The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > City of Ember -How is it?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I think this is a wonderful book with lots of detail and fast-paced action!!! How do you like it?

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments I enjoyed City of Ember - I think the book is better than the movie - but that is the case with most book/movie combinations.

-- Wife of GR author Michael J. Sullivan: The Crown Conspiracy (10/08) | Avempartha (04/09)

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 36 comments I didn't really like this novel. I had trouble getting into it and connecting with the characters, and I usually love children's/YA lit. I think novels like The Giver by Lois Lowry are far superior. However, the second book in the series, The People of Sparks is much better. I think that these books are written for a younger audience, grades 3-6 and do not have enough substance to make the transition to adult readers. Just my opinion. My little brother loved City of Ember when He was in elementary school. It was his favourite book for a while.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber Scott (amberscott) | 17 comments I love the premise of this one. It made me appreciate all the little things. Blue skies. Working plumbing. Crayons.

message 5: by Erik (new)

Erik Tavares (estavares) | 3 comments The "voice" of this book is very good; there's something engaging about a dying city holding on for dear life - makes the desire to find something better more interesting. Recommended!

(This topic reminded me to post a review of this book too.)