Twilight (Twilight, #1) Twilight discussion


580 views
Am I out of line in saying....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Uriah (new)

Uriah that Twilight is one of the most over-rated "novels" ever written, and that Stephanie Meyer is highly unoriginal and leeches off of the egg-shell minds of prepubescent and adolescent girls?
I mean, I'm a 15 year old male, and I'd consider myself pretty well read. I enjoy the works of authors such as Anthony Burgess, Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, Ray Bradbury, Lewis Carroll, S.E. Hinton, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Arthur Rimbaud, Ellen Hopkins, you get the idea.
Anyways, Twilight started its rise to popularity in my school last year(8th grade). My English teacher had a copy on her bookshelf and one day, out of curiosity, after asking my teachers permission, I borrowed it.
Fast forward later that night, and you'll see me reading about half of the book, closing it, and literally saying aloud, "What the f*ck is this? This is sh*t!" I returned the book not even 24 hours later.
If you have no empathy for my opinion, and are a Twilight fan, thats fine, but lets break Twilight down and look at it deeper.

1. Bella. Awkward new girl afraid of the pressures of a new school and classmates. Wow, never seen that before.
2. Bella develops a crush on the most attractive guy in the school. *slaps forhead* Wow! I woulda never thought of that!
3. The guy likes her back! Whatta surprise! Ohhh but theres a twist! Hes a vampire! Only, unlike how a vampire should be, Meyers vampires are born, don't have fangs (Isn't that the point of being a vampire?), and they're skin sparkles in sunlight. Really? It sparkles?!?
4. The Cullens are "vegetarian" vampires, meaning they don't feast upon the blood of humans only animals. Kinda like Louis from "Interview With The Vampire" right?
I'll finish my rant now, but I'm curious if anybody out there agrees?


Jenn ya i agree with almost everything u said, yet heres the weird part: i absulutly(sp?) luv twilight. dont get me wrong, im nota moron, and im not a overly obessed fangirl. if u really hate twilight, u should join the group twilight haters. they r insanly funny there.

@_@


message 3: by Moon (new)

Moon I didn't even get half way through Twilight before I shut the book. I made it to the end of chapter one.


Kathryn H i diagree fully. Its a gd book with alot of twist and turns maybe you should read the whole series before making any opinion. I loved the books, ok yea some bits iv seen before but not in the same book. read the rest u wont be disapointed!!!


message 5: by Susan (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:57AM) (new)

Susan Twilight isn't about intellect - hello?!. It's about emotional need/angst/fulfillment, i.e., ROMANCE. Typical formula, right. Except that because we live in a time when there are no barriers to SEX, a new obsticle must be invented. So...... a guy who could smash you to smitherenes and suck your body dry, turn you into an undead "monster" BUT doesn't because of his great love for you..... Yeah, that seems to be working.


Kathryn H i agree. Its a well writen book, an afta wards u start 2 care about the characters. Of course u need the problmes of fitting in skl and love coz our life is built around tha. Its modern and i think is a amazing romance with twists.


Mandy Ok, you are right. Nothing new! But if there is anybody out there that just loves to be entertained while reading, this is good entertainment. Plus, all love stories have the same ingredients in them just presented a little differently or with a twist or well, you get the idea. Not an Edward fanatic just sucked in by a good book.


Ellie twilight has it's flaws i have to agree with that but it's a romance it's supposed to be like that, twists and turns etc. it's a brill book, i think the eragon and inkheart series beat the twilight series by a very small margin though


Tami I find it ironic that those who claim this was a well written book can't express themselves without resorting to text type.

That said, I have read all 4 books to this series. Great literature they are not, but they were okay stories, and I probably would have enjoyed it more if I were in the mind set of a typical 11-14 year old. I am not saying you have to be that old to enjoy them. I personally know many people ages 25-65 that "love" the books, along with some teens that can't loathe them enough.



Mandy I have just started Inkheart and I do like it so far. I also think that the Fablehaven books are better than Twilight. I loved Fablehaven and think that Brandon Mull has a wonderful imagination. Have not yet got into Eragon.


Nichole (DirrtyH) Holy crap, some of you really need to spend some extra time in English class... maybe get a tutor? (I'm assuming you're all still in high school or junior high... God help us if you're not.)


