Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Music Videos

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments This might be a better topic for the Feedback group, but I'll post it here.

I've come across a bunch of music videos recently...I'm assuming they should be deleted?

Artists I've seen: Bee Gees, Eagles, John Lennon and a couple others I can't remember.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Isis, No ISBNs? Then, yes, I'd delete them. If with ISBNs I'd NOT A BOOK them.

message 3: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Do you mean music video DVDs or youTube based music videos?

message 4: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments YouTube music videos for songs.

They may have been auto-imported because the artist has an author page (whether they are a valid author or not).

message 5: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments If they've been auto-imported, I imagine they'd return the next time a pass is made.

If they were relegated to the appropriate author page, I don't see where they would bother anyone. But I suppose they'd also show up in Explore-Videos.

This might be a question for the GR staff.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
GR appears to have decided that all YouTube videos related to a given author -- regardless of what "author" means in a given case -- should be imported. As mlady_rebecca says, they'll just get re-imported if you delete them.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Well, shouldn't they be NOT A BOOKs then?!

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

They're not books at all. They're author videos.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Oh, on the author's profile page then? Not in the GR database?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'm assuming that's what Isis meant, but maybe she'll clarify.

message 11: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Yes, author videos...the kind you can watch and vote on.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Personally, I'd also rather they weren't on GR. But with the importing from YouTube, I think it's a lost cause.

message 13: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse There are copyright issues here, I suspect. Probably videos in which the rights aren't owned by or licensed to the person posting them should be removed.

message 14: by A.A. (last edited Apr 25, 2011 11:42PM) (new)

A.A. Bell (aabell) | 5 comments HI Can anyone please explain:
How do we delete/sort the priorities of our uploaded videos? Maybe I've been looking so hard I've gone crosseyed, but I can only find how to add new ones, and it only seems to put them up in order of most recent at the top.

Also, I notice there is no mention of how many youtube views there are (Is it just goodread views?), and does this mean our views in good reads don't count on youtube? (Or is there any way to show in good reads that I have nearly 200,000 views in youtube in last 2 months for my 3 vids? Otherwise, it feels like I'm starting all over again in Goodreads. Sigh.)

message 15: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments I'm pretty sure someone said there is no way to re-arrange the videos, but I'm surprised there isn't a way to delete them. As a Librarian, I don't see a way to delete videos. It may be a capability restricted to Super-Librarians or the Staff.

message 16: by A.A. (new)

A.A. Bell (aabell) | 5 comments mlady_rebecca wrote: "... As a Librarian, I don't see a way to delete videos. It may be a capability restricted to Super-Librarians or the Staff"

LOL... super librarians... they must be the ones with the capes. I've seen them creeping around the halls and green rooms at lit festivals, and always wondered what they were really up to! I wonder if I catch one, if we could convince them to delete our old videos, so we can replace them with the updates that also mention our sequels, reviews and award wins? :)

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

mlady_rebecca wrote: "I'm pretty sure someone said there is no way to re-arrange the videos"

There is not; like books, they sort in order of popularity.

Authors should be able to delete their own videos. Is there one you were having difficulty with?

message 18: by A.A. (last edited Apr 27, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

A.A. Bell (aabell) | 5 comments rivka wrote: Authors should be able to delete their own videos. Is there one you were having difficulty with?"

I would like to reorder most of them, because I had to update one of them to include details of my recent literary award, and I'd like my video with over 150,000 youtube views to stay above my vid that's got only 7000 youtube views, but on good reads, they have the same number of likes (despite different number of views here) so impossible to put in order of real importance... one has just attracted more views because it was lucky to be uploaded a few minutes before the other.

Next month I also launch a new book, which means new trailer,so I'd prefer the new one to be on top on my profile, instead of any of the old ones (so profile visitors see the 2 most relevent videos to my current giveaway/Q&A without needing to open the "all videos" page)... it just seems to make more sense to me, or maybe I just need my coffee for the day? LOL.

However... I have also noticed some other authors (even in the top 20 most popular trailer list) have deleted their youtube videos and/or youtube accounts and still not been able to remove the video from goodreads... it seems to be left as just a black square here.

Also, I think it would be really helpful if we could organise videos in our profiles, same as we can re-order books in our shelves using the #number column"...? Would love to know what others think, in case it's worth making the suggestion to goodreads, but if it's only me, it won't matter.

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

On this page, do you not see an "edit this video" link on the top right?

message 20: by A.A. (new)

A.A. Bell (aabell) | 5 comments rivka wrote: "On this page, do you not see an "edit this video" link on the top right?"

U R BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

I'll just delete the code. :))

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Happy to help. :)