Drama and Theatre discussion

Suggestions for an Anthology?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D. (new)

D. (djande) I'm teaching / creating a High School class next year called "Literature of the Stage and Screen." Here's the description, right from the registration guide:

This class offers exposure to a wide variety of dramatic literature, from contemporary plays to classic movie and television scripts. Through the examination of script structure, theme, character development and production design requirements, students will explore how analysis and research can aid in the transforming of a script into a theatrical experience. This course includes play readings, viewings, discussions, and presentation.

I'm struggling to find an anthology that would be appropriate for the class. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also open to ideas for what plays / tv shows / films I should cover in the course.

Thanks so much!

Derek

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali Hi Derek
It sounds very interesting and exciting as well...
I'm not sure if there will be an anthology which covers world contemporaries and classics in one book. Maybe you should see through different books, such as "Drama and the Dramatic" by S.W. Dawson, and "Elizabethan Drama" edited by Leonard Dean, and "Arguments for a Theatre" by Howard Barker, etc. etc.
There is also a series of titles published by Cambridge University Press, called "Directors and Perspective" on different styles and directors such as Brecht, Chaikin, Stein, Bergman, Copeau, Reinhardt, Gordon Craig, Stanislavsky, Vakhtangov, Meyehold, Piscator, etc. etc.

Sure some of our friends in the group can help you better and wider e.g. about relevent anthologies available in US or Canada.

Good luck.

message 3: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 24 comments A fantastic film which utlizes desgn elements to further the story and the character development, as well as being just sheerly awesome, is Hero. Excellent for script analysis and research.

message 4: by D. (new)

D. (djande) Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them all out.

Best,

Derek