Young Adult Fiction! discussion

The Library-(book suggestions) > Latino/Latina Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 25 comments Mod
Any recommendations for great reads that are either written by or about Latinos?

My personal collection is sorely lacking.

I have read Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan and Parrot in the Oven: Mi Vida by Victor Matinez and loved them both.

Any suggestions? Favorites?

message 2: by elissa (new)

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 16 comments Two that quickly come to mind are BECOMING NAOMI LEON (not quite as good as ESPERANZA RISING, but still very good), and BREAKING THROUGH by Francisco Jimenez.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissacwalker) | 5 comments There's a 12 Days of Christmas blog tour going on right now that is all based around Latina YA authors... you can see who's participating on my blog here:
http://www.melissacwalker.com/blog/20...

AND, Kelly Parra is a great Latina YA writer--Graffiti Girl was a lot of fun!

Melissa

message 4: by Boyd (new)

Boyd | 17 comments I'm only putting up the titles:
Estrella's Quinceañera
The Tequila Worm
House of the Scorpion
Crossing the Wire
La Vida Loca

Yay! Thanks, keep them coming.

I just finished Estrella's Quinceanera by Malin Alegria and it was great! I highly Recommend it.

message 7: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen The Beacon Street Girls series recently came out with the character Isabel's special adventure, she is Mexican and her sister has her quinceanera in it.

message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Brunner (maureenbrunner) | 6 comments Gary Soto is a fantastic YA Latino author! I recommend Afterlife and Buried Onions (companion books) to my Latino students (especially the boys) all the time.