Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > New York Times Books Update - 1/30/09

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Below is a link to the New York Times Books Update for 1/30/09:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2009/0...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I receive this information as an email once a week. You can too.

I have to admit that I do find it a bit overwhelming to see so many reviews all at once. Who can keep up with all of this?

However, I do see a book which intrigues me. It's called _The Women_, written by T.C. Boyle.

The review says:
"T. Coraghessan Boyle’s mesmerizing novel approaches Frank Lloyd Wright’s complexities through the lens of his messy romantic relationships."

Note that this is fiction weaved out of facts learned through biographical research.

I recently read _Loving Frank A Novel_ by Nancy Horan. It's the fictionalized story of one of Frank Lloyd Wright's extra-marital affairs. This new book by Boyle should add another perspective to the story of the celebrated architect... "The Architect of Love" (which is title of the review). (g)

This all makes me wonder how fair it is to create a fictional story elaborating on the life of a real person. I know it's done all the time and may be known as historical fiction or as fictionalized biography, but is it fair to fiddle with the facts about an actual person? Whether it's fair or not doesn't seem to matter... because it's done all the time and I don't see anyone complaining. (g)

message 2: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (olinmom) Joy -- I'm adding it to my "To Read shelf -- saw a review of it in bookpage.com and it looks interesting.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 02, 2009 08:05PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Audrey. I've added Boyle's book to my To-Read shelf too. The Crandall Library group was considering it as a selection for their group to read. I hope they do.

Thanks for the link to Bookpage.com.

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Loving Frank (other topics)
The Women (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nancy Horan (other topics)
T. Coraghessan Boyle (other topics)