Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Your Kryptonite!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What is unhealthy/bad for you that you struggle to resist?

(And I know, by the way, that I'm somewhat loosely using the kryptonite metaphor because Superman wasn't attracted to it...just to be clear.)

Lately those goddamn so good Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are calling me from my freezer.

http://skinnycow.com/myproducts/sandw...

They're not horrible for you, but, you know, when you eat them all...

Quesadillas, too...

And...you?

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Ice cream and beer are my Kryptonite.

Lately, however, I've switched to low-fat ice cream; Breyer's Slow Churn ice cream has less calories and fewer grams of fat than their regular ice cream. I've also laid off the beer for a while.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I'm going to have to think about this and come back to it momentarily. I know I have something better than "chocolate" or some such.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Beer, pizza and cashews.

I'll put the lid back on a can of cashews, put it in the cupboard behind things so I don't easily see it, but it's all in vain as I typically come back 10 minutes later and do the whole thing all over again.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Beer, bacon, and gravy. I'm particularly vulnerable to places that serve breakfast 24-7 after a night of drinking.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments See's chocolates, specifically. I can have a bag of chocolate chips in the house and leave them alone, but not a box of See's. I am mesmerized into eating at least three at a time.
Even if I leave them way downstairs in the living room, I can sense them radiating pure deliciousness...

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

I thought of one: Ruffles and onion dip. It is physically impossible for me to step away. I've had friends actually cross the room and move the offending items away from me so they could hear something else besides the sound of me stuffing my face as fast as I can. I've been known to eat this for breakfast with beer to wash it down when I'm on vacation and eating the foods I normally withhold for reasons relating to basic human health.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) For me it's nacho cheese Doritos and onion dip.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Well, if we ever hung out we'd have to get two bags of chips and perhaps we could share the dip, save ourselves 700 calories or so by not eating the whole thing alone.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good plan.

message 11: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments Her name is....

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Slim Shady?

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments My kryptonites are a good beer, pizza, cashews, and those damned cigs. I thought I had quit smoking, but in my wifes moment of her own weakness bought me some so that I could fall with her.

As far as cashews goes, I too can eat a whole jar. I have tried hiding them, I've even tried sharing them to give me less. It all fails.

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments I used to try and steal entire tins of cashew brittle from my moms Christmas Eve. I would always be caught..:(

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Isabella wrote: "I don't know if they get sold in the US. But I have developed an addiction for Magnum Double Dark Chocolate ice cream.
Soon I will be eating it for breakfast:( "

Sadly, I can only think filthy thoughts when reading this, as Magnum is a completely different product to me.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I like putting things in my mouth to inhale into my lungs. It's a problem.

message 17: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Hmm... Starburst Baja California Fruit Chews & the cinnamon scones that my mom makes. Haha, I'm sure there's more, though. I just don't want to admit them. I have quite a sweet tooth, let's leave it at that.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Just one sweet tooth, Matthew?

message 19: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Haha, I wish...

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's one of those odd expressions, isn't it? Like having a green thumb.

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cheese of any kind in any form - brie, blue, cheddar, melted, the big 'ole tub of Nacho fake cheese...

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

ooooo, cheese.

A friend's 25 things list says he hates melted cheese. I can't imagine that, I'd eat anything if it involved melted cheese.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ditto.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm seriously trying to think of a food that is not made better by melted cheese.

Cereal? Oranges?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I love fats on carbs. That's my favorite combo.

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

I have a hard time not liking any grilled cheese sandwich I've ever been served.

I also like a good Monte Cristo from time to time.

Melted brie and raspberry jam on a baguette is a good one.

message 27: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments This weekend it has been 7 layer bean dip. Why, oh why, am I powerless to resist the sheer awesomeness that is contained within those 7 meager layers? It's like Sally and the onion dip- people have to take it away from me. I've almost run out of chips and I still have half a tub. I don't care. Give me a spoon and I will shovel that crap right down my gullet.

Also, cheese makes everything better. This is an axiom by which my life is lived. Beer and Cheese? Even better.

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Logan...how about some beer cheese soup to go along with that 7 layer dip?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wisconsi...

Books Ring Mah Bell Bacon.
Bacon.
Bacon.

Deep fried cauliflower, pickles.

French fries.

Potato chips.

message 30: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments RA, my love for beer cheese soup knows no bounds. We limit it to a once or twice yearly event because otherwise my arteries would flow with pure cheesy goodness. It's actually our Thanksgiving tradition in lieu of turkey.

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ooh! I'm glad you brought this up, Logan...maybe I'll make some for the Super Bowl...

message 32: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments cheese
bacon
FUDGE

message 33: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy I love that if you open a thread in GoodReads by employing a metaphor which is very subtly inaccurate, you have to preface the thread by noting that you are fully aware of said very subtle inaccuracy, presumably lest you be attacked by the pedantical hordes.

Oh and -- boobs. Boobs and booze.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Where have you been all month, Isaiah?

message 35: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy Oh, I've just been getting busier and busier at work, Sally, thanks for asking. I'm afraid it's not likely to let up any time soon. And I have a triathlon in about a month I really want to do well at so I've been focusing on that too.

message 36: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments A triathalon? Damn. I can bet the training keeps you busy. Good luck, Isaiah...

Speaking of boobs and kryptonite...I would like to assert, ladies and gentlemen, that for heterosexual guys not watching a pretty girl walk by can be almost painfully difficult. It's like you have to force yourself not to look if you're in danger of getting busted. I'm convinced most guys spend years developing techniques to avoid getting caught while still catching a glance. And we probably still get caught anyway, but women are gracious enough not to say anything.

message 37: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments It's all about the sunglasses, mon cher ami.

message 38: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hm...I could use a new pair...:)

message 39: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I think we're the only ones still awake, Anthony... Circadian rhythms are overrated.

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

Still awake or already up?

message 41: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh...I was already up...I fell asleep last night at halftime...

message 42: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy You know, I don't really try to not look. In fact, I would assert that women generally are okay with you looking. The actual trouble is, there's a line between "admiring glance" and "lascivious stare" which is difficult to master.

message 43: by Félix (last edited Feb 02, 2009 10:34AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would tend to agree, Isaiah. But I believe the original idea was discretion for the benefit of the feelings of the one you're with when you do the looking, discretion being the better part of the proverbial valor.

message 44: by trivialchemy (last edited Feb 02, 2009 10:43AM) (new)

trivialchemy Ah, I see. Yes that's a different scenario entirely. That would indeed require a coping mechanism of some kind.

It's obvious my initial perspective was that of the bachelor.

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes I remember seeing it that way, too.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

I find it interesting that the "how to avoid being caught leering at boobies" conversation is under the "your kryptonite" thread.

message 47: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 02, 2009 10:56AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have gone on record before saying I'm not a boob person. I find the view much more interesting when the person is walking away...it's easier not to get caught, too.

message 48: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy Hey! It's not "leering" necessarily, as I took pains to point out.

And what better thread for it? Boobies make me weak-kneed and otherwise unable to carry out basic motor functions, just like kryptonite.

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

Too...many...comments...must step away...from keyboard.

message 50: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell What you do is make some sort of distracting gesture, like grabbing your coffee cup or raising you wrist to look at your watch, then nobody is watching where your eyes are directed. It's a skill.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.