:08AM) (new)

Shelley My second challenge - YAY! :D
9/10

1. Banned Book: Jumper
2. New Release: What's Left of Me - 5 stars - 6/10/12
3. 80's: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 3 stars - 14/11/12
4. TBR: Evernight - 4 stars - 8/9/12
5. Halloween: Mercy - 4 stars - 4/9/12
6. Columbus Day: Seraphina - 4 stars - 18/9/12
7. National Coming Out Day: City of Bones - 5 stars - 25/11/12
8. National Novel Writing Month: Dead Beautiful - 3 stars - 4/10/12
9. Labor Day: Vanish - 5 stars - 21/9/12
10. International Men's Day: Arrival - 3 stars- 26/9/12

Jumper (Jumper, #1) by Steven Gould What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1) by Kat Zhang The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray Mercy (Mercy, #1) by Rebecca Lim Seraphina by Rachel Hartman City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Vanish (Firelight, #2) by Sophie Jordan Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1) by Yvonne Woon Arrival (The Phoenix Files, #1) by Chris Morphew

message 30: by Andra (last edited Oct 27, 2012 06:25PM) (new)

Andra (apliwag) | 12 comments Sounds great, I'm in =) Here are my picks so far:

1. Banned/challenged: Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar AND Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
2. New Release: Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama AND The Raven Boys by Maggie Steifvater
3. 80's: Matilda by Roald Dahl (re-read) AND The Witches by Roald Dahl (re-read)
4. TBR: Tithe by Holly Black AND The Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda
5. Halloween: Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake AND Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins
6. Columbus Day: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo AND Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr
7. Coming out: Hana by Lauren Oliver AND Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
8. Nanowrimo: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan AND The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
9. Labor Day: Starters by Lissa Price AND Matched by Ally Condie
10. Male protagonist: Black Heart by Holly Black AND The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

20/20 complete

Hana (Delirium, #1.5) by Lauren Oliver The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3) by Holly Black Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2) by Kendare Blake Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Gossip Girl (Gossip Girl, #1) by Cecily von Ziegesar Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins Starters (Starters and Enders, #1) by Lissa Price Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr The Witches by Roald Dahl The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Matilda by Roald Dahl Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black The Devil's Kiss (Devil's Kiss, #1) by Sarwat Chadda

message 31: by Kim (last edited Nov 02, 2012 04:22PM) (new)

Kim (kadykayf) Here's my list:

10/10 complete as of 11/2/12

1. Banned/challenged: To Kill a Mockingbird Finished 10/8 - 5 stars (so glad I re-read this book!)
2. New Release: The Diviners Finished 11/2 - 4 stars
3. 1980's: Ender's Game Finished 10/23 - 3 stars
4. TBR: The Mysterious Benedict Society Finished 10/16 - 3 stars
5. Supernatural main character: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer Finished 9/26 - 3 stars
6. Alternate world: Seraphina Finished 9/7 - 3 stars
7. Gay/Lesbian/Bi Character: Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List Finished 9/9 - 3 stars
8. Over 500 pages: Grave Mercy Finished 10/15 - 3 stars
9. White cover: Burned Finished 9/10 - (a very generous) 2 stars
10. Male protagonist: Ichiro Finished 9/14 - 3 stars

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1) by Trenton Lee Stewart Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1) by Lish McBride Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by David Levithan Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers Burned (Burned, #1) by Ellen Hopkins Ichiro by Ryan Inzana

message 32: by Justine (last edited Sep 09, 2012 02:01AM) (new)

Justine (JustineN) Here's my list so far
3/10

1). Banned/ challenged: The Oerks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky DONE September 9th/12
2). New release:
3). 1980's
4). TBR: The Morganville Vampires volume 1- Rachel Caine DONE September 5th/12
5). Supernatural MC:
6). Alternate World:
7). Gay/ lesbian/ Bi character: Beauty Queens- Libba Bray DONE September 6th/12
8). Over 500 pages:
9). White cover:
10). Male protagonist:
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1 (The Morganville Vampires, #1-2) by Rachel Caine The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

message 33: by Daisy (last edited Oct 09, 2012 05:21AM) (new)

Daisy | 6 comments This is the first challenge of this kind that I have ever taken. I'm not sure if I'm up for it, but I'll do my best :)

Completed: 1/10
1. Banned: ​The Great Gatsby
2. New Release: Crewel
​4. TBR: Ashfall
5. Halloween/supernatural Clockwork Angel
6. Different world: Graceling
7. Coming Out: Luna
8. 500 pages: The Book Thief
9. White Cover: Stitch
10. Male Protagonist: The Good Father

eight of these books have been on my to-read shelf for a while. Hopefully this challenge will help me "make space" for some new books :)

