Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Comments made on progress updates?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dottie (last edited Jan 30, 2009 12:18PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 337 comments Yesterday I had a comment from a friend on one of my progress updates and I answered -- thus two comments. I looked at that book to update page number again this morning and it shows no comments in the update comments -- i went back to the main page updates and went back a bit and found the two comments and a third one from the friend -- checked the book page again -- still says 0 comments.

Caching maybe? Or is it a glitch?

The book with the missing comments is An Unthymely Death and Other Garden Mysteries

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 45 comments Dottie,
I have the exact same problem with a book I am currently reading - Blindness

I received an email notificatio of a comment but it does not appear anywhere on my profile. I can only reach it if I click on the link in my email.

message 3: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Hmmm, I thought there was a way to get back to the progress updates through the book page, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I received an email notification of a comment but it does not appear anywhere on my profile.

Yeah, I would like to see some notification in GR that there are new progress update comments. I have turned off most email notifications. But that seems to be one of the few things that you don't see "new" messages for on the homepage.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 45 comments I can get back to the updates but when I go there it shows 0 comments. If I go throught the email link there are 2 comments. It's weird.

message 5: by Dottie (last edited Jan 30, 2009 03:15PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 337 comments The comments showed up on my homepage feed just fine. It just isn't showing up on the book page or when I go to the updates. I have no trouble getting to both of my updates by clicking the 'see all updates on this book' but when I see the updates the comments do not appear. Hmmm. I just had an idea. I'll go check it out and come back to edit.

Okay -- on Anna Karenina, I had also had a comment on an update but it, too, is no longer there. Maybe I've misunderstood and the comments on updates are not included in what is kept in our update log? Is that it?

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5102 comments Yeah, it seems that comments made on progress updates are not linked to the comments on your review. It would be really, really nice if this was changed.

message 7: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 517 comments Hey, Dottie! :-)

That happened to me, too. Yesterday, had a "chat" on the book status I was reading and now all the non-book comments are gone. The initial, I'm on page so-and-so is still there but nothing else.

I've already questioned the person I was chatting with and she didn't delete the comments. I didn't delete the comments....

message 8: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
It appears there is confusion around the fact that comments on update statuses are different from comments on reviews. We made it this way because otherwise the context of the comments would get really weird. I think I'll try adding more info about the statuses to the page where you comment on reviews, and see if that helps...

ps. Kathrynn - your comments are not gone

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 45 comments Otis,
I can not find the two comments made on my status update for Blindness which I am currently reading. I just checked again and there is nothing there.

message 10: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Lee: http://www.goodreads.com/user_status/...

Things should get easier after the next release - you will just have to go to the book page then "view comments".

message 11: by Lee (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 45 comments Arrrgghhh! How did you do that! I thought I looked in all the right places. Thanks Otis.

message 12: by Kathrynn (last edited Feb 03, 2009 06:44PM) (new)

Kathrynn | 517 comments Hey, how did you do that? I went to post my final update and all those updates were gone. I looked all around for those comments????

Well, glad the mystery is solved.

Thanks Otis!

(Did you pull those out of your hat?) ;-)

message 13: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

You can view all your updates (and which ones have comments) by clicking on a single update (click on the date to get there), then click on "all my updates"

message 14: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments It looks like status updates from books you've marked "read" don't show up with the "updates: view all x status updates" link, unless you've done a final update to bump the book to the last page.

Is there any way we can skip that requirement and automatically see the link when we transition from "currently-reading" to "read"?

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_sherwin) | 19 comments I never consciously post "made progress with..." updates, yet these often appear on my Facebook activity log. What triggers them? Sometimes they appear as soon as I add a book, in addition to the "started reading" post. I am usually reading several books concurrently. Does this confuse the app? I don't want to clutter up my friends' newsfeeds. All I want to post on Facebook is what I've finished reading and reviews. Can anyone refer me to a help file that will tell me how customize this app?

message 16: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (meghankrogh) Ann, whenever you update the page or percentage number of your progress through a book, this triggers that update. You can change your settings for what posts to Facebook on the apps settings page.

message 17: by Ann (last edited Mar 30, 2014 06:07PM) (new)

Ann (ann_sherwin) | 19 comments I'm not sure I understand. I've never made interim updates about a particular book (page number or percentage). I only add a book when I start reading it and announce when I've finished it — then I rate it and occasionally write a review. Nothing in the interim. So something else I do must trigger it. Today I went back and looked at two books I had finished a few months ago and changed a category shelf for one of them. But just calling up these books to look at seems to have triggered posts that I had finished reading them today — even though they had already been on my "Read" shelf for weeks or months. I deleted these new posts from FB, but surely they should not have been triggered in the first place.

message 18: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (meghankrogh) Ann, that does sound like odd behavior—could you email support at goodreads dot com with the information you've just given me so someone can take a look at this for you? We don't discuss personal account behavior in a private forum for your protection, but if you email I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_sherwin) | 19 comments Thanks, Meghan. I just took a screen shot of our discussion and sent it to Support.