Sawyer It makes me sad when people say things like "it's a romance it's supposed to be like that." Romance could be so interesting, but people seem to gravitate towards mindless fluff with unrealistic outcomes and a soap operatic middle.

Though, someone tell me what Edward and Bella see in each other, especially in the first book. All I got was that he's sparkly and perfect/godlike/[insert synonym for good-looking here:] and she smells nice and has a mind that can't be read.


message 13: by Mandy (last edited Feb 05, 2009 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mandy I think that people are getting totally off the subject of what is being discussed. I am sure none of us are perfect when it comes to grammar and spelling, and many don't care, as hard as that is to digest. There are so many people out there that honestly don't give a rats *ss if they spell things correctly or punctuate when needed. That said, I think the subject is Twilight and what individuals think about it, negative or positive.

Honestly, the book sucked me in and it was interesting. Who knows why they are attracted to each other and I personally didn't care. I just like a good love story.




message 14: by Susan (last edited Feb 05, 2009 02:51PM) (new)

Susan
I agree. Try Jane Eyre. Huge barriers to love, powerful man, seemingly powerful but resourceful woman, little attention to why they're attracted to each other (in both the men find the women unique and strangely in posession of a brain) but beautifully written and layers of meaning below the obvious



Sawyer Mandy wrote: "I think that people are getting totally off the subject of what is being discussed. I am sure none of us are perfect when it comes to grammar and spelling, and many don't care, as hard as that is ..."

I like a good love story, too, and that's my problem. Are they in love? I was told once that love was more than just "You're hot." "You smell nice." "You're hot." "I can't read your mind." "Make babies?" "I'm too dangerous." "...Make babies?" "...Okay." I'd like to still believe that's true.

I love watching characters fall in love and then overcome any challenges needed to get to each other (or I love watching them fail). I love passion and emotional turmoil and confusion. Twilight didn't give me love. It gave me a middle school/high school (depending on how fast you matured) obsession-like "romance." You know, that girl that can't get over the fact that OMGSHEHASABF, even though they've been "together" for only a day, and has to text him 24/7? And, when he's not around, she either doesn't show up for school or just bawls her eyes out all day? And everyone rolls their eyes at her because, for chrissake, get a life? That's what Bella reminds me of. That's what Bella IS. If Edward loved her, he'd commit her, because that level of obsession just is not healthy, even if she really is in love with him.

Edward is another story. He likes her smell, he can't read her thoughts, and he really wants her blood. That's really all I got from him. Not to mention, what does he DO for her? He removes the engine from her car at one point so she can't go visit her friend - something that you can actually get abuse shelter for if someone does that to you. He watches her sleep - something you can report stalking for. He follows her around before they're even "together" - again, stalker anyone? And, really, that's it. Maybe he loves her for one reason or other - I couldn't tell, though he convinced me more than Bella - but a lot of the stuff he did could be considered abusive.

If that's a good love story, then I think I've just lost all my faith in humanity. I mean, if you like Twilight, that's your thing (I can understand liking fluff; I can't understand thinking fluff is great literature, though), but I just don't see the love or the connection.


Mandy Ok, so you have a point Sawyer. I won't deny it. There was just something about the book. But you do have to remember that it's a novel (and sometimes who knows what you will get from them). Lots of fluff, not a very filling plot, but fast moving. I couldn't read it again and like it as much, nor do I want to. Strictly a surface book when you just need a break from the day to day, which is what it was for me. I don't think it's a book that can be talked over and picked apart because it is merely a made-up story that wasn't very well thought out. And, is definitely a book made for 12-14 year olds. The age that, your second paragraph describes it all perfectly, obsession-like "romance" is what life is all about.



message 17: by Cory (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cory Gardner Uriah wrote: "that Twilight is one of the most over-rated "novels" ever written, and that Stephanie Meyer is highly unoriginal and leeches off of the egg-shell minds of prepubescent and adolescent girls?
I mean..."


I enjoyed these books, until I read the Sookie Stackhouse Novels. I think Stephanie Meyers plagerized most of the concept.


message 18: by Paige (new)

Paige ill just say one thing... I love twilight! :)


message 19: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Sawyer wrote: "I can understand liking fluff; I can't understand thinking fluff is great literature, though"

I completely agree. That is exactly my viewpoint whenever I come across someone shouting out to the world that Twilight is just "the best book ever!!!"