Realistically though, if I read 5 of them I will have achieved my goal. if I have time to read more, i'll be ecstatic :)

message 34: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 6 comments Question: how do you add a picture of a book cover to your post?

message 35: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Oct 14, 2012 02:35PM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 17 comments 5/10

1. Banned Book - 1984
2. October Release (2011) - Smokeless Fire
3. 1980's YA - Ender's Game
4. Old TBR - Switched
5. Halloween/supernatural - Slumber
6. Columbus Day/new world - Angelfall
7. Coming Out - Scorched Skies
8. NaNoWriMo/500+ - The Lost Hero
9. Labor Day/white - Animal Farm
10. Men's Day/male protag - Looking for Alaska

TBR:
1984 by George Orwell Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan Animal Farm by George Orwell

Finished:
Looking for Alaska by John Green Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Slumber (The Fade, #1) by Samantha Young Smokeless Fire (Fire Spirits, #1) by Samantha Young Scorched Skies (Fire Spirits #2) by Samantha Young

message 36: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Daisy, when you are in the "add book/author" below where you are typing in the book is a choice of Link or Cover.

message 37: by Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) (last edited Nov 25, 2012 08:49PM) (new)

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) | 58 comments Very Excited!! Love the 80's idea!

My List:
1. Banned Book- What My Mother Doesn't Know By Sonya Sones or Lush By Natasha Friend
2. New Release- Burn for Burn By Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian- Done
3. 80's YA-
4. Oldest TBR- The Chosen One By: Carol Lynch Williams- Reading Now
5. Supernatural MC- Earth By: Shauna Granger- Done
6. Alternate World-
7. Lesbian/Gay/Bi Character-
8. White Cover- Gimme a Call By: Sarah Mlynowski -Done
9. Over 500 Pages-
10. Male Protag-

This challenge is a hard one!! But I like it!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's my Quarterly Challenge #7!:

1) Banned: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
2) New Release: Finaleby Becca Fitzpatrick
3) 1980s: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
4) TBR: The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong
5) Halloween: Every Day by David Levithan (I hope this counts)
6) Alternate Universe: Matched by Ally Condie
7) Gay/Lesbian/Bi: What They Always Tell Us by Martin Wilson
8) 500 Pages: Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
9) White Cover: Possession by Elana Johnson
10) Male POV: Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse by Lucas Klauss

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, Finale (Hush, Hush, #4) by Becca Fitzpatrick, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling, The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong, Every Day by David Levithan, Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie, What They Always Tell Us by Martin Wilson, Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead, Possession (Possession, #1) by Elana Johnson, Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse by Lucas Klauss

message 39: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 6 comments Deborah wrote: "Daisy, when you are in the "add book/author" below where you are typing in the book is a choice of Link or Cover."

Thank you :) I'll know for next time.

message 40: by Boyanna (last edited Mar 12, 2013 04:29AM) (new)

Boyanna | 29 comments im in!

1. Banned: Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal Snogging
2. September: Necromancing the Stone
3. Old YA: Ella Enchanted
4. Longest TBR: The Knife of Never Letting Go
5. Supernatural MC: The Mark of Athena
6. Alternate World: The Crown of Embers
7. GLBT: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
8. 500+ Pages: The Ask and the Answer
9. White Cover: Article 5
10. Male POV: Monument 14

Finished 27.10.2012

Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1) by Emmy Laybourne Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) by Louise Rennison Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2) by Lish McBride The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) by Rae Carson Article 5 (Article 5, #1) by Kristen Simmons The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan

message 41: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink | 5 comments I guess I am confused here. I am looking at people's lists trying to get ideas, but The Shining? The Kite Runner? I never would have put those in the YA category. What am I missing? Help!

message 42: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Many of my books for this and for the A - Z challenge, I got from The Ultimate Teen Book Guide because I am also a part of that group and trying to read through all the books there.

It lists The Kite Runner as an age appropriate teen book.

I'm new here, is there a "teen book" test I didn't check? The Ultimate Teen Book Guide by Daniel Hahn

message 43: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink | 5 comments Thanks, Trisha! That sounds like a great resource! I might go ahead and use The Kite Runner then!

message 44: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink | 5 comments Okay! I am in. This list is the plan anyway!

