Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Something Secret This Way Comes - Spoilers

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is to discuss: Something Secret This Way Comes by Sierra Dean Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen #1) by Sierra Dean

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 3072 comments This book reminded me a lot of others out there, but even with the similarities I enjoyed this one. I liked learning about Secret's past and felt sorry for her, but was glad that she had a grounding presence.

I wish that there was more with Secret and the vampires, how she came to work with them and just what her place in their culture is.

I liked the start with Secret and the wolves, wish that there was more them, I wanted the relationship between them to be explored more.

I look forward to the next book, I hope that it will answer some of the questions I had.

message 3: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 4166 comments I'm about halfway through #2 A Bloody Good Secret (Secret McQueen, #2) by Sierra Dean and I can say Darcy, that the info you want will be leaked out over several books. Still I'm enjoying it :)

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 3072 comments That is good to know, thanks Sandra!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the entire series, and I really liked it. However (view spoiler) The series reminds me of another favorite of mine, the October Daye series.

message 6: by Jess (last edited Sep 10, 2012 06:01PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I agree Duane about the resemblance between this book and October Daye.

I've only read this first book so I'm not sure how the rest of the series plays out. But I found Secret a little more tolerable than October.

I have to get the rest of this series as I am curious as to what happens next. I was a little disappointed with the fact that there were so many questions left at the end of this one.

message 7: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 4166 comments Big surprise at the end of #2. And no I'm not telling!

I certainly didn't see it coming :)

I'll be getting to #3 pretty quickly I think ;D

I haven't read October Daye so can't comment either way.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The BIG surprise is at the end of book 4, and no, I'm not telling - not even in a spoiler.

My comparison to Toby and Secret was only in the way that when something good comes along for either of them, it gets snatched away. A lot of people don't like Toby, but personally I feel she is one of the better heroines out there. An intolerable character is almost any character in the "Fever" series, especially Mac and Dani.

message 9: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 4166 comments LOL Duane, I'll have to get to #3 quickly, just so I can find out the BIG surprise at the end of #4. Luckily I already have them :D

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments So mean!!! Both of you lol.

message 11: by KarenF (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:59AM) (new)

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 51 comments I read this a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it but oddly enough it reminded me of the other BOM, Some Girls Bite. I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's the age of the protagonists, who are both quite young compared to a lot of the UF that I read. Or maybe it was Secret's intro to the werewolf world that kind of reminded me of Merrit stumbling through the vampire world. I'm not exactly sure, it just felt reminiscent to me.

I do like that it ended on a teaser instead of a cliffhanger. And I'm interested in Holden (I think I'm a vampire girl at heart) so I'll be picking up the second one soon.

And this discussion is pushing me back to the October Daye series. I've only read the first one and really need to get to the others. Stupid job - getting in the way of all my reading time. :)

This series hadn't made it onto my radar at all so I'm glad it was picked!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure how you draw a comparison between Secret and Merrit.I think Secret is much more substantial than is Merrit, who basically whines all the time through all her books. Secret is more of a "it's my lot in life so deal with it" kind of girl. And Secret did know of the werewolf world - she voluntarily chose to stay away from it due to her family. Secret's bain is anything bad that can happen to her does happen!

And I have to admit, right now the October Day series is my all time favorite of all the series I have read, which is many. I also liked the first book of Seanan's Incrypted series - can't wait for book two to come out.

message 13: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 51 comments Yeah, it's not so much the characterization that I find similar it's the tone of the story or something. Like I said I can't quite put my finger on it.

Secret may know of the werewolf world but I don't know she really knew the details. She didn't know the king, didn't recognize the whole bonding thing, doesn't know what it really means, really, she only knows what they've told her. She may have purposely avoided it but it's a lack of knowledge all the same.

I think, like I said, it's also an age thing. I only read the one book but to me October seems very much an adult. She's lost a husband and child I believe. Not that loss is the exclusive province of adulthood but she acts and thinks like an adult. Both Merrit and Secret seem young to me. They seem like college or just out of college. That's what they are of course so it makes sense. I can't say I read a lot of books where the protagonists are that young. That could also be why I made the connection.

Anyway, I think that's where I saw the similarity. As always, just my opinion, YMMV.

message 14: by Anjini (new)

Anjini | 3 comments hey....
from where can i find this ebook to read ????

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 3072 comments I got mine from Amazon.

message 16: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 4166 comments I got mine from all romance ebooks.

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/index...

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I got mine either from the Sony eBook store or Smashwords - probably Sony, though.

@KarenF - Yeah, I agree with some of what you say; she did not know the Eastern WW's because she chose to ignore the WW world. She did know the Southern WW world because not only was she born into it, but she was "royalty" in it. The fact they abused her relentlessly made her leave the world and embrace her vampire half.

Anyway, you are correct in that we are all entitled to our opinions, and discussing them is what this is all about. Thanks for participating, it makes reading fun.

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Anyone know if they are available through kindle?

message 19: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 4166 comments I got the first one free from kindle some time ago, so I'm guessing they'd all be available :)

message 20: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments So I just finished this and thought it was a fun and light read. That can be hard to find because there's a fine line between funny/light and annoying for me.
I kind of see the Chicagoland connection, but not personality......just her learning about beinga werewolf. Actually the connection I made while reading was to Anita Blake because of the whole triumvirate thing.

(view spoiler)