Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Any Grocery Game Gals?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I've thought about doing this forever and decided to take the plunge thanks in part to the nudging economy. Anyone else do this or have done this? Tips? Suggestions?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Ooh Tera, I don't know what this is....can you explain?

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
It's a site that you register for (the first 4 weeks is 1.00) and then you pick the stores in your area you want to focus on. What they do is go through the weekly sales for the stores you've picked and matches them with current coupons and specials and shows you where the best deals are. The idea is to stock up on the things that are a really good deal, get your stockpile of goods and then only buy what you need and eventually you get a good pantry of food that you saved $$$ on. They go through and tell you how much the item is, how much it is on sale, how much it is with the coupon, and the % that you then save. They even list the things you can get for free with the correct coupons. Here is a link http://www.thegrocerygame.com/con__Wh...
I've heard good things about it and saw her on a few morning shows recently. They claim to be able to save you a lot of money and I read their message boards and they have some devoted followers.

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli I think I might try this Tera...I've been hearing alot of good stuff about it lately.

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments If you live in the Southeast, watching SouthernSavers.com is better. It's free! Jenny, the site owner, scours the ads and coupons, links printable coupons, lists them all by store and week, and even shows you how to take advantage of CVS ExtraCare Bucks and Walgreens Register Rewards to get items for free. She has examples of her own purchases worth $70+ for $5 out of pocket and $40 in store rewards/bucks in hand for next time. I was already saving money with sales and coupons on my own, but after checking out her site, I saved over $210 this month on grocery and personal care items I would normally buy.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments I'm checking out the Southern Savers site. I just don't know if the Grocery Game is worth it for me (in terms of saving me as much as I have to pay to use the site). I've considered it several times but never sign up.

If you have any luck Holli, let us know!

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli I just read through it Jackie and I think I agree with you. I don't think it will save me enough and I don't shop like she does as there is only two of us. So I'm going to pass on it......

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments That's what I thought too, Holli. I think it might be worth if someone is shopping for a family. But we only shop for 2 and one of us is an incredibly picky eater. So we get what he likes no matter how much it is vs. what is going to save us money and he would eat it anyway.

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli I have that same problem here too Jackie!! LOL ;) What is up with the pickiness? Makes it so hard to cook for him sometimes.....

message 10: by Corinna (new)

Corinna (vegasnative) | 70 comments I did the grocery game a few years ago and didn't care for it. I quit after my 4-week trial. The reason I didn't like it is because I could not pick what store I wanted to see the specials for. It asigned "one" to me and it happened to be a store that I didn't shop at a lot. I could have "added" stores giving me more options, it would have cost more money, and still I wasn't able to pick which store I wanted, it would generate the store for me so once again I wasn't guaranteed to get the store I shopped at the most. I don't know if this has changed since because I read Tera said she actually picked her stores.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments Holli, I don't even try! I keep a stock of some of the food I'll know he'll eat.

If I'm making a dinner I know he'll eat, I make enough for both of us. If not, he can feed himself. :)