Axis Mundi X discussion

Oakland Riots & Murder of Oscar Grant

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
There were riots in the streets of Oakland again yesterday after the BART officer who was arrested for the murder of Oscar Grant had his bail set in the amount of 3 million dollars. Although he did not put up his bail and is still in cutody, the streets of Oakland went wild for several hours in protest.

I have watched all the videos which have been posted which captured the shooting of Oscar Grant on New Years, and I have to say it appears to be a pretty blatant case of excessive force, which amounts to murder. He was shot in the back, while being held face down on the pavement, in full view of many witnesses. There is no evidence in the videos that he was even resisting arrest.

This is reminiscent of the Rodney King riots of 1992. I can't say that he was shot because he was black, necessarily, but I can see the case being made for that reasonably.

Intense times we live in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmJukc...

message 2: by Cyril (new)

Cyril The video is not clear to me, but it certainly looks like an execution.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Latest is his attorney is claiming he meant to use his Taser, but grabbed his pistol by mistake, having only been carrying the Taser for a week or two.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

oh jesus, what a fucking crock.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah and he very quickly left town after it happened and refused to talk to police.

message 6: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I can imagine that he panicked, I can also imagine that Oscar called him a name. Hard to know in all that din what actually went down. The other officers certainly looked shocked when he shot him in the back.

message 7: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Noone looked more shocked than the officer who pulled the trigger. A tragedy.

As for the rioters...any excuse will do. As always.