Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Corby > The Next Generation Award

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Corby (last edited Feb 06, 2009 04:12AM) (new)

Corby Lancaster | 14 comments This award will go to the best children's literature that addresses environmental concerns. In the book "Sami and the Time of Troubles", Sami's grandfather speaks of "The day of the children." He was speaking of the days before there was war and chaos. Much like Sami's world was threatened, our world too, is threatened by environmental and social factors. Sami's grandfather was trying to instill hope just as we need to instill hope into the younger generations that they to could inherit a better world through present actions.

Taberski says, "While we're unable to expand the physical area of our classroom, we can make decisions about what goes into it" (Taberski, 2000, pg.19). The same principle applies to our outdoor environment as well. One should attempt to use products that create less of an impact on the environment in which we live

The books can include anything from keeping the earth clean and/or recycling to saving the rain forest. Poems may be submitted also.

Please choose books or poems appropriate for ages K-6.

Nominations due no later than March 5, 2009.

Works cited: Heide, F.P., Gilliland, J.H. (1995). Sami and the time of troubles. Port Orchard, W.A: Sandpiper.

Taberski, S. (2000). On Solid Ground. Portsmouth, NH

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Feb 23, 2009 04:54PM) (new)

Sarah (sed5071) | 14 comments Michael Recycle

I nominate this book by Ellie Bethel because it is about a young boy who encourages and teaches people to recycle using his superhero powers. It does not go into a deep informational setting but just an easy basic understanding about recycling and how it will help our planet. This book would be for children ages 4-8. For the younger children it is a great read aloud and for the older, an independent read. It uses fun, colorful pictures to bring the text to life.

message 3: by Linzi (last edited Feb 17, 2009 06:32PM) (new)

Linzi Wilkinson | 14 comments I nominate the book 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do To Save The Earth written by the Earthworks Group and illustrated by MIchele Montez. The book was published in 1990.
I really like this book because it has so much information for children included in this book. I would use this book as a read aloud or in guided reading to get the children involved in helping to do things for the environment. I think this is a great book for K-6.

message 4: by Darlene (last edited Feb 21, 2009 11:04AM) (new)

Darlene | 14 comments I nominate "Greenpeace" by Melanie Ostopowich. This book is a really good introductory book, it explains all about Greenpeace, gives you things that you can do in the classroom, further readings and web sites and it also includes and index and glossary.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "Into the Woods" by Robert Burleigh. In this book, John Adams Audubon decides to draw the beautiful things of the world because he is worried that it will be gone soon. John says "When I see settlers cutting down the forest trees to make way for towns and farms, I pause and wonder...". This book encourages children to be kind to the world and refrain from destruction. This book would be great for read aloud for students 1st through 6th grade and independent reading for 4th through 6th grade.

message 6: by Lori (last edited Mar 15, 2009 12:20PM) (new)

Lori | 19 comments Rain, Rain, Rain Forest by Brenda Z. Guiberson I nominate the book "Rain, Rain, Rain Forest" by Brenda Z. Guiberson. This books talks about the importance to our environment of preserving the rainforests. Written for children in Grades K-4, students will get a glimpse of the effects of our ecological footprint, and may help inspire them to work toward protecting our most endangered species and wetlands from extinction. Beautifully written and illustrated.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Amici | 16 comments Recycle! A Handbook for Kids by Gail Gibbons

I nominate "Recycle!: A handbook for kids" by Gail Gibbons. This story explains the process of recycling from start to finish and discusses what happens to paper, glass, aluminum cans, and plastic when they are recycled into new products. The theme of this book is to make our planet a safer and healthier place to live with a habit that is fun and easy: recycling! This book is great for grades 2-4!

message 8: by Ericajean (last edited Mar 05, 2009 12:52AM) (new)

Ericajean | 13 comments Earth Day--Hooray! (MathStart 3) by Stuart J. Murphy
I nominate Earth Day—Hooray by Stuart J. Murphy. This story takes a realistic approach to recycling while still making it fun for children. When children begin picking up cans in a park to recycle to buy flowers for the park, they begin inviting others to do the same. This book would be great if teaching a math lesson because it allows children to add and see how math is useful in everyday activities. Friendly pictures make it a great read.

message 9: by Shawn (last edited Mar 02, 2009 02:04PM) (new)

Shawn Cunningham | 15 comments I nominate “Planet Patrol: A Kids’ Action Guide to Earth Care” by Marybeth Loriecki with illustrations by Nancy Meyers.

This book tells of how the animals and the environment are all connected. The book is broken down into sections of “wildlife watch, eco challenges, and daily defense. It tells you the different varieties of animals in each ecosystem, what can be done with the animals and how we can help preserve the Earth. This book is also filled with “action tips” that help you to have a better understanding with nature and how you can do your part to keep the planet clean.

This book would be more towards a transitional reader. It des not use large words, but the pages are broken into heading with categories scattered throughout the pages.

message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Stoner | 10 comments I nominate, "Berenstein Bears: Don't Pollute (Anymore). This book is targeted for K-4 children and stresses the importance of keeping the Earth clean. Once children read this, they can understand what to do and not do to keep our Earth the way it should be. Not to mention, The Berenstein Bears collection is popular amongst children of all ages.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2009 06:34AM) (new)

I nominate "Between Earth and Sky" by Joseph Bruchac. This book shows the importance of helping the next generation to understand sacred places of the Native American history. Uncle Old Bear takes Little Turtle out to see a few of the sacred Native American Indian sites in order to help Little Turtle gain a new reverence for his culture. I think this book deserves to win The Next Generation Award because it depicts the importance of maintaining a knowledge of cultural history and keeping it alive. This book is appropriate for children grades 2-6. Between Earth & Sky Legends of Native American Sacred Places by Joseph Bruchac

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber | 14 comments Franklin Plants a Tree (Franklin TV Storybook) by Sharon Jennings
I nominate the book, "Franklin Plants a Tree" by Paulette Bourgeois and Brenda Clark. The story is about Franklin the turtle and how he wants to plant a tree. This book is targeted toward K-2 grades. The story does not elaborate on environmental issues, but gets across the idea for students this age about little things they can do to help the earth.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 16 comments I nominate "Dear World: How Children Around the World Feel About Our Environment", edited by Lannis Temple and written by children all over the world. Temple calls this "a collection of letter, drawings, and photos from the heart". He compiled it from travels to many countries to visit with children and hear their feelings about the wonders of this planet and their ideas on how and why we need to protect it and appreciate it.

message 14: by Corby (new)

Corby Lancaster | 14 comments Dear Mr. Murphy:

I am a returning adult student at Penn State Altoona. I am currently studying to be an Elementary teacher. In our Language arts class , we were given an assignment to think of a topic that is important to us. Once we selected a topic, we were to write an award describing what we were basing the award on. Then we were to call for a nomination of books that fit our category from our classmates.

My award is called the Next Generation. I am pleased to tell you that your book, Earth Day-Hooray has won the award. I chose your book because I really like the way it shows the children getting the community to work together to better the environment. I also like the way you incorporate math into this story and the facts that you show about recycling. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. I will definitely make it part of my classroom someday.

We will be holding our award ceremony in Altoona at the Altoona Public Library on March 26, 2009. I would like to invite you to attend. If you are able to that would be great! If you are unable to attend, I would like to mail you your certificate. Would you be able to give me your address?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Corby Lancaster