Animal Rights Group discussion

Interesting Things > Animal Testing Is Wrong

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I am against animal testing as I’m sure many vegans are. It’s in the definition of vegan, after all:

vegan: (noun) person who seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose.

I have many compelling reasons to avoid products tested on animals. And I have many compelling reasons to encourage the abolition of all animal testing. My main reason, however, is that animal testing is unethical. It’s wrong.

Just like it’s wrong to experiment on children, people of color, disabled people or any human being without their consent, it’s also wrong to experiment on animals.

As Mark Twain wrote:

“I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn’t. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it. The pains which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity towards it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.”

Not everyone agrees. Orac, a pseudonym for someone who claims to be a surgeon/scientist, has a blog. In it, he says:

“One of the greatest threats to the preclinical research necessary for science-based medicine today is animal rights activism.”

He, like many pro-violence and anti-animal people, mischaracterizes the animal rights arguments against vivisection. He calls our non-violence, pro-peace, and pro-animal position a “threat.” He claims our arguments are these:

Animal research doesn’t teach us anything of value or even misleads us (i.e., it is bad science).
Animal research does not predict human physiology or response to disease, or animals are “just too different from humans to give reliable results” (i.e., it is bad science).
There are better ways of getting the information that do not use animals (i.e., there is better science available than using animals.)
And then he sets off on rejecting those arguments. He tries, but he just can’t do a great job.

He must concede, though he may not, that animal testing has led us down the wrong path in the past and will likely continue to produce misleading or wrong information that harms humans.
He must concede, though he may not, that animal testing is not always reliable and that animal species have significant differences, none of which satisfactorily justify animal testing.
He must concede, though he may not, that there are better, in the sense of good, not necessarily in the sense of productive, ways of getting information that do not use animals, some of which that are also more productive.
The thing is, those aren’t the essential criticisms of animal testing. The essential criticism, as stated above, is that vivisection is wrong.

For more information, please visit these websites:

The Truth About Vivisection
National Anti-Vivisection Society
American Anti-Vivisection Society
New England Anti-Vivisection Society

message 2: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 2 comments thank you. so very much. For making this. I usually get so angry that I make myself sick when it comes to animal testing. It's oathetic. My mom was a vegan for a year or two,, and I was vegetarian. And your totally right. There is no reason for us to test on animals. And what really bothers me is something I stumbled across when looking at pictures of Beagles. Because I have a beagle. In Britain, beagles are forced to smoke. Sounds stupid? You bet. For reasearch on the "safer cigarette" hundreds of beagles are amde to suffer. They are haven blood smaples taken from their throats, and are forced into machines that sends smoke into their lungs. Some of the dogs have even developed a smokers cough. For humans stupid addiction these animals have to suffer. And FedEx moves the dead beagle parts. Hold on, and I'll see if I cna get some links for that...

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 2 comments http://freetheanimals.homestead.com/c...
there's one. sprry dun know how to work the url thing. The site I first went to www.huntingdonsucks.com has been shut down or something because the link doesn't work.

http://www.smokinganimals.com/sa-fcen...

sorry if this is going against any rules or anything in this group or site. If so I would be happy to delete it.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments what!!!!! i cant believe they would test on animals for the cigarettes.......!!!!!!! i hate animal testing , i cant belive they would do that to them......>.< its so sad ...i feel bad for what those animals have to go through

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'lll have to check that out... that's cruel!

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments yah it is :[

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

that is so sad i cant belive that i think that it would make them get addicted to it them they would go crazy and hurt themselvesand posably die

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments i know....i can't believe ppl would do this and not even care