I won't lie. I liked these books. But the best book ever written? It's far, far from it. What I can't understand, personally, is how exactly did these books get so damn popular? I look at all the people in my high school walking by with their copies, and I can only wonder....


message 20: by Nada (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nada Romeo and Juliet is not about true love, it is about true LUST. Throughout the twilight series romeo and juliet is mentioned many times. According to Stephanie Meyer and Bella r & j is so romantic, but it isn't. Stephanie Meyer is unintentionally contradicting her own writing. Bella is always describing how beautiful Edward is, and Edward is attracted to her scent! There is no true love in this book, Twilight is just a pointless fantasy.


message 21: by Sawyer (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sawyer Nada wrote: "Romeo and Juliet is not about true love, it is about true LUST. Throughout the twilight series romeo and juliet is mentioned many times. According to Stephanie Meyer and Bella r & j is so romantic,..."

I agree, except on the point that R&J is true "lust"... it's true foolishness, true puppy love, but lust in terms of sexual desire... if that was all that was, I think that story would've been very different. Now, "an intense but relatively shallow relationship" - that's Romeo & Juliet.

Still not what SMeyer wants it to be, though.


Gabrielle I really liked Twilight, I'm NOT obsessed with it though.... which I'm not sure why everyone is drooling over Edward, and wishing they were Bella... even though they are ONLY characters in a book. I think it's because they seemed so real to the readers. But other then everyone else's opinions, I really loved the book, and I'm in the middle of Eclipse right now, just haven't found the time to continue reading.


message 23: by Rika (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rika I agree with you, though I didn't hate it when I first read. I enjoyed it at first and then the hype built up and it started to dislike it. It's what I call a first read wonder, the first time you read it's amazing, but the second time you do all you see is the holes in it.The magic doesn't last very long.
At first I also really loved her use of big words and made the book feel more intelligent ( at least to my then 15 year old mind), it becomes annoying though like she swallowed a thesaurus and was just being pretentious with all the words she knew.
Overall it's just a book for the young female teenage mind, it preys on our fantasies (although not vampire fantasies)and the whole forbidden element draws young girls in. But the older you grow and the more it becomes implausible.I suggest the bronze horseman or a twilight for the mature mind


vampire lover I for one like the book. I thought it was good to read during my free time.


Maggi i thought sparkly vampires were creative


Becca I read the series (well, the first 3 books) before they got popular and I did enjoy them, but I agree that they're shit. The writing is awful ( I remember picking out a sentence that made no sense AT ALL in any shape of form, we just could not fathom what she was even trying to put across). Some things like sparkling vampires are just wtf, but for a cheap easy read, it's OK... if you ignore the really bad writing and awkward story lines.


Veronica At first I really liked the books then I put more thought into them and realized that it wasnt that good. Some of it was alright but alot of it sucked.


Amanda Kathryn wrote: "i diagree fully. Its a gd book with alot of twist and turns maybe you should read the whole series before making any opinion. I loved the books, ok yea some bits iv seen before but not in the sam..."

i agree with u 200%!!!!


Amanda I disagree 200%!!!!! they're my favorite books! I almost gave up on them, but kept reading. Now they're my favorite books!


Maggi im with u girl


vampire lover Right now im reading the last book and i might aloney be on capter 2 but it is still awesome ( been waiting to get my hands on that book for sooooooo long, and then some one let me borrow the book.) So you can say wat you want but i LOVE the books!!!!!!


message 32: by Monique (last edited Apr 16, 2011 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monique Gonzalez I understand what you're saying completely. But personally, I read these books before the movies came out, and I have to say that I adored them. And to be honest, the amount of disgust people show to this series now when they see the word "Twilight" makes me feel horrible. Like I was a stupid person for liking the books.

Years later, I am still a fan. It's only since the series has blown up and people started dissecting the characters, storyline, grammar, and plot left and right that I've realized what a big issue it is for everyone. But at the time when I first picked up the book, it really wasn't an issue. I was reading for fun, because really, that's a big reason of WHY I love to read: I like to be entertained. Twilight was an easy, fun read, that I was able to dive into. Regardless of the fact that people say the story is "unoriginal" or "badly written". I loved the series then, and I still do today.

