The Time Traveler's Wife The Time Traveler's Wife discussion

Other books for lovers of The Time Traveler's Wife...

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanna (last edited Dec 18, 2007 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shanna I am looking for recommendations for other books that people have loved as much as they loved this book (considering if they are here because they loved it). I read it a couple of years ago and no other book has touched me quite the same way since. It was one of those books that I was so sad it was over because I loved it so much... I'm going on vacation in January, and want to take an amazing book with me, but haven't figured out what it's going to be. Thanks!

PS-sorry for the typo!

message 2: by Vee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vee I know exactly how you feel. Have you read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon? It is also about time traveling.

message 3: by Christy (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christy I loved that book too. Have you read Water for Elephants? It has nothing to do with time travel, but I loved it too. The other book that really has stayed with me over time is Bel Canto.

Have a nice vacation!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I got the same feeling from The World To Come by Dara Horn. Also recommend both The Magician's Assistant and Run, both by Ann Patchett. Enjoy!

Little I'll second Bel Canto. I loved that novel.
For more girly-science flavors, try My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult. The ending wasn't as satisfying, but the rest of the novel is a good read.
Ender's Game and the parallel Shadow serries by Orsen Scott Card are wonderful, albeit more traditional science fiction. I think there are currently 4 novels in the shadow series, starting with Ender's Shadow.
Stones From the River (Ursela Hegi) and Those Who Save Us (Jenna Blum) are fairly recent WWII books that I found touching.

Emerson Ahh, this book was awesome. Can't wait for her new novel - I think it's due pretty soon..

In the meantime, another great untraditional romance is "The Bridge Across Forever" by Richard Bach. I also like "The Princess Bride," by William Goldman, though that's rather less serious..

Or if you want something really depressing, read "Atonement" by Ian McEwan.

Heather Ursula Under by Ingrid Hill.

Linnea I'm reading it now and I love it--I can't put it down. I agree with some of the previous posts: loved Outlander, Water for Elephants, and Bel Canto.

A few others that I highly recommend:
Middlesex
Never Let Me Go (LOVE this book--one of those that really haunts you)
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (just finished; also a love story of sorts)

Jane Jacobson I find it interesting that you loved both the Time Traveler's Wife and Bel Canto. I think those are both my favorite books ever! What else have you liked? (I also liked Water for Elephants)

Christy One of my favorite books of all time was The Wake of the Wind by J. California Cooper. Very different than Bel Canto and Time Travelers Wife, but a beautifully written story.

Allison I loved Those Who Save Us and Middlesex, I agree with you guys who suggested those two! And I really liked The Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah - it wasn't about time travel but it's one of those books that has a rare kind of story that became fascinating (kind of like Middlesex with the hermaphrodite and Those Who Save Us, telling about WWII from a different person's perspective than you normally hear it).

Grace TIME>>>>>WIFE ....way too sad at the end

Normandy I am looking forward to reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - made me think of Water for Elephants ( I loved ). We will see.

Apatt Which facet of the book do you love more, the time traveling or the romance?

If you like time traveling with human drama (characters/emotion/compassion) I'd recommend Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (not much romance in it though).

For mind bending time travel paradoxes I'd recommend The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold. (Zero romance).

Nicole Kindred by Octavia Butler--time travel to the antebellum South. An amazing book. Heart-wrenching. I couldn't put it down.

LilaBird I HIGHLY recommend the book I'm currently in the middle of. It is AWESOME. It's called The Muse of Edouard Manet The Muse of Edouard Manet (The Time Chronicles of Emily Porterfield, #1) by M. Clifford and is simply amazing. It's a time travel book with great romance (but not "rippling abs" Fabio type of romance) -- more like a true relationship, like in Time Traveler's Wife or in Outlander (which I also highly recommend). But seriously, The Muse of Edouard Manet is sublime. It is perfect. I can tell it's one of those books I'm going to read over and over and over and over for years to come.

message 17: by Jeri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeri Paull My second favorite time travel book is "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. It is more about second chances and do-overs, which of course Henry did not get it TTTW. I also liked "The Mirror" and "Somewhere in Time", which were both time travel, but more romantic. Hopefully you have another vacation planned!

LilaBird I just posted my review for the book I recommended above (The Muse of Edouard Manet) -- this was one of the most amazing books I've ever read. Check out my review. Then read the book and see if you don't agree.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Nicole Just bought it so I will wait to read your review.

LilaBird Nelly wrote: "Just bought it so I will wait to read your review."

Yay! Enjoy! :)

Natalie Bel Canto, The Bridge Across Forever, Sky Burial, Life of Pi, The Lovely Bones

message 22: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Kennedy I read the Lovely Bones and was amazed that I loved it and would read it again, given the theme of the story.It looks at the horror of tragic death from another angle.
Looking forward to reading some of your recommendations.

message 23: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Kennedy The Time Travellers Wife is an amazing read so I am delighted with the recommendations for similar stories. Thank you all.
I didn't know she had another book published, the name would be welcome please.

Nicole Her Fearful Symmetry

message 25: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Kennedy thanks Nelly. I will buy that. Happy reading.

Natalie Hi Mary,
The Lovely Bones did a movie, but was not able to depict the story in the way it reads. It is strangely both sweet and comforting. An unusual accomplishment for the topic.

Natalie IQ84 is another amazing book…it is a trilogy that is fascinating and interesting

Nicole Love love love IQ84.

Khulud Khamis Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult.

message 30: by DL (new) - rated it 5 stars

DL Orton I have a book coming out soon that shares some aspects of TTTW (1st person alternating point-of-views, time travel, love story), and I'm looking for advance readers (free copy). More info: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1941368018/ If you're interested, please let me know.

Natalie D.L. wrote: "I have a book coming out soon that shares some aspects of TTTW (1st person alternating point-of-views, time travel, love story), and I'm looking for advance readers (free copy). More info: http://w..."

Hi D.L. I would LOVE an advanced copy. I am an avid reader…you can take a look at my books read.

I recently finished Bel Canto, Eduoard Manet's Muse, Outlander, and enjoyed them all.

message 32: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Love time travel (wish I could try it), love shifting POV. Would be thrilled to read an advance copy.

message 33: by Lia (new)

Lia Wagner It helps when authors are added along with the books. I did a search for "Never Let Me Go" and found at least three.

message 34: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana 15818218

Read

saving…
saving…
saving…

loading…

loading…

saving…

saving…

My rating:

1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars[ 5 of 5 stars ]

Preview

If you loved this book you would love

The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope

by Rhonda Riley

message 35: by Toni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope

Antonio Try this a bit different,same feel but a nice story.
The Curiosity
by Stephen P. Kiernan.

Natalie Thanks I am going to try the Enchanted Life of Adam Hope.

message 38: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana You will love the Enchanted Life of Adam Hope!!!!

Natalie Very excited!

Natalie Does anyone have any romance novels to suggest that are like TTW. They don't need to be time travel...just good. I have read Outlander, Bel Canto, IQ84
Thanks

message 41: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana I loved the Enchanted Life of Adam Hope by Rhonda Riley even more thanTTW. Also the Mermaid Chair.