Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Moving books to another exclusive shelf showing up on update feed

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (darciana) | 89 comments I've just moved a bunch of books from one exclusive shelf to another. I did so by going to the individual book pages, clicking on the edit review link, changing the shelf and unchecking the add to my update feed ticky box. Still, they all showed up under 'Darciana's Recent Updates'. I don't know if this is the desired behaviour, but it doesn't make much sense to me because that's exactly what I thought I'd avoid by unchecking that box. Otherwise I would have changed the shelves using the drop-down menu on my book shelves page which is a much faster way, but I didn't want to flood my friends' feeds with books I've already added.

I've removed them manually now, but that also means I've lost several updates on my profile page which I wanted to show.

message 2: by Hayes (last edited Aug 29, 2012 05:56AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I think you can filter what shows up on your update feed by going to your profile.

Eta: edit profile, feeds...

there's "add a new status to a book" but I don't know if that qualifies. You could uncheck it and see what happens.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (darciana) | 89 comments Add a new status to a book I'm reading refers to the reading progress, not moving a book to another exclusive shelf.
I've disabled Add a book to your shelves temporarily for as long as I'm moving books, but that doesn't really work as a permanent solution of the issue described above. If I uncheck add to my update feed, it really shouldn't be added to my feed at all, no matter what I change.

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (momanem35) | 50 comments I think you need go to edit your profie, and under feeds, uncheck "add a book to your shelves" box, because by "moving" a book, you're adding it to a new shelf.

And when you manually remove individual entries from your profile page, if you refresh the page, it will autopopulate with older entries.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (darciana) | 89 comments I think you need go to edit your profie, and under feeds, uncheck "add a book to your shelves" box, because by "moving" a book, you're adding it to a new shelf.
As I wrote in my previous comment, I did exactly that as a temporary workaround - and nearly forgot to enable it again. If I want to move a single book or two to another shelf, this becomes a rather annoying procedure, and that's why I did what I described in my first comment. But it seems to me that unchecking the add to my update feed box unfortunately doesn't affect shelf changes.

And when you manually remove individual entries from your profile page, if you refresh the page, it will autopopulate with older entries.
That's not entirely true. Of my older entries (8-10) only 3 show up now. A while ago I went on a wishlist adding spree, removed the newly added books from my feed, refreshed the page - and the entire Recent Updates section was completely empty. I suppose older entries get deleted once a certain limit has been reached.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I agree. When you untick that box "add to my update feed" I expect it will NOT get added to my update feed. This seems a bug and hope it will be fixed.

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments As I recall from previous discussions, the problem with fixing this behavior is that the "add to my update feed" checkbox applies to the review: the thing that's saved when you hit the "save" button. Changes to your shelves aren't actually part of your review even though they seem like they are, and you can tell because if you open up the "edit review" page, change your shelving, and then click on "cancel changes" it doesn't cancel the change to your shelving; the shelving changes were in fact saved as soon as you made them, completely independently of your changes to your review.