But of course, your points are all valid! This is just my thoughts on the matter :)


message 33: by Gabby (last edited Apr 17, 2011 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gabby I'm a 13 year old girl and I won't criticise anyone who enjoyed the twilight books, because that isn't the point of this discussion. But I don't believe the story was very well concieved. And first of all, let me just state that I HAVE read the whole series, so don't go saying "if you actually read them all, you would fall in love with them" because I have, and they weren't that great. I mean, the whole plot is basically that a clumsy girl moves somewhere and falls in love with a sparkly vampire and a werewolf with some serious jealousy issues and then has a baby with the vamp and turns into one. If you ask me, that's not really a good plot.

However, I did ejoy Stephanie Meyers other book The Host, because it was a lot more interesting and made a lot more sense. The twilight plot seemed to just go around in circles, it was like, Oh no, i'm gonna die, oh look edward saved me, oh no a vampire is gonna kill me, oh,edward saved me again, oh i'm dying, now i'm a vampire . I read the series before the movie came out and all the hype started. I wouldn't say it was badly written, it just didn't sustain itself throughout the series and had to rely on cheap twists like pregnancies and vampire armies. I also read for entertainment and because I like to be gripped by a book, but twilight just didn't do it for me. Bella seemed like not a very like-able person-she's selfish, cowardly, gets everything she wants and relies on other people to sustain her. Edward simply seemed uninteresting, as in all you need to know is that he's a hundred-and-something year old sparkly vampire who wants to eat Bella but won't because of his undying "love" for her. I don't believe people who read and enjoy these books are stupid or have bad taste, but I simply don't believe this should be portrayed as excellent literature.

Also, twilight haters aren't the only ones who criticise, twi-hards quite often comment saying that people who didn't enjoy twilight have "no taste in literature" and say "it's their loss". I don't feel as if I have lost anything by not enjoying twilight, and if I don't want to follow a mindless herd, if I want to go my own way, that means I have no taste in books? Some people need to understand the benefits of PERSPECTIVE.Try The Hunger Games and the Gone trilogy. You may be surprised.


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

some of your comments do make sense,im not obsessed with twilight. But to me the first book was the best. Because when i read the first book i thought it was interesting so i continued to read the other three books. the others was okay. but i really hoped that it could have been more interesting. I mean, she did a great job in the first one why cant she make a better one in the others?
Im not saying this because i hate twilight because I dont. its just that there are other books that are much more interesting. like Gabby has said, Stephenie Meyers other book the host for instance was a very good. so actually Stephenie Meyer can write a better story. She has proved to all of you who think she cant, by writing a better story. Just because one of her books didnt turn out grate doesnt mean she cant do a better one.


message 35: by Em (new)

Em I agree, Twilight is an idiotic series. The only thing in it is Bella making idiotic mistakes that would get any other person killed. The only reason I asked to join this club was because of my parents, who love Twilight. XD


vampire lover Well i think it was stupid of her to jump off that cliff and almost kill her self and then Edward thought she was dead she he tried to kill himself


message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, it doesnt make sense. i mean edward knew she jumped off the cliff why didnt he know she didnt die?


Amanda Amylia wrote: "Actually, it doesnt make sense. i mean edward knew she jumped off the cliff why didnt he know she didnt die?"

bc jake went to save her nd alice cant see werewolves


Gabby Amylia wrote: "Actually, it doesnt make sense. i mean edward knew she jumped off the cliff why didnt he know she didnt die?"

Because he left to kill himself before he found out


Amanda Gabby wrote: "Amylia wrote: "Actually, it doesnt make sense. i mean edward knew she jumped off the cliff why didnt he know she didnt die?"

Because he left to kill himself before he found out"


yes that's also true! alice can't see jake nd jake went to save bella, but edward hung up nd smashed his phone as soon as he heard and went to the volturi to kill himself so that he wouldn't have to live without Bella


