75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2009 Challenge) > Lesley's 2009 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 1. John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop / John Howe. 3/5. I was excited to read it as I'd read his new book on dragons in December, but it had a lot of the same stuff in it.

message 2: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 2. Tales of Beedle the Bard / JK Rowling. 3/5. The best part was Dumbledore's commentary.

message 3: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 3. The Lord of the Rings-the Fellowship of the Ring / JRR Tolkien. 5/5.

message 4: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 4. Cryptonomicon / Neal Stephenson. 4/5. I really need to read some shorter books if I'm going to finish this challenge!

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 5. Tao of Bow Wow / Deborah Wood 4/5. We'll see if my rating changes once I actually try to train the dog.

message 6: by Karol (new)

Karol Lesley, your comments on #4 and #5 made me LOL. Good luck training the dog!

message 7: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 7. Mirrormask / Neil Gaiman & Dave McKean 3/5.

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 8. Heal Your Headache: The 1-2-3 Program for Taking Charge of Your Pain / David Buchholz 3/5. Read with my hubby to deal with his migraines.

message 9: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 9. Another exciting read: Ears - An Owners Manual by Rod Moser. Bought an otoscope, had to learn how to use it and learn what I was looking at...courtesy of 7 yr old son, aka Mr. Ear Infection.

message 10: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 10. The Vinyl Underground Vol. 2: Pretty Dead Things / Si Spencer. 4/5. This was brilliant!

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 11. The Vinyl Underground Vol.1:Watching the Detectives / Si Spencer. 4/5. One would think I would have read them in order...

message 12: by Stacie (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1786 comments Lesley wrote: "3. The Lord of the Rings / JRR Tolkien. 5/5. "
Hey, you should be able to count that as three books! :)

message 13: by Lesley (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Lesley (latlansky) Stacie wrote: "Lesley wrote: "3. The Lord of the Rings / JRR Tolkien. 5/5. "
Hey, you should be able to count that as three books! :)

OMG you are right! Thank you!

message 14: by Lesley (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 12. The Lord of the Rings-The Two Towers / JRR Tolkien. 5/5.

message 15: by Lesley (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 13. The Lord of the Rings-Return of the King / JRR Tolkien. 5/5. Hee!

message 16: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 14. Another Roadside Attraction / Tom Robbins. 1/5. Wow. I kept reading to give it a chance, then I finished it because it was short enough to do so, but man, what a waste of time.

message 17: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jacobaugust) | 199 comments Lesley wrote: "4. Cryptonomicon / Neal Stephenson. 4/5. I really need to read some shorter books if I'm going to finish this challenge!"

Have you read any other Stephenson? I have the Baroque Cycle straining my bookshelf and I'm eager to get into it (once I'm close enough to 75 that I don't have to worry about taking some extra time, of course)

message 18: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) Jacob wrote: "Lesley wrote: "4. Cryptonomicon / Neal Stephenson. 4/5. I really need to read some shorter books if I'm going to finish this challenge!"

Have you read any other Stephenson? I have the Baroque C..."

I started to read the first book in that cycle right after it came out, I had it from the library and there was no way I could get far into it before I had to return it. They are on my to-read list, but yeah, need to wait I think! I have read Snow Crash also.

message 19: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 15. Absolute Watchmen / Alan Moore. 3/5.

message 20: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 16. Absolute Sandman Vol. 1 / Neil Gaiman. 4/5. Glad there are 3 more volumes, this stuff is totally up my alley.

message 21: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 17. Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1 / Brian K. Vaughan. 3/5. I hate when books from the library reek of cigarettes.

message 22: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 18. Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2 / Brian K. Vaughan 3/5.

message 23: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 19. Strange Pilgrims / Gabriel Garcia Marquez 2/5. Meh.

message 24: by Cait (new)

Cait Lesley wrote: "Jacob wrote: "Lesley wrote: "4. Cryptonomicon / Neal Stephenson. 4/5. I really need to read some shorter books if I'm going to finish this challenge!"

Have you read any other Stephenson? I have t..."

Snow Crash is an absolute must. It's incredible. I recommend it to all my sci-fi/ CS major/ Neal Stephenson friends.

message 25: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 20. Parenting Beyond Belief / Dale McGowan. 3/5.

message 26: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 21. River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze / Peter Hessler. 4/5.

message 27: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 22. Getting Things Done: the Art of Stress Free Productivity / David Allen. 3/5. Here's hopin'.

message 28: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 23. The City of Ember / Jeanne Duprau. 3/5.

message 29: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 24. James and the Giant Peach / Roald Dahl. 3/5. I'm "pre-reading" things for my son (to see if a book is too old for him still, or too scary).

message 30: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 25. A Wrinkle in Time / Madeleine L'Engle. 3/5. I thought I'd read this as a kid but none of it is familiar. Odd.

message 31: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 26. A Wind in the Door / Madeleine L'Engle. 4/5.

message 32: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 27. Bone Vol. 1: Out from Boneville / Jeff Smith. 2/5. I have no idea why people like this. Writing was terrible, story uninteresting, characters unlikeable. Maybe I should give it a 1/5? Only gave 2/5 because I actually finished it.

message 33: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 28. The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health / T. Colin Campbell. 4/5.

message 34: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 29. Absolute Sandman Vol. 2 / Neil Gaiman. 4/5.

message 35: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 30. B is for Beer / Tom Robbins. 3/5.

message 36: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 31. Beowulf: A New Verse Translation / Anonymous, Seamus Heaney. 3/5.

message 37: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 32. Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens / Douglas Tallamy. 3/5.

message 38: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 33. People of Sparks / Jeanne Duprau. 2/5. I'm a reading machine! LOL

message 39: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 34. Blood+, Volume 3: Boy Meets Girl / Ryo Ikehata. 3/5.

message 40: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 35. City of Glass / Cassandra Clare. 4/5.

message 41: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 36. The Zen of Creative Painting: An Elegant Design for Revealing Your Muse / Jeanne Carbonetti. 2/5. I just wasn't getting out of it what I thought I'd get out of it.

message 42: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 37. de Kooning: An American Master / Mark Stevens, Annalyn Swan. 3/5. Wow. That was a long book. Part of my first ever participation in a twitter book club.

message 43: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 38. Blank Spots on the Map: The Dark Geography of the Pentagon's Secret World / Trevor Paglen. 3/5.

message 44: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 39. Holy Terrors: Gargoyles on Medieval Buildings / Janetta Rebold Benton. 3/5.

message 45: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 40. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince / J.K. Rowling. 4/5.

message 46: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 41. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows / J.K. Rowling. 5/5.

message 47: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 42. The Absolute Sandman Vol. 3 / Neil Gaiman. 4/5.

message 48: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 43. Torchwood: Almost Perfect / James Goss. 3/5.

message 49: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 44. The Demon's Lexicon / Sarah Rees Brennan. 2.5/5.

message 50: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (latlansky) 45. I'd Rather Be In the Studio! / Alyson B. Stanfield. 4/5.

« previous 1