0/10

1. Banned Book: Unwind
2. New Release: The Divinersdue out 9/18
3. 1980's YA: Stranger with My Face
4. Old TBR: The Summoning
5. Halloween/supernatural: Anna Dressed in Blood
6. Columbus Day/new world: City of Bones
7. Coming Out: Rainbow Boys
8. NaNoWriMo/500+: Beautiful Creatures
9. Labor Day/white: Sabriel (there is one copy with a white cover--a newer one I guess.
10. Men's Day/male protag: Flesh & Bone Also out in september! yay!

message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink | 5 comments Trish: Thanks for your post! It cleared some things up for me! At any rate, it looks like I found a list! yay!

message 46: by Sarah (last edited Nov 13, 2012 07:51AM) (new)

Sarah | 6 comments 1. Banned: The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins 2/9/12
2. New Release:The Lies That Bind - Lisa Roecker 13/11/12
3. 80s:The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky 1991, but that's the closest I'll get! 5/11/12
4. TBR: Linger - Maggie Stiefvater
5. Supernatural MC - The Mark - Jen Nadol 4/9/12
6. New World: A Million Suns - Beth Revis 29/10/12
7. GLB:Pretty Little Liars - Sara Shepherd 5/10/12
8. 500 pgs:Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl 1/11/12
9. White Cover: Spark - Amy Kathleen Ryan 10/9/12
10. Male Protagonist: Dead to You - Lisa McMann 11/9/12

Progress: 9/10

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Mark (The Mark, #1) by Jen Nadol Spark (Sky Chasers, #2) by Amy Kathleen Ryan Dead to You by Lisa McMann Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard A Million Suns by Beth Revis Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Lies That Bind (The Liar Society, #2) by Lisa Roecker

message 47: by Trista (last edited Nov 08, 2012 07:45AM) (new)

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 35 comments Completed: 10/10

1. Banned Book: Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
2. New Release: Origin by Jessica Khoury (Sept 4th)
3. 1980's YA: Perfect Summer by Francine Pascal
4. Old TBR: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
5. Halloween/supernatural: Frostbite by Richelle Mead
6. New world: Defiance by CJ Redwine
7. Coming Out: Bait by Alex Sanchez
8. 500+ pages: New Moon - Stephanie Meyer
9. White cover: Crash by Nicole Williams
10. Men's Day/male protag: Spark - Brigid Kemmerer

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, Origin by Jessica Khoury, Perfect Summer (Sweet Valley High Super Edition, #1) by Francine Pascal, Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi, Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead, Defiance (Defiance, #1) by C.J. Redwine, Bait by Alex Sanchez, New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer, Crash (Crash, #1) by Nicole Williams, Spark (Elemental, #2) by Brigid Kemmerer

message 48: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Valerie the bookworm wrote: "Trish: Thanks for your post! It cleared some things up for me! At any rate, it looks like I found a list! yay!"

Yay! I'm glad it helped Valerie! I know I'm lost on what is YA and what's not (I've read some seriously rough YA stuff). There is no way I could figure it out on my own ;)

message 49: by Jenna (last edited Nov 08, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

Jenna (vailfiregirl) Progress: 3/10

1. Banned Book: The Catcher in the Rye
2. New Release: TBD
3. 1980s: The Giver
4. TBR: Little Brother
5. Supernatural MC: Rebel Angels
6. New World: Glow
7. GLB: Pizza, Love, and Other Stuff That Made Me Famous
8. 500 pages: Quintana of Charyn
9. White Cover: TBD
10. Male Protagonist: The Disenchantments

Order Read:
Pizza, Love, and Other Stuff That Made Me Famous by Kathryn Williams Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) by Melina Marchetta The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

message 50: by Shannon (last edited Sep 11, 2012 05:32AM) (new)

Shannon (SM1996) | 30 comments Quarterly Challenge #7
Sept 1st - Nov 30th
1/10 Completed

1) Banned Book = ??
2) New Release = Shine Light
3) 1980's = Yesterday
4) TBR = Arise
5) Supernatural MC = Endlessly (Reading)
6) Alternate World/Universe = Arrival
7) Coming Out Day = Annie On My Mind
8) 500+ pages = The Book Thief
9) White Cover = Pure
10) Male Protagonist = The Rise Of Nine (Read 5/5 Stars)

Shine Light (Night Creatures, #3) by Marianne de Pierres Yesterday by C.K. Kelly Martin Arise (Hereafter, #2) by Tara Hudson Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3) by Kiersten White Arrival (The Phoenix Files, #1) by Chris Morphew Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Pure (Pure, #1) by Julianna Baggott The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3) by Pittacus Lore

« previous 1 3