Victoria Arechiga Overated is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!! Good golly, how I detest the whole twilight saga...Stephanie Meyers is just another ORDINARY author who BY-CHANCE, had her book picked up by the marketing industry to make teens everywhere drool over this collection of pages (and I say collection of pages, because I wont dare call these things books) and excerpts from other NOVELS. The only good thing about this collection of pages,(AND I CANT BELIEVE I FOUND SOMETHING) is in the 2nd book where that twit Bella is suffering...its understandable, she just found out that she was created to be part of a HORRID book, that would become the world's biggest nuisance... The only reason this book has made it "big" is beacause hormone crazed girls and older woman just cant seem to wrap their head around the reality that love is supernatural, but not in the sense they want to make it seem. Vampires... really? what a way to kill the chilling stories of Vampires. Whose Dracula's next victim? Hmmmm... Let list them in order.
1. Stephanie Meyer for writing the book.
2. Robert pattinson for portraying the "supposedly mysterious, seductive" vampire. (that's Dracula's title)
3. That girl- whats her name... whatever. The girl that played Bella, cause first of all Bella is stupid, and so is the girl who played her.

I can go on, but I feel like i'm ranting....


Victoria Arechiga Gabby wrote: "I'm a 13 year old girl and I won't criticise anyone who enjoyed the twilight books, because that isn't the point of this discussion. But I don't believe the story was very well concieved. And first..."

COMPLETELY AGREE...


Victoria Arechiga Kathryn wrote: "i diagree fully. Its a gd book with alot of twist and turns maybe you should read the whole series before making any opinion. I loved the books, ok yea some bits iv seen before but not in the sam..."

who could be disappointed... from the beginning there were no standards that this book could meet. I read the whole series to see what the jist of it was and let me just say that the "twist and turns" you so happened to mention were not clever in any sense and were just taken from other novels with the word vampire in front of it... Disappointed-no. just a waste of time.


vampire lover The book is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not a wast of time


The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears Susan wrote: "Twilight isn't about intellect - hello?!. It's about emotional need/angst/fulfillment, i.e., ROMANCE. Typical formula, right. Except that because we live in a time when there are no barriers to SEX..."

There's nothing even remotely romantic about Twilight. Yes, I read the entire series and not once did I sense any real connection between Bella and Edward. They seemed to fall in love because that's what Meyer wanted. There was no development, no growth, nothing. It's like "boom it's love". And don't get me started on the inane love triangle thing, which has now become trendy in a lot of YA books now.

Bella's a total wimp and an insult to strong, resourceful heroines everywhere. I can't believe that any modern heroine would allow anyone--potential boyfriend material included--to tell her whom she can be friends with, and yet she allows Edward to pretty much dominate her entire life. That's not romantic. That's abusive.


Goth babe The Twilight series is great. I personally enjoyed reading it. I think though it has been made a too big of a deal over. I mean there are lots of vampire books and movies. But this is being thrown out of porportion!! I think you have a right to an opinion. I mean when the movie first came out tell me honestly.......how many guys did you see sitting in the theatre watching the movie.


message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

You know Lizzy you are actually kind of right, I mean my brother was like..."what kind of movie is this?"...
And there were only maybe two to three boys there.


message 48: by Drew (new)

Drew Gabby wrote: "I'm a 13 year old girl and I won't criticise anyone who enjoyed the twilight books, because that isn't the point of this discussion. But I don't believe the story was very well concieved. And first..."

I agree. -


Jenny Uriah wrote: "that Twilight is one of the most over-rated "novels" ever written, and that Stephanie Meyer is highly unoriginal and leeches off of the egg-shell minds of prepubescent and adolescent girls?
I mean..."


i definitely agree. I think that the novels were good, but i just hate what they did to it when the movies came out. It became waaaayyyy to overrated and glamorized by hormonal tweens who just looooove edward and think he's just adorable. I totally disagree. I also think they should have made Bella more of a badass and not so much a shy, socially inept teenager. I could go on and on, but that usually doesnt end well.


message 50: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo ...that I wish I could ban the book from the whole world because it's not worth it, it's a disgrace to the word "book" and "literature"?
I love reading. Suzanne Collins is my favorite (live) author, and I was used to everyone in school saying that books are boring. And suddenly everyone was saying, "I loved the book!" "The ending made me cry!" And I heard of Twilight.
As a (12-year-old) girl at the time, I adored them, and it was just as few months ago I opened my eyes. Everything in popular series such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Glee and Interview with the Vampire is mixed into Twilight. If Twilight were a house, I would put in the doormat: "Welcome to the most clichéd, stupid, flat-charactered, lame, inactioned, slow, plotless house!"


« previous 1 3
back to top