Nobel Prize 2012 (for Lit duh :-)) discussion

Dubravka Ugresic

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) Don't know if she's being talked about at all, but she should be. I first came across her as part of the wonderful Canongate Myths series where she wrote one based on Baba Yaga which was a bit meandering but had some wonderful images and metaphorical flourishes. Then I read her Ministry of Pain about being in exile after the Balkans conflicts and is perhaps the best treatment of exile I have come across I think.

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenjbeal) Oh I loved that series! Margaret Atwood's Penelopiad was my favourite. I actually sent my first novel (a contemporary retelling of the Orpheus and Eurydice myth) to Canongate in speculation - rejected!

message 3: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) I didn't think they accepted manuscripts? They would be my dream publishers. What have you done with your novel since?

That Myths series introduced me to two of my now fave authors, in Michel Faber and Victor Pelevin. I've rather lost track of it recently, I need to catch up

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenjbeal) Well they didn't accept mine ;-) - I got quite a nice form letter as I recall - not a what-the-hell-are-you-sending-us-this-for response. I'm going to self publish it on December 1st - it's called 'Thirty Seconds Before Midnight' - and two more and a book of six short stories too (that last one will be free as an ebook).

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) Helen wrote: "Well they didn't accept mine ;-) - I got quite a nice form letter as I recall - not a what-the-hell-are-you-sending-us-this-for response. I'm going to self publish it on December 1st - it's called ..."

yay, look forward to it. Please be sure to pop me a reminder when it's out

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenjbeal) Will do :-)