CafeMom-The Book Club discussion

Has anyone ....

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (pinkprincessmommy) | 20 comments bought any good books lately? I just placed two orders and am waiting for them to come.

Heather

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:43AM) (new)

Lisa | 7 comments I bought "The Glass Castle",and "Water for Elephants"(for the book club on cafe mom}most recently. Christmas is next week though and I am bound to get a few new books then.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (pinkprincessmommy) | 20 comments I just finished the Glass Castle ... I thought it was a very good read.

I also have Water for Elephants coming. From everything I have heard about it, I am really looking forward to reading it.

message 4: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 26 comments Mod
I loved the Glass Castle and am going to read Water for Elephants.
I'm reading Nora Roberts Angels Fall right now and it's really good.

If you haven't read The Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah, I.LOVED.IT! I thought it was great. Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky was very good also!

message 5: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (splummer54) Just placed my order for The Glass Castle, Angels Fall, The Magic Hour and Family Tree. Thanks for the advice on all the books. Can't wait to get them and start reading. These are my Christmas gift to my self. LOL Take Care!!

Sherrie

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (AJourneyInReading) I bought

"Hide and seek"...Fern Michaels
"The Fifth Vial"...Michael Palmer
"Wicked" .... Gregory Maguire
"The Same Sweet Girls" .... Cassandra King

Those should keep me busy for a few days. I have already finished the Fern Michaels book.

message 7: by julie (new)

julie (maguire708) I have The Thirteenth Tale and A Thousand Splendid Suns on the way! Isaw a trailer for the movie of The Kite Runner last night... I hope they don't ruin it!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 7 comments I asked for The Thirteenth Tale along with a few others for Christmas....my only problem will be choosing which book to read after Christmas.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (dag57) | 28 comments I read The Thirteenth Tale and liked it....I just blew my work holiday gift card on books at Amazon....I always get used books so I ordered like 12 books!!! I am psyched!!!

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna (dag57) | 28 comments Let me know what you think of Wicked...I have gotten mixed reviews from some friends so hesitant to get it......

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna (dag57) | 28 comments We got a gift card at work for Xmas and I blew a lot of it on books at Amazon...lol....here's my Winter Reserve 2008:

The Reagan Diaries
Pillars of the Earth
Six Wives of Henry VIII
In The Company of the Courtesan
The Devil In The White City
Notes From A Big Country
Back Bay
Back When We Were Grownups
The Monk Downstairs
The Mermaid Chair
Secondhand Smoke
What Angels Fear

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (AJourneyInReading) We also got a gift card for Christmas from work.... I havent decided yet as to what to buy, but it seems that I am spending more time looking for something to buy than I am reading!!!

message 13: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (splummer54) Hi everyone,
I got a gift card for Wal-Mart. Don't know what kind of books they have, but going to take a look. I got one of my new books I ordered. It got here fast. Just ordered it Thursday and got it today, Saturday. The book is Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky. Can't wait to start it, but have to finish Angels & Demons first. Take Care!!

Sherrie

message 14: by Kelley (new)

Kelley Sampson (mrssampsonette) | 1 comments I just bought Wicked too. I read about half of it..and even that was like pulling teeth. I'm not one to just stop reading a book but I didn't like it at all.

message 15: by Vee (new)

Vee (SummerVilla) | 3 comments Hello everyone,
I am working my way through The Glass Castle audiobook - while I drive, and A Thousand Splendid Suns audiobook - at home. Also working my way through: Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo and Water for Elephants. I like to multi-task. Merry Christmas to all!

message 16: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (cagefan23) | 6 comments I bought Eat, Pray, Love and I just started it. I'm usually not into Non-fiction but so far so good. I usually refrain from buying books because once I start I can't stop so I use our library a lot.

message 17: by Ellenjsmellen (new)

Ellenjsmellen | 7 comments Anyone here read Snow Flower & the Secret Fan by Lisa See yet? Amazing story set in China during the footbinding era and two women who meet as little girls connect throughout their lives in a secret language on a folded fan. Very powerful story. The type of book you'd buy and pass it along to all the girls. I followed it with Peony in Love by the same author.

message 18: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (cagefan23) | 6 comments I just got done reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan not too long ago and I loved loved loved it!!! It was seriously one of the best books I have ever read. I have never been so intrigued by another culture before.

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna (dag57) | 28 comments I'll be curious to see what you think of Eat, Pray, Love, Crystal - I have been thinking about getting it but haven't yet.....

message 20: by Mona (new)

Mona | 32 comments I just saw this thread... I loved Eat, Pray, Love. My friend got it for me last year for my birthday. Great read! I also read The Glass Castle. I thought it was pretty good. Really made you think about your own childhood and how we are all raised differently!
What else have you all read? I love hearing about what everyone has read and what you thought of it!!! :)

I am looking for some good summer reads. Any suggestions?

message 21: by samantha (last edited Jun 30, 2008 10:00AM) (new)

samantha (samstress) i have so many un-read books on my shelves that i haven't been bothered to buy any lately. although i am going to the used book sale at the library this weekend, so i'm guessing i'll pick some up there. will let you know what i find. there's nothing more satisfying than finding a great book for 25 cents.

here's what i ended up getting...

pride and prejudice – jane austen
dandelion wine – ray bradbury
don quixote – cervantes
the hours – michael cunningham
house of sand and fog – andre dubus
the memory keeper’s daughter – kim edwards
middlemarch – george eliot
the french lieutenant’s woman – john fowles
far from the madding crowd – thomas hardy
tess of the d’urbervilles – thomas hardy
narcissus and goldmund – hermann hesse